Hide
20 Posts

Dominant Species» Forums » Rules

Subject: speciation rant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Nelson
msg tools
I do not understand the speciation rule. It seems to me that species derive from already existing species. In fact I know this since my degree is in evolutionary biology. It doesn't make since that you can just pop in new species on the other side of earth far away from your existing species. It takes migration pretty much out of the game. Why migrate when you can just pop in anywhere you have a matching element? The rule should be that you have to create new species inside and adjacent to a tile that you already occupy and have a matching element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you could not speciate anywhere you liked on the board the board positions would be much more static. It could be hard to get your species from one side of the board to the other if the elements between are not conducive to your animal. What if all your cubes are removed from the board, have you gone "extinct" and are completely eliminated from the game?

Short answer: it's a game, not a simulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Don't look at the game as a simulation. It will drive you batty. After all, how do animals control where glaciers go?

2) The answer, which was addressed somewhere on these forums but I can't find the link, is that there are always species of every order in every hex, but only a few "rise up" in population to be noteworthy (worthy of points and in contention for domination).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
cuneve wrote:
It seems to me that species derive from already existing species. In fact I know this since my degree is in evolutionary biology.

Maybe you should have picked up a minor in Gameology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a major in evolutionary biology, then I'm sure you can think of more than a few examples of species that seemingly evolved in a vacuum - where there is no record of any similar species previously existing in the surrounding areas. Obviously, it didn't spontaneously pop into existence, but no one knows exactly how it got there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bradley, I've already explained in other threads how every animal is considered to have species living on every tile at all times. Your species *cubes* are specifically representing where your species are *flourishing*.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Nelson
msg tools
No one has addressed my point that if you are able to create species almost any where, why migrate? It sort of takes that action out of the game. I like Patrick's explanation of why species are able to pop up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say you want to get some of your animal onto a tile but all the speciate actions for elements that border that tile have been taken by someone else. The migration action (multiple actions if more than one hex away) could then be used to get your species there.

Been there, done that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kelsey
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cuneve wrote:
No one has addressed my point that if you are able to create species almost any where, why migrate? It sort of takes that action out of the game. I like Patrick's explanation of why species are able to pop up.

Migration is for saving your species once they're on the map. If I knew my juicy wetlands was going to get paved over by glaciers very soon, Migration would be my way to save them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
cuneve wrote:

You only have a limited number of cubes and it's quite easy to run out through reckless speciation if you're not careful. Sometimes it's better instead to redistribute species on the board in response to the changing environment (to take advantage of newly favourable areas or move away from newly unfavourable areas).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't migrate then. You will then discover for yourself why it may be used. No one is forcing you to take that action.

Anyway it is a game not a simulation. Also over the period it represents it is more about a species reaction to ecological change than evolution.

To take it further it is more about that stupid concept of Intelligent Design anyway as the players control what happens to a large extent. Instead of 'goddidit' we have 'playersdidit'. I'm looking forward to the Noah's Arc expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Pearson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Noah's "Arc"???

Why not Noah's Curving Trajectory?

"Ark" surely.

The Fundy Creationists will be apoplectic.

Still the thought of this expansion really made me laugh, thanks Jack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spear814 wrote:
Noah's "Arc"??? :D

Why not Noah's Curving Trajectory?

"Ark" surely.

The Fundy Creationists will be apoplectic.

Still the thought of this expansion really made me laugh, thanks Jack.

Oops, I think my Religious Education may have been a bit lacking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cuneve wrote:

Because of a few reasons:

1 - You have a limited number of cubes, so you don't want to deplete your gene pool too quickly, as there are myriad ways for them to get obliterated.

2 - You only need more cubes in an area than your opponent to score the highest point benefit. So stacking up a large number of cubes in one area is a surefire way to get targeted by catastrophe, or glaciation or mass exodus or multiple competition actions etc. So it's better to spread out, migration allows for that.

3 - Survival. Getting the card requires you having species on Tundra. Speciation will give you a maximum of 1 more cube per tundra tile, whereas migration can let you move of a whole bunch of cubes onto tundra and steal the card.

4 - Your cubes are in a place where they are about to go extinct. This happened in our kost recent game. I noticed the element I was on was about to get wastelanded! I had 6 cubes on that hex, so I used migration to get them the hell out of there.

There are more reasons, but those are off the top of my head. Migration is a great action, and very important for establishing position on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cuneve wrote:
I do not understand the speciation rule. It seems to me that species derive from already existing species. In fact I know this since my degree is in evolutionary biology. It doesn't make since that you can just pop in new species on the other side of earth far away from your existing species. It takes migration pretty much out of the game. Why migrate when you can just pop in anywhere you have a matching element? The rule should be that you have to create new species inside and adjacent to a tile that you already occupy and have a matching element.

I see no one has mentioned that you may be playing the game incorrectly. I wouldn't have suspected this myself until I witnessed a game group doing this exact thing.

When you speciate, you choose a single element disc on the board and add cubes on the tiles adjacent to that single disc. What you may be doing is adding cubes adjacent to every element disc of the selected type. In this instance, yes, migration would significantly lose value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the games that I've played, Speciate has usually been more valuable in the early game, and Migrate more important in the late game. Often in the last 2 turns every Migrate slot is filled as people jostle around for valuable majority and second-place scores.

There are also mid-game problems where your cubes have to migrate or die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
cuneve wrote:
It seems to me that species derive from already existing species. In fact I know this since my degree is in evolutionary biology.

Maybe you should have picked up a minor in Gameology.

You're damn lucky I was not drinking anything when I read that...laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
In the games that I've played, Speciate has usually been more valuable in the early game, and Migrate more important in the late game. Often in the last 2 turns every Migrate slot is filled as people jostle around for valuable majority and second-place scores.

There are also mid-game problems where your cubes have to migrate or die.

It's a solid strategy to hold off on speciation until the last turn or two, forgoing early points to be able to flood strategic tiles from your reserves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
Bradley, I've already explained in other threads how every animal is considered to have species living on every tile at all times. Your species *cubes* are specifically representing where your species are *flourishing*.

Populations of your animal exist, but not in competitive numbers.

I too have a degree in Evolutionary Biology. Think Australia, where the introduced

*Only 24 rabbits were originally introduced into Australia for the purposes of hunting, giving a new meaning
to the saying "breeding like rabbits"!

• Nineteen species of native small mammals have become extinct since Europeans introduced the cat, fox and rabbit into Australia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
cuneve wrote:
I do not understand the speciation rule. It seems to me that species derive from already existing species. In fact I know this since my degree is in evolutionary biology. It doesn't make since that you can just pop in new species on the other side of earth far away from your existing species. .

Having a degree in Evolutionary Biology, you should realize the time scale for the game...Glaciation!!!!! How long did it take the glaciers to roll over the land?? A LONG TIME!!

Your speciation event during the game can mean a myriad of occurrences.

1) SMALL populations of your species-a cube obviously means more specific animals in one species than the other. 50,000 mammals needs more of the Food chain beneath them....Each aardvark probably eats thousands of INSECTS a day... - migrate to the location over hundreds of years travel...

2) Your animals are there, yet are not in the right quantity to make an impact on the ecology of the area. Take examples where one animal was relocated to another area where there were no natural predators...THEIR POPULATIONS EXPLODED!!

3) It's a game...things happen...to balance it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.