Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Wuthe
Germany
Pfungstadt-Eschollbrücken
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't find U-99 with the notorious and famous Kaleu Otto Kretschmer in the card mix... Why wasn't this boat included? shake Otto Kretschmer was one of the top aces with the most credited BRT sunk! He was therefore called "Otto, the tonnage king"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I do take Prien out a lot... he was one of the most popular captains. I haven't figured out how the U-boats were chosen... it doesn't seem to be by flotilla or tonnage sunk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Wuthe
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I don't have a program to create a card for him, but perhaps someone on the geek is able to... Here're my suggestions:

U-99, KrvKpt Otto Kretschmer
Type VIIb, Apr '40 - Mar '41
Special Abilities: Cool, Infiltrator
Ready torpedoes: 5 / Stored Torpedoes 9

Green 4 (although historically not correct, Kretschmer went to war on U-99 with a well trained crew. Before his assignment to U-99 he was commander of U-23, a type IIb):
Stress / Status / Init / GS / TS / Ev
0-4 / Okay / Caut / -1 / +0 / 3
5-8 / Shaken / Caut / -2 / -2 / 1

Trained 6:
0-5 / Okay / Caut / +0 / +1 / 3
6-8 / Shaken / Caut / -1 / -1 / 2

Veteran 11:
0-7 / Okay / Aggr / +1 / +2 / 4
8-10 / Shaken / Caut / -1 / -1 / 2

Ace:
0-8 / Okay / Aggr / +1 / +2 / 5
9-12 / Shaken / Caut / -1 / +0 / 3

Otto Kretschmer sank 263.000 tons (the second best u-boat commander was KrvKpt Wolfgang Lüth with 228.400 tons). In 1941, on march, the 17th, at 0343 h, Kretschmer was forced to surface under heavy barrage by the british destroyer Walker while attacking the Halifax convoy HX 112 with a wolfpack, among it another ace, KptLt Joachim Schepke with U-100. Kretschmer's last radio message: "U 99. Two destroyers. Depth charges. Sank 53.000 tons. Imprisonment. Heil! Kretschmer." He triggered the sinking of U-99 and was captured. He was awarded with the Eichenlaub zum Ritterkreuz mit Schwertern (Knights Cross with swords w/Oak Leaves). After the war he worked for the german navy.
Irony of fate: In 1998 Otto Kretschmer died after he fall from a ladder on board of a ship while being on a vacation cruise on the danube. He reached the age of 86.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the best I could do with Windows Paint.

EDIT: Updated SO Costs (forgot on first upload)
EDIT2: Updated Start Date
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Wuthe
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow Dean! Absolutely marvelous! What do you mean "The best that you could do..." Little understatement? That's really great! Thanks! I will print it on cardboard. NOW, the allies have to watch out! Hopefully MY Kretschmer won't meet the fate of his historical counterpart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Hunting! What are you going to do about a U-99 counter?

There are some background differences behind the text I pasted in, but otherwise it turned out pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reloc 8
Ireland
flag msg tools
Pac76 wrote:
Wow Dean! Absolutely marvelous! What do you mean "The best that you could do..." Little understatement? That's really great! Thanks! I will print it on cardboard. NOW, the allies have to watch out! Hopefully MY Kretschmer won't meet the fate of his historical counterpart

Surviving the U-Boat campaign and living to the ripe old age of 86 ?? I'd take it !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Wuthe
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coler wrote:
Surviving the U-Boat campaign and living to the ripe old age of 86 ?? I'd take it !

No, I mean being one of the best the germans had to offer and being captured early in the war...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Agnew
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another conspicuous absence (other than Luth) is Erich Topp. Curious that neither KC w/oak leaves, swords, and diamonds recipients (Luth and Albrecht Brandi) were not included either. Maybe a play balance choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goose
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrumpyOldGamer wrote:
Happy Hunting! What are you going to do about a U-99 counter?

Here you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These look good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.