Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Physical Resistance & spell casting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tiduz 99
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have two quick questions that when playing I always find myself second guessing so was hoping people could clarify what the exact rules are.

I am open to peoples interpretation if it is not stated explicitly in the rulebook.

1) Quite simply do ranged and siege attacks fall under the "physical" banner?
So if I attack an enemy with physical resistance using a ranged attack is it inefficient?

2) The rules state that the bottom more powerful effect of a spell can only be played at night using black mana if available from the source.
Does this mean that the top effect can be used day & night?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
tiduz99 wrote:
I have two quick questions that when playing I always find myself second guessing so was hoping people could clarify what the exact rules are.

I am open to peoples interpretation if it is not stated explicitly in the rulebook.

So if I attack an enemy with physical resistance using a ranged attack is it inefficient?

2) The rules state that the bottom more powerful effect of a spell can only be played at night using black mana if available from the source.

1. If an attack isnt elemental (fire, ice, coldfire) then it is physical. No if it says "Ranged" or "Siege" is it Physical unless it says otherwise.

2. Yes, the top effect can be used whenever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
tiduz99 wrote:

1. If an attack isnt elemental (fire, ice, coldfire) then it is physical. No if it says "Ranged" or "Siege" is it Physical unless it says otherwise.

2. Yes, the top effect can be used whenever.

Could you clarify answer number 1? Did you mean "So if it says 'Ranged' or 'Siege' it is Physical unless it says otherwise"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiduz 99
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer to question 2.

For question 1 is the below correct then?

Ranged Attack 3 = Physical

Ranged Ice Attack 4 = Elemental so non-physical (assumed this was the case before asking previous quesion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tiduz99 wrote:
Thanks for the answer to question 2.

For question 1 is the below correct then?

Ranged Attack 3 = Physical

Ranged Ice Attack 4 = Elemental so non-physical (assumed this was the case before asking previous quesion)

correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
mvkwasny wrote:
Could you clarify answer number 1? Did you mean "So if it says 'Ranged' or 'Siege' it is Physical unless it says otherwise"?

Not really sure what there is to clarify.

If it says "Ranged Attack 3", that is a Physical Attack.
If it says "Siege Attack 2", that is a Physical Attack.
If it says "Ice Ranged Attack 3", that is an Ice Attack.
If it says "Ice Siege Attack 4", that is an Ice Attack.

It's pretty simple

If it says Fire, it is Fire
It is says Ice, it is Ice
If it says ColdFire, it is ColdFire
If it doesnt say anything, it is physical
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiduz 99
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you Jason & Paul. It did seem obvious and had been plaguing my mind so glad I asked.

One more question just popped into my head...last question I promise

If I am fighting an Orc with no resistances and an armour value of 4 & I play a fire attack 3. Would this effectively do double the damage meaning 6?

The reason I am questioning this relates to the fact you have to do double the block if an enemy attacks you with an elemental attack. So is there any benefit the other way or are elemental spells just useful against enemies with physical resistance and the fact they typically have higher damage values?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tiduz99 wrote:
If I am fighting an Orc with no resistances and an armour value of 4 & I play a fire attack 3. Would this effectively do double the damage meaning 6?

The reason I am questioning this relates to the fact you have to do double the block if an enemy attacks you with an elemental attack. So is there any benefit the other way or are elemental spells just useful against enemies with physical resistance and the fact they typically have higher damage values?

?????

Sorry, but your question concerns me. Why would an Attack of 3 do double damage because it is fire? There is nothing in the rules at all that indicates this.

It is true that if an enemy attacks you with 3 fire, you need either 3 Ice Block or 6 normal block. But enemies do not Block you attacks.

So there is no benefit to using a Fire Attack on something that has no resistances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it does not do double damage. You can't relate what happens to you versus the baddies.

Case in point are the way units with resistances are handled.

Also to clarify, you can cast the bottom part of spells during the day if you are fighting in a dungeon or tomb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tiduz 99
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks..100% clear now so can continue playing the game knowing that the rules are being followed properly. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.