Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Matthew
Australia
Dubbo
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it really a TI3/Through the Ages Hybrid? I would appreciate a quick sound bite style description of the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A few words? How about: Not Available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthew
Australia
Dubbo
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boisse wrote:

One day it will be. One day... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will use the words that sold it to my wargame/Ameritrash loving friend which he agreed with 100%

"A good Euro/efficiency/economic engine powering a very cool war machine."

Better than TI3 because the battles are constant, flowing, and the ships can be customized in exciting/interesting ways that are always changing based on the techs and situation. Better than a Euro because the economic side is simple, easy to run with significant consequences, and no artificial limitations except the tech draws, hex draws (which both mean one strategy won't work all the time), and the costs.

I thought Runewars was a good mix of economics/war games, but I see it is a plodding, activitation-token-limited turtlefest compared to this game.

Though I haven't played Through the Ages, and generally don't like Euros, but I have played Puerto Rico, Race for the Galaxy, Agricola, and a few others, and I do like Powergrid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
This really isn't like TTA at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boisse wrote:

My local shop has it, but I cannot justify the $100.00 price tag for it.

Hopefully it hits Amazon eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thiessi wrote:
boisse wrote:

One day it will be. One day... cry

I pray for that day....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
detroit cobra
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very streamlined 4x game, that might be better compared to Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game than to ti3 or some other classic AT game. Though you are facing many tough decisions the rules are quite accessable, nearly intuitive to understand even to not so experienced gamers.

Some complain about eclipse being a euro like Agricola, but i don't think some wooden cubes justify that, because it's also a kind of wargame with tech trees and so on. It just provides very slick rules in order to give you a nice gaming experience in a managable amount of time. Besides it scales perfect with the number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
Intuitive.
Ameritrashy-Euro.
Somewhat luck prone.
Lots of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Grumsh wrote:
boisse wrote:

My local shop has it, but I cannot justify the $100.00 price tag for it.

There's a lot of components in it. I like bargains too, but in this case, paying retail didn't seem that bad compared to waiting 4 months. Local shops have to make money sometimes, and this seems like a good opportunity to help them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Burns
United States
Centennial
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some mechanics of Through the Ages/Hans Teutonica mixed with a bit of TI3, without the bloat, and no politics, or hidden goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Radcliffe
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceLordOO wrote:
Some mechanics of Through the Ages/Hans Teutonica mixed with a bit of TI3, without the bloat, and no politics, or hidden goals.

My partner really likes TI3, but can't stand Eclipse. The lack of a "mission" that TI3 provides is a big drawback for her.

Thinking about it, secret goals wouldn't be a hard thing to integrate. Expansion maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthew
Australia
Dubbo
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like my kind of game. I've pre-ordered it from milsims, now there is nothing but to wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Campos
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreOfParadise wrote:
SpaceLordOO wrote:

My partner really likes TI3, but can't stand Eclipse. The lack of a "mission" that TI3 provides is a big drawback for her.

Thinking about it, secret goals wouldn't be a hard thing to integrate. Expansion maybe.

That's kind of funny, because in our group we like it because the goals are not as arbitrary as the random objectives in TI3... every game you know the routes to victory, but there are so many different paths to take that no two games have been the same so far.

I do miss the more involved negotiations of the political phase of TI3, but I also have to admit cutting out politics is probably more than half of what speeds this game up so much compared to TI3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It somewhat reminds me to Nexus ops, but with more and better adjustable fights, deeper economy and more the feeling of control and empire building.

I always wanted to design a game like this myself :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreOfParadise wrote:
SpaceLordOO wrote:

I guess Eclipse isn't for people who like to be told what to do by the game. (precisely the reason why I detest TI3). It's better for players who like to decide their strategies and goals for themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I must be playing TI3 wrong then, because in the 6 years of playing it, I've never had a game where I was "told what to do by the game," beyond simply laying out the criteria for how to acquire points. As far as I can tell, Eclipse does that, too (except for Eclipse, those criteria never change between games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Hohkala
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Hmm, I must be playing TI3 wrong then, because in the 6 years of playing it, I've never had a game where I was "told what to do by the game," beyond simply laying out the criteria for how to acquire points. As far as I can tell, Eclipse does that, too (except for Eclipse, those criteria never change between games).

Allthough the productivity (regarding VP) of any one basic goal does change according to how the game progresses.

And you are not tied down to some odd goal like "Capture megatoll Rex" which you perhaps cannot complete due to reasons not within your power.

To each to heir own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Over-hyped space game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, forgot to reply to the OP..

Fast, intuitive and FUN. Streamlined and elegant, but DEEP both strategically and thematically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a blend of Puerto Rico and Galaxy Trucker with some cool area control, buckets-o-dice combat and "screw you, buddy!" thrown in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Geister
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Elegant mechanics in a complex looking package that appeals to my wife."

Very smooth economic development and civilization building that plays far more simply than it first appears. Having never played the games you asked about in your OP, I can't answer those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Through The Ages : Civilization :: Eclipse : Master of Orion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elegant, Epic, Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry
United States
carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wonderful design.
Fun game.
Pity about the missiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.