Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to make this clear and pull this up to it's own thread instead of being buried further down in another thread.

If you already own the 1st edition, to play the 2nd edition, you will still need to purchase the full second edition game (at $79.95), plus you will feel compelled (not forced) to spend an additional $24.95 so you can use the plastic figures from the old system with the new system. The conversion kit doesn't let you play 2nd edition without buying the new base game.

Is that correct?

Furthermore, all of the cardboard dungeon tiles and plastic models from the 1st edition (and expansion) are only useful in the 2nd edition if you create your own scenarios (or some other fan creates them).

I'm not wanting judgment on it's value, I just am trying to be clear on what the conversion kit really does for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds correct to me.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the purpose of the "conversion kit" is to make the plastic models usable in 2E without having to create fan-made scenarios. Without more details on the game though, it's not clear how this is so, though.

The cardboard from 1E would need fan-made stuff, but I don't think the same is true for the heroes and monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had imagined that the conversion kit would include a way to spawn the 1e monsters, so that they could be "drafted" into any preexisting scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
The only way the monsters are useable, is by writing scenarios that using them.

I don't think so. I think that's one of the points of the Conversion Kit, you'll get Spawn Cards for the monsters (in addition to Stat cards). Speculation, of course, since we don't know how the spawning rules were changed, but chances are very high that the kit will allow the monsters in the game, just like the 1st Ed expansions allowed new monsters in the base game scenarios.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
I don't think the same is true for the heroes and monsters.

The only way the monsters are useable, is by writing scenarios that use them. Or converting 1E scenarios to 2E.

What do you base that conclusion on?

Even in 1E, there were ways to use the WoD, AoD, and ToI monsters in the base game's quests without having fan-made customizations. (True, not with all the monsters, but with most of them; and that doesn't mean 2E won't have a different solution for that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, quick answer, we don't know. Not until we get more info will it become clear what FFG is doing. Some of the monsters from the base set of descent (1st ed) are pretty iconic to the runebound universe and have been reused in runewars, and I can't imagine they won't be available to new descent players. So all we can do is wait and see. More details should be coming any time now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
shnar wrote:
D6Frog wrote:
The only way the monsters are useable, is by writing scenarios that using them.

I don't think so. I think that's one of the points of the Conversion Kit, you'll get Spawn Cards for the monsters (in addition to Stat cards). Speculation, of course, since we don't know how the spawning rules were changed, but chances are very high that the kit will allow the monsters in the game, just like the 1st Ed expansions allowed new monsters in the base game scenarios.

-shnar

Spawn card would be cool and certainly make it useful. But it sounds like in the description just stat cards for heroes and monsters unless I missed something.

It's very possible the spawning system in the new game doesn't rely on spawn cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to speculate I imagine it would be like Road to Legend/Sea of Blood.

What I mean is that each scenario would have the 2E base monsters listed on the maps, but in the margin it would say that you could replace 2E monster X with 1E monster Y,Z, or B. They could also just have a list somewhere in the rulebook that lists the substitutions and you could do it at anytime. At least that's what I think.

But, of course we don't know anything yet so it's all speculation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not be surprised if there was a list of "substitutions" in the Conversion kit that allowed you to replace 2nd Edition monster X with 1E monster Y when placing them on the map or spawning. That's basically what they did with the DOOM expansion when it added more monsters and it worked decently (though it wasn't perfect, some "equivalents" were kind of out of whack with certain ones being better except in very rare situations).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.