Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Koziey
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm a new player and play solo only. I've read here that playing solo with a 2 player hand instead of with a single deck as the rules state improves the odds of winning. If the game scales correctly I don't think it should make any difference (or a very small difference). Being a new BGG user I'm not sure how to set up one of those Poll Threads. So perhaps some of the players who have played solo single deck and double deck can provide some insight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you bother about odds of winning then go 2 hands - it's easier to win such way, but harder to manage 2 hands. From other side, solo with 1 hand is very playable, even if harder and with few questionable keywords (sentinel, ranged) and cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
CrackerJack747 wrote:
I'm a new player and play solo only. I've read here that playing solo with a 2 player hand instead of with a single deck as the rules state improves the odds of winning. If the game scales correctly I don't think it should make any difference (or a very small difference). Being a new BGG user I'm not sure how to set up one of those Poll Threads. So perhaps some of the players who have played solo single deck and double deck can provide some insight.

The game does not scale very well. For most scenarios, the more players you have, the easier it is (though there is at least one official scenario where the concencus seems to be that solo is easier than dual).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's NOT about improving the odds of winning, it's about making the game a more satisfying gaming experience. It's the same odds as playing a 2p game cos you draw 2 cards to the staging area. Knowing the cards from both hands doesn't really make any difference... aside from the first scenario (which is basically for learning the game), none of the scenarios are EASY.

It depends what your motivation for playing games is. Personally I want to get the maximum FUN out of my gaming... winning and losing is an irrelevance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
CrackerJack747 wrote:

I enjoy playing two-handed simply because it is quite fun to build two complementary decks. I don't find it too difficult to manage. I just use card racks (e.g., from Battlelore, but Scrabble racks would probably work) to hold the cards.

WelcomeblanktoblankBgg

P.S. You should be able to post a poll it's the Green check mark that appears above the subject line as you create a post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Clarke
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer to play with a single hand - I tried the Dol Guldur scenario with a double hand and my poor aged brain just lost track of everything! I find single-handed much easier to manage and a lot quicker to play. Try both and see what works for you, it's about having fun first and foremost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
snailien
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If I'm playing solo, I only play with one deck. Playing two decks at the same time gets too messy for my liking and there's just too much going on for me to be able to have much fun. I do enjoy building decks so it's fun to think of ways to complement decks, but not as much fun for me to have to play both of them. Luckily, that's where a second person comes in handy!

I have a solo deck that uses Denethor and Unexpected Courage to manage the encounter deck pretty well most of the time, but it doesn't work as well in multiplayer since there's almost always going to be at least one encounter card you won't be able to know until it is revealed. It also uses Bilbo, which creates excellent card advantage every turn in solo play, yet only every other turn in cooperative so it slows my deck down when I play multiplayer.

Plus, sometimes to build the best decks to complement each other, you'd need more than 3 core sets or multiple of the same adventure pack and I just don't have that at my disposal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the core set, and playing only with the 4 lots of pre-made 30 card decks, I find that one deck is very hard, and two decks is easier. But a custom made solo deck would presumably be a lot better. Playing with 2 of the pre-made 30 card decks is really fun as you can see instantly the strengths and weaknesses of the decks.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played with the vanilla 30 card decks so far (2 at a time)... I can't get excited about the deckbuilding thang.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly, highly encourage anyone playing solo to at least try playing with two "tandem" decks at once. It's pretty much the only way I play at this point.

Playing single-deck solo is fantastic for learning the game, especially playing each of the stock core set decks against the first quest to get a feel for the different spheres and game mechanics. Some of the other quests can be beaten by a solo deck, though most of them are very difficult. Beating a quest like Journey down the Anduin, Dol Goldur, or Return to Mirkwood solo is a very difficult challenge that will depend heavily on very good deck-building skills and a whole lot of luck. Obviously there is interesting and rewarding gameplay there that some folks will enjoy but it's highly chance-based and you really miss out on a lot of the interesting card interactions the game can allow.

Playing two decks at once can be slightly daunting at first and requires a decent amount of table space along with maybe some card holders. You also have to accept that individual games will take slightly longer. Once you get used to it, though, it offers a much more interesting and balanced way to play nearly every quest. Having 2 cards come off the encounter deck a turn helps most quests run much more smoothly and evenly with less chance of really odd card streaks. I think it also reduces the overall impact of luck on each individual game and increases the impact of deck construction and player actions on the outcome.

Building two decks to compliment each other and being able to make use of all four spheres and abilities like ranged and sentinel really enriches the deckbuilding side of the game as well.

In terms of difficulty I think nearly all quests are easier with two decks than one, especially considering you have perfect information of both hands. Still, the overall quest difficulty of many quests is so high already that you will still find plenty of challenge.

I still hold by the theory that the game was designed and intended for 2-deck play primarily and that 1 or 3-4 players are supported but not guaranteed to provide consistent challenge or results. I strongly suspect that tournament play, if it ever happens, will focus primarily on 2-deck play.

That's my 2 cents on playing with 2 decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinkle
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few games single-deck and a couple dual-deck (using just the pre-built decks that come with the core game) and I have to say I prefer the single-deck experience. Granted, I haven't tried the harder scenarios yet as the rules still aren't second nature to me, but playing two hands just seemed like too much bookkeeping. Like other posters said, it's all about having fun and tracking two hands, to me, felt less like fun and more like work. But to each their own! Try running two decks and see if it suits you. Don't know that you'll see a huge shift in your win-loss ratio, but if you discover you have more fun playing one way or t'other, I'd say that counts as a win right there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
(though there is at least one official scenario where the concencus seems to be that solo is easier than dual).

Hunt for Gollum, or is there another one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrNate wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
(though there is at least one official scenario where the concencus seems to be that solo is easier than dual).

Hunt for Gollum, or is there another one?

Actually, isn't Massing at Osgiliath considered easier for solo play?

I really can't think of any myself that would be considered "Easy" for solo play, except maybe Carrock which can be gamed with the right kind of deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.