Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I have had this game for about 2 or 3 weeks now. I have gone through the quick start guide, and have read the instruction booklet about 3 times. I have also played 3 "learning" games, just to figure out all of the dynamics, and how to handle situations. I have also read through about half of the forum topics for the rules of the game. I have also taught the game to new players, and after all of this, we decided to play it with 8 people during a New Years eve party.

The setup took about 20 minutes, which also included some explaining about the game to 4 people who have never played this before. 2 of them have never played anything like this before, so their eyes were pretty glazed over the entire game.

After we got started, we only had to refer to the rulebook a couple of times to remind us of what to do. Because we have the rules down (including advanced components) we were able to focus more on the theme, the dangers and adventures you face, and how the enemies interact.

Even with half of our people who have never played, this round (cooperative) was a very easy win. We scored 60 fortune (yeah, I ignore the last "bonus" of that one character who is suppose to add 2 fortune per player, screw that) in about 90 minutes. The Nazi's only scored 1 point on their point tracker, because we would rush whatever artifact they were placed at, and we hardly ever camped. That limited the number of dice they rolled, and they usually ended up at a blank space by their turn, because we already grabbed the artifact in our adventure phase. We even had to place 2 more villains in cities, but we just ignored those.

After this game, it makes me think that we should increase the difficulty in some way, like playing against both Nazi's and Mobsters at the same time or something.

I cant wait to play this game again with our group, now that we are better understanding the rules, and are more focused on having fun with the game and its dynamics.

Its definitely a keeper on our game shelf. As long as you have people who know the rules well, and can explain things to other players, its a great game for a large group.

I think I need to try out the competitive version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
8-player game in 90 minutes? nice.
I only played a game with 3 players and it took us some while longer to finish.
In our cooperative struggle against the nazis, it never appeared to us as very easy because the nazi's overcame dangers pretty fast and scored quickly. I guess the dice and cards can be game-changers?
Another competitive game with 3 players also took a couple hours but it gives a very different gameplay.

After all, I like the game very much. It's different every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have noticed that the game dynamics vary. I like that, because it keeps the gaming fresh. We played one competitive round with 4 people, and the villains scored 13 points before we even got to 15 fortune. I think we scored 13 more before the game was done, but we were hardly half way there when they won.

The dice were totally in our favor that time. We only hit 2 cliffhangers, and the enemies never won more than 2 danger markers per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.