Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Upton
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen posts from various persons - usually dedicated Pirates CGS players - suggesting that this isn't a good game, or that it isn't as good as the original game. Often the complaints seem to be that the playing area is too small or that the vinyl mat is wrinkled.

I picked up a copy of it for my son for Christmas and have played it with him 2-3 times. It is a fun game and, in my opinion, an improvement over the bare CSG game.

In the CSG game, if you want to have any combat, you mostly have to fight against each other. This is not always a fun thing to do for a father playing against his son. However, in this game, you get lots of practice fighting against the sea monsters and sword fighting Davy Jones. I've yet to play in a game where players fight against each other.

The play mat is small - 24" x 24". It can be played on a table top instead of the floor, for which my mature bones are grateful. The movement rates of the ships are generally fairly low, but since things are close together it doesn't take you a boring long time to get somewhere. The gun ranges are all short as well, so no shooting across the board as such. Like the real ships did, you basically must get yardarm-to-yardarm in a fight.

The vinyl mat has folds in it. This means you can't place ships diagonally across it. However, unless we're talking about actual combat, it doesn't really matter how you place your ships, as long as the bows are in the proper location. Just place the ship squarely across the fold and you'll be all right.

Besides, my son likes the folds. He claims they are just big waves and highly appropriate for a sea setting.

Don't get me wrong. I like the Pirates CSG game. It's just that I find Quest for Davy Jones Gold more fun, varied and interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try using a hair blower set on warm to gently relax the mat so that it is flat.

Another alternative that I use for some of my paper maps is to place a sheet of plexiglass on top (I got it from a framed poster).

Thanks for the review of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Upton
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome. As I said, I asked the experts at www.miniaturetrading.com whether I should buy this game, and the general consensus was, "No." However, through not understanding the buying process on eBay, I found that I had ordered one. I gave it to my son for Christmas, we tried it out - after having tried the Pirates CSG game and several variants of it - and found that it was good, complete in itself, and fun, different and interesting in its own way.

My son actually prefers the Colonize the Caribbean version of Pirates CSG that I posted on BGG, possibly because it is a campaign game and can go on for days, and you get to add more and more ships ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.