Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
This has long been the place I turn when I need to distract myself from the stresses of life. Thank you all for the interesting articles, the thoughtful GeekLists, the hilarious off-topic commentary, and the many other aspects of this site that make it so fun, interesting, funny, and hardly ever aggravating!

And for those with medical training, or for parents who have experience with infants suffering from bronchiolitis, here's the nutshell story...

-3-month old male
-almost-full term, vaginal delivery requiring minor resuscitative efforts (O2 mask) at birth due to poor activity level
-healthy and very happy since birth (other than frequent evening cholic due to gas issues) and rocketing along near the top of the growth chart
-approx 1 week ago started with dry cough and minor nasal congestion
-cough and respiratory symptoms gradually worsened, yet air entry in lungs remained clear
-2 days ago breathing took a turn for the worse and my wife took him to the ER
-after chest X-rays and blood work, bronchiolitis was diagnosed
-due to the source of the infection being viral, antibiotics are not given, but I was surprised to learn that bronchodilators and even corticosteroids are not considered to be helpful
-thus, baby was sent home with no prescriptions and told to return if condition worsened
-breathing did deteriorate further and wife took him back to ER yesterday
-this time baby was seen by pediatrician who confirmed that it was just a waiting game with nothing to do but attempt to keep him hydrated and in a moist air environment
-throughout the night last night the mucous production increased and the crackles in his upper airways (strange for me - I'm used to hearing stridor in the upper airways and crackles toward the bases of the lungs) increased audibly with both inspiration and expiration
-a normally ravenous eater, he all but stopped eating in the previous 12 hours and his colour was looking even more ghastly pale
-his cry has become weaker as he has become increasingly lethargic, yet he now only sleeps in short spurts due to his breathing difficulty
-the last straw was when a very large gob of mucous came bubbling out of his mouth which I'm sure he would have aspirated if I wasn't right next to him to scoop him up and flip him upside-down in a flash
-so a couple of hours ago I told my wife she needed to make her third trip to the ER in three days (which, being an Advanced Care Paramedic myself, is somewhat awkward since I don't want to be one of those panicky parents that we deal with on a regular basis...)
-the most recent update from my wife as of a short time ago was that he perked up a bit when he got to the hospital (of course) and actually breast-fed for a little while
-a very kind and patient doc, being naturally reluctant to admit the little guy, recommended he hang out in emerg at least until his next feed and then re-evaluate him
-in between attempting to doze on the floor next to the baby's chair with an ear to every peep he made and surfing BGG I did a little reading on some medical websites last night and discovered that with bronchiolitis, the worst of the respiratory symptoms start to fade after the third day, so hopefully things will only get better from here (a couple also mentioned nebulized epi as a treatment for the worst cases, which is interesting because we use that for treating young kids with particularly severe croup)

Fortunately for me, our 23-month old slept in till 8:45 this morning, so I was able to take a breath for a minute. And now he is fed and dressed and I have breakfasted on stale Christmas cookies and a very large coffee, and we're ready to meet a new day. Bring it!!

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the detailed update, keep us posted. Thinking about you guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Best of luck to your little guy! It is so scary when they are small & sick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you may be through the worst of it. Scary.

Weird as it may sound, Tea Tree essential oil in a carrier oil like Almond oil in an aromatherapy oil burner or even added to a humidifier can have an anti-viral quality to the air, and when breathed in, can really deal with viral lung infections. It's gotten my kids through a few times.

Well, now that I've labeled myself a geek and quack, best of luck to you, brother!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaylex wrote:
Thanks for the detailed update, keep us posted. Thinking about you guys!

Everyone's home from the hospital again, so we're back to watching and waiting.

It's a helluva way to start my 35 weeks of parental leave. But the good news is, I've started 35 weeks of parental leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (That's 35 exclamation marks.) After everyone has healed up, there should finally be time for some quality gaming for the first time since the first was born 2 years ago!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
Best of luck to your little guy! It is so scary when they are small & sick.

Thanks. It's scary enough when I have to deal with sick kiddies at work. The problem with kids when they're very sick is that their little bodies are great at compensating, compensating some more, compensating some more... and then they either start to get better or they suddenly crash quite quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
Sounds like you may be through the worst of it. Scary.

Weird as it may sound, Tea Tree essential oil in a carrier oil like Almond oil in an aromatherapy oil burner or even added to a humidifier can have an anti-viral quality to the air, and when breathed in, can really deal with viral lung infections. It's gotten my kids through a few times.

Well, now that I've labeled myself a geek and quack, best of luck to you, brother!

Thanks for the advice! Tips like this are much appreciated (and part of my motivation for posting the original thread)!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey brother!

Sorry to hear of your kinder-distress, but it sounds like you're all on the mends.

Happy New Year to all the Squashes, big, little, hes and she.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:

Thanks for the advice! Tips like this are much appreciated (and part of my motivation for posting the original thread)!!

No problem... I've been there. Sick kids, middle of the night. Haven't had to head to the hospital yet, thankfully, though there have been times I've wondered.

I grew up asthmatic, so I was off to the hospital a ton as a kid for low oxygen and croupiness. Any chest cold I get becomes asthmatic bronchitis. I I keep a respiratory mix of Tea Tree, Peppermint, and Eucalyptus essential oils in an amber dropper bottle with a carrier oil. I rub it on my chest or put a few drops into a bowl of hot water and breathe deeply over it. It smells like Vicks a little but it's much more potent. Knocks out almost anything I get in my lungs within 24 hours.

You find what works for you and your family... and then you keep it stocked
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.