Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Brief Session Report from first two games, no spoilers after initial setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
After cracking open the box, the four of us signed our names on the back of the game board, and figured out what traits we wanted to assign to the various factions.

At first my friends and I were all pretty surprised that you don't fill the entire game board with units, like you do in the original Risk. I went for my normal Risk strategy of conquering Australia, and my friends picked the US, South America, and Europe as their starting areas. The friend in the US had a bad start to the game, and ended up spreading himself too thin trying to get setup for a North America bonus. The guy in South America ending up cutting into North America, solidifying his hold on South America and taking out a great deal of the North American force. Meanwhile I was building up a decent army with my 5 bonus troops per turn, and being pretty much uncontested on the East part of the board. When I built up a hefty pile of troops, I marched towards Europe, where my friend had been frantically trying to hold on, and not doing well against my other two friends. I burst into Europe, capturing the starting base and taking out most of his forces. On a subsequent turn I managed to sneak through Africa and down into Argentina to capture the base of the South American player, who didn't realize his base was at risk. I won the game with 3 bases and 1 victory coin.

In the next game, I had the high roll and went first. I went to Australia again, but the guy who tried capturing North America last game decided to go to war with me, so he setup his base in South Asia, essentially trapping me in Australia. He also used a Scar card to setup a bunker on his spot, which essentially crippled me. My dice rolls were just not working, and I was never able to get out of Australia for the entire game. Meanwhile the player who started in Europe last game was doing amazingly well, having captured both South and North America, eliminating the other player. He was then getting 12 or 13 troops per turn, and it was pretty much over. I managed to "hold on" merely because he couldn't get to me without ending the game.

All in all, I really like Risk Legacy so far, and I'm looking forward to opening more of the "DO NOT OPEN" envelopes as we get farther and farther along in the game. I'm also happy I got to write my name down on the board as the very first winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What we're the two victory prizes? Any cool city names?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hound Archon wrote:
What we're the two victory prizes? Any cool city names?

I didn't state any victory conditions as I was afraid they may be considered spoilers, but I suppose it isn't, since it's in the rulebook and not in one of the sealed envelopes.

I named a city in Western Australia "Gibbland" as the prize for winning the first game. For the second game's runner-up prize, I added a coin to "Western Australia" to make it more valuable whenever that card shows up.

The guy who won the second game put a city in Greenland but I forget what he called it. Various other runner-up cities were named around the board as well. Nobody wanted to rename a continent quite yet.

edit:

Oh and I forgot to mention that I won the first game solely because of my faction's special ability, which allowed me to get an extra troop on an area I controlled after conquering an occupied space. One of my friends had 3 troops on Eqypt, and the Egypt card was up for grabs in the draw area. I took out his forces, took the Egypt card, added 1 troop to my force then marched all the way through to Argentina to win the game. That extra troop allowed me to 3 dice instead of 2 for the winning roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always hated that in order to stop somebody who starts in Australia, you have to start in Asia, which almost necessarily means you will lose. Luckily, Risk Legacy's ever changing board makes it much less of an issue, as you saw with the bunker in Southeast Asia. There is even more to come that helps alleviate Australia's overpoweredness (or boosts it, if your group doesn't see it as a threat).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:

Oh and I forgot to mention that I won the first game solely because of my faction's special ability, which allowed me to get an extra troop on an area I controlled after conquering an occupied space. One of my friends had 3 troops on Eqypt, and the Egypt card was up for grabs in the draw area. I took out his forces, took the Egypt card, added 1 troop to my force then marched all the way through to Argentina to win the game. That extra troop allowed me to 3 dice instead of 2 for the winning roll.

Question, what ability is that? That's not one of the starting abilities is it? (If it is not, just say that it's unlocked later)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I have always hated that in order to stop somebody who starts in Australia, you have to start in Asia, which almost necessarily means you will lose. Luckily, Risk Legacy's ever changing board makes it much less of an issue, as you saw with the bunker in Southeast Asia. There is even more to come that helps alleviate Australia's overpoweredness (or boosts it, if your group doesn't see it as a threat).

Indeed. The guy who started in Asia to combat my Australia strategy didn't expand much at all. I think he took maybe 1 or 2 regions around Asia, but he basically had to keep his entire force in the spot above Australia cause I was getting 5 troops to his 3 every turn. Fortunately for him, he had amazing luck with the rolls. Most of my turns ended up with me losing 5 troops while he'd only lose 1. I'd give up and wait a couple more turns, only to lose most of my troops again.

I feel like there should be more ways into Australia and some of the other continents, but perhaps that is in one of the sealed envelopes and I just haven't seen it yet. I believe the 2150 Risk had a couple additional routes through the ocean, IIRC.

Sethy295 wrote:

Question, what ability is that? That's not one of the starting abilities is it? (If it is not, just say that it's unlocked later)

Yes, it's one of the two starting abilities for the mecha faction (I forget their name). I believe for every faction we all decided to take the second ability and stuck the stickers to the faction boards, throwing away the other ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethy295 wrote:
GibbRS wrote:

I believe it's Khan B, which lets you put a troop on a territory you draw the card for, if you control it.

Safe to say, they have to specify the last part because there's spoilery things which allow you to draw territory cards for territories you don't control
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But being able to place one man in a territory that you just drew a resource card for is not nearly as good as being able to place 1 man in a territory that you take that turn... are you sure you played it right, or did I miss something in the ability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like they are playing it wrong to me. that one is the weaker power of to two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethy295 wrote:
But being able to place one man in a territory that you just drew a resource card for is not nearly as good as being able to place 1 man in a territory that you take that turn... are you sure you played it right, or did I miss something in the ability?

It's quite possible we played it wrong. We were playing where you could claim your card at any point during your turn. Usually that meant towards the end, but I specifically attacked that region so I could claim that card afterwards.

However, I wouldn't think it would matter if you had just conquered it or had already possessed it at the beginning of your turn, as skill simply refers to any region you possess.

I'll check the rules PDF online and see what it says about card drawing.

edit: ok I found the rules online here:
http://www.hasbro.com/common/documents/dad2886d1c4311ddbd0b0...

From what I can tell, it doesn't specifically say when you're supposed to draw a card, just that you are eligible to do so after you have conquered a region. Since the "Drawing a Card" section is listed before the Maneuvering Troops section, I'm going to assume you can draw a card while you're still in the Attack phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
Drawing a Card is during step 5 in the rules "End of Turn" (page 9, top of page)
The layout of the rules is in columns, read from upper-left column, to the bottom of the page, to next column to the right, again read from top to bottom.

Ah, I see it now. That's not very clear, as it should have an overview of all the actions that can take place during each phase of a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.