Popular Tags: [View All]
Eigen
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I'm interested in the idea of big games like Descent, Twilight Imperium and more recently Eclipse, however, the large rule books and fairly long play time is a turn off for me.

Are there any games that are similar (space game/dungeon crawl) that are a bit easier to learn (weight of 3 or less, maybe a bit more) and don't have a rule book that doubles as a chair?

My group averages 4-6 players, and game length of anywhere up to 2 hours would be preferable (a bit longer would be okay if the game FEELS quick).

Thanks in advance (:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
Have you looked into the D&D Adventure system line of games? Sounds about right for you...

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game

Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I view Eclipse as an alternative to other 'Epic Games' particularly Twighlight Imperium. The rules are not long and fairly intuitive once you play and the game plays in about 3 hours even with the full 6 players. I don't think I'll ever play TI3 again, everything I love about it I get in Eclipse and more in less than half the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
As an alternative to TI3/Eclipse I can recommend Galactic Emperor.

For Descent, you could substitute DungeonQuest (although this would be 4 players max).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse is actually a relatively simple game. Less complicated than Puerto Rico, for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eigen
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll have another look at Eclipse, though it doesn't seem to be available in the UK properly yet.

The D&D series looks interesting too, shall take a look at these as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
Eirikr wrote:
Honestly I view Eclipse as an alternative to other 'Epic Games' particularly Twighlight Imperium. The rules are not long and fairly intuitive once you play and the game plays in about 3 hours even with the full 6 players. I don't think I'll ever play TI3 again, everything I love about it I get in Eclipse and more in less than half the time.

This is why I'm waiting for Eclipse in the mail right now, and I hope it fits the bill. Glad to hear it does for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game may be an option. played it for the first time a few weeks ago and it plays pretty quickly with simple rules. nice co-op/backstabbing game i though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.