Subject: Moving ships between colonies? (newbie question) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Williams
Australia
Thornbury
VIC
flag msg tools
Hey guys, sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I could not find a specific mention in the offical rules or FAQ.

I just picked up CE last week and have only played a couple of games – but tonight, someone pointed out that maybe we've been doing something wrong:

Can ships be moved between colonies? Or, once a ship is on a colony it's stuck there? If the latter, must ships who have been on a successful ally mission be returned to the colony they came from?

The way we've been playing it, ships can be freely moved between colonies, unless the colony is being attacked.

On a related note of newb questions, do defense allies receive rewards if the main players successfully negotiate? My gut says no, and the rules seem to suggest so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ships can not freely move around your colonies. Your ships are not stuck anywhere. Whenever you need to add ships to an encounter (as offense or an ally), you may use ships from any colony you have (home or foreign).

Whenever you return ships from the warp or from allying, you may place those ships onto any colony you have (home or foreign). Being smart about using your ships is part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacwilliams wrote:
On a related note of newb questions, do defense allies receive rewards if the main players successfully negotiate? My gut says no, and the rules seem to suggest so.
defensive allies do not receive rewards when there's a deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one power, the Amoeba, which has the ability to move ships around more freely (but still not without some restrictions) including to and from one of his colonies being attacked, and including having more than four ships in the cone gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zomber
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One big part of ship placement management involves thinking ahead when you are removing ships from your colonies to be allies or attacking on offense. Those ships may wind up 'returning to your colonies', and it seems thats your best opportunity to try and shift your ships around as your strategy dictates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando
Germany
Weimar
Thuringia
flag msg tools
mb
Where does it mention in the rule book that the ships may return to wherever the player wants after a successful encounter? A player online was insisting it wasn't possible, but i couldn't prove otherwise by reading the manual... If it is not said, where is it implied or from where do people assume it is possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seichi31 wrote:
Where does it mention in the rule book that the ships may return to wherever the player wants after a successful encounter?

Nowhere. It is not possible.

Ships of allies in encounters where both offense and defense picked Negotiates (or ended up making a deal by other means, by alien powers or cards) return to their respective colonies of their choice.

For a successful (or unsuccessful) deal the offense can also send any leftover ships to any of his colonies.

If the offense wins the encounter, all ships on the offense's side land on the target planet (barring special powers or cards).

(Edit: forgot to list this: if the defense wins, defensive allies return to any of their colonies.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.