Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is there full-on "Co-op vs board" or only "Co-op competitive"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Narziss
United States
California
flag msg tools
I was watching some youtube videos and reading about the game, and I couldn't figure this out too easily, so I was hoping you guys could answer it for me:

I noticed that in the game description, it explains that there is co-operative gameplay, but that at the end of each game, one player wins. This makes the game sound, although co-operative, it is only indirectly co-operative because it is ultimately a competitive game.

However, among the various ways you can play this game, is there a way where the board game can just be played entirely as a "team vs. board"?

What I'm really looking for is a challenging "team vs. board" game where no individual player wins, but rather either the team wins or the board wins. Is it possible to play Mage Knight this way?

I really appreciate your response for me to make my decision as to whether purchase this game or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two fully cooperative scenarios in the book, where you have a time limit and collectively have to conquer all of the cities in order to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Eric mentioned above, there are co-operative scenarios. As in some of the other co-ops out there, the game gives you the option to score each individual player, so that even though everyone wins, there is still a main winner.

However, you certainly don't have to play with that option. I won't be!

Scoring involves looking at what you have conquered through the game, what you've acquired, etc.

I hope that helps!

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Narziss
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you so much! — Both of your replies were extremely helpful.

I will be getting the game tomorrow; I'm so excited!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.