Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for suggestions...high on strategy... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Taylor
msg tools
I am part of a small gaming group that meets every few weeks. There are 8 of us total, but typically we are able to get 6 of us together. We've been into gaming for a couple years and we have been able to accumulate a fair amount of games...Power Grid, Santiago, Agricola, Intrigue, 7 Wonders, Robo Rally, Traders of Genoa, Chicago Express, Citadels, Puerto Rico, Settlers of Catan, Acquire, and Chinatown are examples. We've also played some online Diplomacy as a group.

We are an easy going group but we like games that are deep in strategy. We also like to "razz" each other as we out-think each other. We share a lot of laughs when we play, but we're all very competitive.

Can you recommend any high strategy games that would accomodate a minimum of 6 players? We've enjoyed the games listed above... 7 Wonders may be the slight favorite of the group because there is no downtime. We are contemplating A Game of Thrones (2nd edition), so I am wondering if there are other games you might recommend instead?

Thanks much!
Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind 6 as a MAXIMUM number of players, try
Dominant Species.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Dominant Species.

I'd say Imperial or Imperial 2030.

Also, there's one more game that I have in mind when I read this,
Quote:
.....we like games that are deep in strategy. We also like to "razz" each other as we out-think each other. We share a lot of laughs when we play, but we're all very competitive.

it's Hansa Teutonica. But too bad it's only for 5 players. But please, do check it out. The quote basically explains my exact gameplay with my friends when we're playing Hansa. Plus, since we're all very competitive, the fastest game we had for 5 players was 45 minutes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, the request for a good strategy game that plays with "at least" six players, is going to be VERY tough.

With that in mind, here are a few efforts at something that might work for you:

Struggle of Empires - Wargame. Wallace. plays up to 7.

Cosmic Encounter - More chaos here, but mini strategies are present at every turn. Your comment about "razzing" each other makes me think this one would be a hit. It's invites the razz. Base game plays 5 players, but you can pick up both expansions and take it up to 7 players.

Eclipse - Cult of the new. It plays up to six. I haven't played it yet, but I own it and have high hopes. You should definitely be looking into it as many have already claimed it fits the grand-strategy-in-less-time role.

FWIW, A Game of Thrones is good. It would sit on my shelf for way too long between plays, so I don't have it. But when I played it, it created a good sense of grand strategy, mixed with war, diplomacy, and backstabbing.

+1 Dominant Species

I hope this helps! Good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Dominant Species and Eclipse, both of which max out at 6 players. Honestly though you'll be hard pushed to find many solid, medium to heavy strategy games that don't max out at 6 (or under). I'm not saying that there aren't any but the selection will be fairly small.

That said both StarCraft: The Board Game and Warrior Knights play up to 6 as well, although if you go for Warrior Knights I'd also make sure to pick up Warrior Knights: Crown and Glory, which markedly improves the base game and doesn't cost much extra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Taylor
msg tools
Wow. You guys are awesome. I was looking at Dominant Species, but where can I find it without paying $100 for it?

Hansa is definitely a game we've been considering and one in our group just got Imperial, which we're looking forward to trying.

I really appreciate the suggestions...I'll be checking all of these out today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.