Subject: A Year With Blokus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus 3D is a game I had for a long time, and had played quite a bit. When I got came to BGG, I learned that it was not really a Blokus game at all, but was just a rebranded game called Rumis that was changed to fit their Blokus brand. This got me very interested in trying the real Blokus, and then last Christmas, my wife got it for me.

I have played Blokus 35 times over the past year, however, 14 of those plays were using the Blokus Duo (AKA Travel Blokus) rules.

The Premise:
Each player starts with a number of pieces of many different shapes, and must play as many as possible.

The Components:
The plastic game board is a 20 x 20 grid of squares, indented to hold the pieces in place when played on the board. There are 21 pieces in each player color, made of translucent plastic. Each piece is a different shape, made from every possible combination of 1-5 squares put together.

The components are of great quality, and the board holds the pieces in place nicely.

The Gameplay:
This game is very simple to learn, and is a perfect information abstract. The best way to play this game is with 4 players, which is how the rules are laid out, with some variations if playing with 2 or 3.

Players in turn will each play a piece on the board. If a player ever gets to a point that he can't play any more pieces, then he stops playing, while the others continue until no one can play any longer, or are out of pieces to play.

Each player's first piece must be played in a different corner, with the very corner block being covered by the first piece. From that point on, when a player plays a new piece, they must play it so that it touches one or more of the corners of their own piece(s) already on the board. Their piece may never touch another of their own pieces edge to edge. There are no restrictions on how a player's piece can touch another player's pieces, just their own. So going side by side or at the corner of the other player's pieces is perfectly legal.

The goal is to use up as many pieces as you can. At the end of the game, you score a -1 for every block of every piece left over that you couldn't fit on the board. If you play all your pieces, you get 15 points. If you play them all and the final piece played was the single square piece, then you get an extra +5 points.

The points are all arbitrary, basically, whoever uses the most of their pieces and has the least amount of squares left over is the winner.

When playing with two players, I prefer to just shorten up the board and play with the Blokus Duo rules. However, the official way is to each use two sets of colors and alternate plays as you would in a 4 player game. A player's two colors must start on opposite corners of the board.

I do not recommend playing with 3 players. With 3, each player takes a color, and the 4th color is played by all 3 players, by alternating turns that you get to play that 4th color. This is an awkward way to play, since one player will be between the other two on the board, which starts things out uneven, and keeping track of whose turn it is to play as the 4th color is a pain. The 4th color is necessary though in order to keep the game board spaces tighter and more filled in.

Final Thoughts:
With 4 players, this is probably my favorite abstract game. There is no randomness, everything is open, and the board looks great when the whole thing is finished.

As with most games with more than two players though, some may not like the chaos that occurs between turns. And there is nothing to stop 3 players from teaming up against 1, especially if they feel they are wiping out a strong player. For them, I recommend playing 2 player, either with the official rules or the Duo rules. Either way works well.

As mentioned above, 3 players is not recommended. I have not tried it, but others recommend playing Blokus Trigon if you only have 3.

And with that, there is not much else to say. It is simple to play, and can be a great gateway game for the world of abstracts. You don't have to worry about learning different moves for different pieces such as in Hive or Chess. Yet, despite the simpleness, I think this game can still be very competitive with good players.

Following the BGG rating system guidelines, I give this game an 8.5.

Thanks for reading, and peruse my other reviews at A Year With My Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your update. My wife and I probably favor Ingenious over Blokus by a small margin, but really do enjoy both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this on New Year's Eve and introduced it to friends of ours for the first time who enjoyed playing it. It's a good spatial abstract game. I agree with you on using the Duo rules for a better game experience when playing just two players. I even marked my board for that purpose with a Sharpie to indicate the start positions and boundaries when playing with just two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Thanks for your update. My wife and I probably favor Ingenious over Blokus by a small margin, but really do enjoy both games.

I played Ingenious a few weeks ago for the first time and I did enjoy that one a lot. I'll have to have my friend bring that one over again. Thanks for reminding me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Good review. Heck, I'll give you a thumb just because you didn't compare Blokus to Tetris like most other reviews do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
Good review. Heck, I'll give you a thumb just because you didn't compare Blokus to Tetris like most other reviews do.

Thanks! I definitely don't think this is much like Tetris, other than the shapes of course. That comparison I reserve for FITS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Z
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got it for Christmas and me and my wife like it a lot.

One small correction is that regular Blokus has board with 20x20 squares and Blokus Duo had 14x14 board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qbaza wrote:
I just got it for Christmas and me and my wife like it a lot.

One small correction is that regular Blokus has board with 20x20 squares and Blokus Duo had 14x14 board.

That's right. Don't know what I was thinking earlier, I fixed it. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.