Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Asia » Japan

Subject: Going to Japan for 10 days - Any Game Stores/Things to see in/near Ginza District in Tokyo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

I will be traveling to Tokyo and staying in the Ginza District for about a week (in a few months) and I am looking to see if there are:

1. Any game stores in (or nearby) this area.
2. Any must see sights in Tokyo (or nearby) that are accessible by subway or train (preferably a Shinkansen train!).

Also, can anyone suggest an online (free) site to learn a little Japanese?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Abrams
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you're going to be in Tokyo, these are some of the big things to see:

Senso-ji Temple or Asajusa Kannon Temple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sens%C5%8D-ji)

Meiji Shrine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiji_Shrine)

Kabuki-za theater in Ginza (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabuki-za)

Nakajima teahouse (http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Japan/Tokyo_to/Tok...)

Tokyo Tower (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_tower)

Akihabara electronics district (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akihabara)

Tsukiji fish market (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsukiji_fish_market)

Ueno Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ueno_Park)

If you plan on staying in/near the Tokyo area, you won't have much of an opportunity to take a Shinkansen, since they're the bullet trains and usually are only for long distances. If you want to get away from the city for a day or two, you could always take a Shink to Osaka or Kyoto, probably only 2-3 hours by Shinkansen.

I can't really help you out with gaming stores, unfortunately. When I lived in Japan, I wasn't really into gaming that much.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any more questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tsui
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Adding to the above post:

1. Shinkansen: riding the bullet train from Tokyo pretty much means that you are leaving the prefecture (you can ride to Shinagawa, but it is not a sightseeing spot). If you are there only for a week, it's probably the best to just stay in the city. If you really HAVE to ride one, and want a trip that is somewhat close, consider going to Yokohama or Nikko for a day trip.

2. Places you might also want to check out:

a. Odaiba, man made island filled with entertainment

b. Imperial Palace, but you need to reserve a tour if you want to go inside.

c. Harajuku. I don't know your age, but it's mostly for young people. Check out Omotesando if it's too young for your taste.

d. Ghibli Museum. Note that you NEED to have a reservation BEFORE you are there. They don't do reservations on site. You can do it if there's a JTB at where you are living at right now, or any convenience store in Japan.

3. Places I recommend *not* going to (no offence to the post above)

a. Tokyo Tower. If you want a good vantage point to see all of the city, go to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building in Shinjuku instead. It's free, and higher than the main observation deck at Tokyo Tower (the limited deck at the tower is higher, but cost extra to go up to). If your trip is after May 2012, then check out Tokyo Sky Tree instead.

b. Tsukiji Fish Market. Unless you are there for the Tuna auction (which requires you to be there around 5-6am, no reservation), then it's probably not the best place to go to. The workers there are pretty tired of tourists going in there, which disrupt their work (it's a fish market after all, and was not meant to be a tourist spot in the first place.)

4. Game stores: Can't really help you in this department - but do check out Yellow Submarine in Akihabara. There should be some FLGS in Tokyo if you ask around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Japan
tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should check Yellow Submarine in Akihabara. Its the one that has the most reasonable prices. There is also Shosen books in Jimbocho, but I find it a waste of time going there because they ask an arm and a leg for a game.

Also, if you have time come and play a few games with us!
Japan's International Gamers Guild Tokyo (JIGG Tokyo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend visiting Tokyo Disneyland. Preferably two days for both parks, but if you only want to spend one then I would suggest going to Tokyo Disneysea.

- Anatole
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
If you only have time to be in Ginza, go to Hakuhankin Toy Park. Its at the end of the main street next to the Burberry store. You can pick up a Japan only travel edition of Settlers of Catan (in metal case!) and other special editions, but they don't have a wide range of euro games.

Ginza
-----
1. Drop by Itoya. Its at the other end of the main street next to Matsuya Department store. Awesome stationery superstore.

2. Visit the Shiseido Chocolate/Candy Parlour (in between Hakuhankin and Itoya). Yes, this from the renowned cosmetics company!

3. Visit Bic Camera next to the Yurokacho JR train station. About 15 minutes walk from Ginza. This 6 story superstore is an experience! Buy a Hummel bicycle even!

4. Eat in a Japanese Yoshinoya. The real beef bowl in a tiny store the way it isn't overseas! Opposite Itoya.

5. Pick-up Japan only Adidas wear at the main store on Ginza (opposite Shiseido Parlour).

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sairanac wrote:
Ghibli Museum. Note that you NEED to have a reservation BEFORE you are there. They don't do reservations on site. You can do it if there's a JTB at where you are living at right now, or any convenience store in Japan.

I strongly recommend the Ghibli Museum. The most fun I had in Japan the first time I was there. I'm here again now, but in Osaka. If you have to Shinkansen, go to Kyoto and check out Silver Pavilion, Golden Pavilion, and Kiyomizu-deru. All amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone has some great suggestions. I usually recommend the same things that are on Jonathan's list.

If you want gaming stores:

Yellow Submarine in Shinjuku/Akihabara - has a nice selection of games too, including German and Japanese games - I saw some One Draw games there
Here is the Yellow submarine online shop Click on ボードゲーム to see the board game selection, it's in Japanese, but they do have images.

Shosen bookstore
in Jimbocho sells a lot of English games - but they cost more than in the States, but they also have a lot of Japanese games

Tokyu Hands Shibuya / Yodabashi Camera in Shinjuku/Akihabara - are now selling some games (cheaper than the other places)

Roll&Roll station

Access Map
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFlanagan wrote:
Sairanac wrote:
Ghibli Museum. Note that you NEED to have a reservation BEFORE you are there. They don't do reservations on site. You can do it if there's a JTB at where you are living at right now, or any convenience store in Japan.

I strongly recommend the Ghibli Museum. The most fun I had in Japan the first time I was there. I'm here again now, but in Osaka. If you have to Shinkansen, go to Kyoto and check out Silver Pavilion, Golden Pavilion, and Kiyomizu-deru. All amazing.

This sounds like what the group is leaning towards - a full (long) day to Kyoto - possibly even staying overnight.

It sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, when you decide the time you'll be coming over, drop me a GM (Geek mail), and if I can organise a gaming day - or it falls on a JIGG weekend, come play games with us
There's a lot of gaming groups in Tokyo, so depends on your taste

If there's any particular Japanese game you might want drop me a GM also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Japan
tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:

This sounds like what the group is leaning towards - a full (long) day to Kyoto - possibly even staying overnight.

It sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

If you head down to Kyoto I strongly recommend you to go to Gion corner.
http://www.kyoto-gioncorner.com/global/en.html

Its a stage in the Gion area of Kyoto (where all the Geisa and Maiko are) where you can watch and participate in several traditional Japan forms of entertainment. Most prominently, Geisa dance, Japanese theater and Tea ceremony.
I am not recommending you temples, because you can find all the info you need about them as soon as you get off the bullet train.
If I would pick three you must see, then that would be:
the Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkaku-ji
the Kyomizudera
http://www.kiyomizudera.or.jp/lang/01.html
and the Touji
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C5%8D-ji
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
tsondaboy wrote:

If I would pick three you must see, then that would be:
the Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkaku-ji
the Kyomizudera
http://www.kiyomizudera.or.jp/lang/01.html
and the Touji
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C5%8D-ji

I enjoyed far more Ginkaku-ji, the "Temple of the Silver Pavilion," over Kinkaku-ji. Plus it has the advantage of being on the same side of Kyoto as Kiyomizu-dera, and in any event the original Kinkaku-ji was destroyed by fire by an insane monk sixty or so years agao and so is a recent recreation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokyo -

I agree with most things above. I had fresh sushi at Tsukiji for breakfast, the chefs were really nice and it was extremely delicious. It was also my most expensive breakfast... ever.

Kyoto -

Weather was great... My friends and I decided to rent some bicycles to ride around town. It was great. I travelled corner to corner, visiting various temples.

Something that you may want to do, though I recommend only if you stay longer than a week, is to go visit a ryokan. It was an awesome experience alone, and served with delicious food!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bun Sham
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:
Hey everyone,

I will be traveling to Tokyo and staying in the Ginza District for about a week (in a few months) and I am looking to see if there are:

1. Any game stores in (or nearby) this area.
2. Any must see sights in Tokyo (or nearby) that are accessible by subway or train (preferably a Shinkansen train!).

If you are staying in Ginza, you should check out the Ginza Hakuhinkan (Toy Park). I just went there in the last December and I got the Japanese edition of Settlers of Catan and Takenoko. They also got "The Magic Labyrinth" and some other "import" games as well. Ginza Hakuhinkan is not the largest game store in Japan but should be the closest one to you if you are staying in Ginza.

If you want to visit some bigger stores, I suggest you go to the "Yellow Submarine" in Shinjuku or Akihabara. I got "Osaki ni Shitsurei Shima-su!!", Greedy Kingdoms, Battle Break, and a few Japanese boardgame magazines there. Definitely worth visiting!

http://www.hakuhinkan.co.jp/index.html

Map:
http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=ja&geocode=&...:0xd36826b3631ca441,0&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=%E6%9D%B1%E4%BA%AC%E9%83%BD%E4%B8%AD%E5%A4%AE%E5%8C%BA%E9%8A%80%E5%BA%A7%EF%BC%98%E4%B8%81%E7%9B%AE%EF%BC%98%E2%88%92%EF%BC%91%EF%BC%91&ll=35.667872,139.761039&spn=0.001534,0.001993&z=19

http://yellowsubmarine.co.jp/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ammms wrote:

If you are staying in Ginza, you should check out the Ginza Hakuhinkan (Toy Park). I just went there in the last December and I got the Japanese edition of Settlers of Catan and Takenoko. They also got "The Magic Labyrinth" and some other "import" games as well. Ginza Hakuhinkan is not the largest game store in Japan but should be the closest one to you if you are staying in Ginza.

Awesome! Thanks, I'm going to check out that toy park also! More fun and games for me hehehe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Japan
tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yellow Submarine among other stuff had a few old AH titles from what I can recall. Most of them though are reprints from Hobby Japan (in Japanese).

Shosen books has an insane collection of games, thats equally insane with the money the ask for them.
I remember seeing there War in the Pacific (second edition) for about 60000 yen ~ 750$!shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Japan
tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why dont you join us for a game or two?

Japan's International Gamers Guild Tokyo (JIGG Tokyo)

I ve been trying for a while to get a game of Sword of Rome going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Japan
tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent!!!

See you on Sunday I guess then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
manowarplayer wrote:

The Lonely Planet pocket phrasebook is immense - buy it. It's all you'll ever need for a holiday there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I previously lived in Tokyo, but wasn't into board games at the time. When I went back to Japan last fall, I wanted to look up board game stores there and get a feel for what was available there.

I found it really interesting to see what was localized, what was fan-translated (they usually sold the German editions with some attached translated rules), and what local games there were to find.

I went to bunch of stores, some were highlighted on this thread already:

Roll & Roll Station in Akihabara. This store was really cool. It had good selection and wasn't too hard to find (it was on the main drag in Akiba, but the sign wasn't prominent, so you need to be looking for it).

Yellow Submarine in Akihabara. There are about 7 different Yellow Submarine stores in Akiba, and each one focuses on a different hobby/craft geekiness (one for airplane/train model geeks, one for custom doll geeks, one for Magic the Gathering fans, etc). I did finally find the one that was the board game one, but it was a hard find. Once found, it was a really cool store, plenty of cool board games to check out.

Mobius Games in Suidobashi (I believe). This one was less interesting, because it was a single game publisher's store/workshop (so much less selection). But they did have some fun finds. We got a few Japanese (local) board games there, and I found a stand-alone punch-sheet of Puerto Rico's buildings in Japanese (with German on the reverse) for 300 yen. Really spooky store, it's super quiet and very few people inside. Hard to find too.

This map has all of the board game shops in Tokyo (or most), but it's in Japanese, so you might need to flex your Google Translate or Rikai-chan (firefox plugin).

http://www.tgiw.info/etc/link-t.html

While in Akihabara, check out the Radio Kaikan. It's a huge mall of little geek stores, serving some of the smallest geekiness to be found there.

The costume level of the Akiba Don Quixote store is really great too, lots of fun cosplay stuff there, and one of the most popular and famous maid cafes is inside. The AKB 48 mainstage is on the top floor of the building, which is an experience in creepy geekness that is worth witnessing, if you can handle the shock.

Plenty of fun tourist stuff to do too, but you can find that in the guidebooks, so I'll leave it out.

Have fun! Tokyo is a great city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Japan
tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tsondaboy wrote:
Excellent!!!

See you on Sunday I guess then.

In bed probably with the flu.cry
I don't think I will make it tomorrow. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, when I first started the hobby and hadn't discovered the wonderful world of bulk buying/buying elsewhere, I was paying those prices. In Australia the LGS prices are the same as Shosen prices. Awh, wish I was from the States

Scary I know I paid $80 for 7 Wonders in Australia. Lol, it was a toss up of pay $80 in Japan, or pay it to the Aussie LGS. It was worth it, plus I think the LGS in Oz wasn't getting a lot of business, so I was happy to pay that amount.

Ooh I did get a great deal on Castle Ravenloft at Shosen at that time. Plus, they had some rare OOP games, that I snapped up for a reasonable price hehehe. But I still go browse & buy there occasionally if our guardian angel can't get the games I need

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Japan
tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should check Yellow Submarine, there are a few games that are reasonably priced there. Paints, dice, and card sleeves I always buy from YS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Romain which part of Japan do you live in? If you live near Tokyo/Kanagawa/ etc most of us have enough games that you can play. Then you can build up your collection again.

But otherwise if you want to buy games read this then drop me a geekmail :
Anyone want to buy some games from America? JIGG has a new Guardian Angel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.