Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We broke out my buddy's copy of SMG last night, and had a great time playing. Only thing that bugged us was the amount of black we got on our hands from handling the playing pieces (residue from the laser cutting, I suppose.)

Does anyone have any cleaning tips for getting this under control? I would be hesitant to use any kind of cleaning solution on the pieces...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on a tip I got here on BGG, when i got my Day of Days I took a lint brush and rolled it over the edes of all the tiles and frame pieces. That took care of just about all of the residue. Whatever amount was left over was gone after my first set up and break down of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard mellott
United States
summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used baby wipes and wiped the edges worked great played to games and stayed clean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Colapietro
United States
Endicott
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wiped the edges of the tiles with dry paper towels, and rolled the edges of the tokens over paper towel as well. I noticed that some of the tiles had soot smudges on the surfaces (I assume they wiped the tiles down somewhat before packaging the games), and used a slightly damp towel to wipe the surfaces down with no ill effect - the tile surfaces seem to be water-proof but I wouldn't test that theory too vigorously. Haven't had any soot problems since the initial thorough cleaning.

The soot is a little annoying to clean up, but I think it is a small price to pay for tiles that lay flat and fit together perfectly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the pic I used to detail the method Rex refers to above:

Afterward, for fine cleaning and for on the tile tops (the glossy side), use some form of lightly moistened wipe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A slightly damp paper towel was my technique.

I see now that SMG needs to put a piece of paper or something into the box. Would hate to have that occupying space on the rules but too many folks have been 'surprised' by the laser cutting residue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CWattie
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does the residue stain? I barely noticed it when I've used DoD. Is it worse on Carentan? I just placed an order for Carentan and a couple of squads and wondering if maybe it's worse because otherwise this doesn't seem like a huge problem and surprised at the level of bother it seems to cause.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Boyd
United States
flag msg tools
Yup, that's me. By John Kovalic.
mbmbmbmbmb
There was quite a bit of residue in my copy of DoD (the one Marty was talking about). We all ended up with black fingers just putting the board together, and what was left in the box got on everything. While it's not a huge problem, it's certainly annoying. I'm mostly concerned with transferring it elsewhere (especially to the miniatures).

My copy of Carentan didn't have nearly as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CWattie
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ahh got it now. Sounds like I just got lucky on my copy. I had some minor residue on my fingers after the first play but almost none on my second play. Based on your and others experiences it would seem reasonable to put some note in the map setup section of the rules explaining what the residue is and suggestions for dealing with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Aw, crap; gonna be sore in the morning...
mbmbmbmbmb
You're supposed to streak the black residue across your face as camo war paint to intimidate your opponents during play. arrrh

[edit: the box cleans up easily with a decent gum or plastic eraser and the residue wipes right off the map tiles with your finger even. regular soap and water for your face.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You're supposed to streak the black residue across your face as camo war paint to intimidate your opponents during play

I've actually seen a picture of exactly that posted.

I just went and looked in the photos here and it's not there. Maybe someone included it in a session report but has the photos posted on their personal page?

I HAVE seen that, and yes, if you think the idea is a laugh, see it in person. Like the guys used that 'burnt cork' technique before the jump.
Very impressive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CWattie
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
R M Chair General wrote:
You're supposed to streak the black residue across your face as camo war paint to intimidate your opponents during play. arrrh

[edit: the box cleans up easily with a decent gum or plastic eraser and the residue wipes right off the map tiles with your finger even. regular soap and water for your face.]

LOL...camo war paint...I did literally just laugh out loud at Brian's comment. Good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.