Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, this shouldn't be too difficult a question, yet I can't find an explicity answer in the rules, FAQ, UFAQ, or anywhere on this board.

If Apollo uses his AVP to jump into a viper at the start of the Crossroads phase, when does he take his one action: Before or after the Crossroads phase? My playgroup has ruled that it's after the Crossroads based on something I can't remember (I think it's a line somewhere saying the Crossroads can't be interrupted or something, but I can't find it anywhere). I've gone along with this, and yet, it still doesn't feel right.

Can anyone confirm which of these is correct, ideally with a rules quote to back it up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say to set up the battle first, then to draw & resolve Crossroads cards:

Quote:
1. Set Up Battle of the Ionian Nebula
2. Draw and Resolve Crossroads Cards
3. Resolve “The Trial/Boxing the Line”

Based on this, I would resolve Apollo's AVP action as soon as he hops out into a viper, before Crossroads cards are dealt with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I would play it as well. Check out the Apollo-AVP-with-XO-to-someone-in-Command question for a reasonable parallel. Apollo takes his action IMMEDIATELY, he doesn't wait for the person in command to take his or her second activation (and that person is still entitled to it provided he or she doesn't reveal... although I am now considering convoluted scenarios involving SoE to get Command damaged between the first & second activation, now that's a great question... too bad FFG has gone dark on e-mail replies to rules questions )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
That's how I would play it as well. Check out the Apollo-AVP-with-XO-to-someone-in-Command question for a reasonable parallel. Apollo takes his action IMMEDIATELY, he doesn't wait for the person in command to take his or her second activation (and that person is still entitled to it provided he or she doesn't reveal... although I am now considering convoluted scenarios involving SoE to get Command damaged between the first & second activation, now that's a great question... too bad FFG has gone dark on e-mail replies to rules questions )

A simpler head-scratcher is what happens when Apollo activates Command, AVPs with the first activation, all sorts of stuff happens. Does he get the second activation?

As for the original question, I think it's incumbent upon the people claiming that the rules prevent Apollo's AVP from interrupting during the setup of the Battle of the Ionian Nebula to provide the specific rules quote that overrules "When a viper is placed in a space area from the 'Reserves,' you may choose to pilot it and take one action. You may only do this when you are on a Galactica location, excluding the 'Brig.'" - any other time a viper is launched, Apollo can jump into it and take an action immediately, then whatever was happening continues.

The only rule I can see that might be what they're thinking of is the one about executions during crossroads being fully resolved without disturbing the player's crossroads card and associated trauma token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Apollo gets the second activation (although in cases not relying on XO, SoE, or being CAG, I think he could just do the "second" one first and save everyone a headache).

Rationale: See UFAQ for specific question -- if Apollo uses AVP and gives an XO or SoE to someone in Command, that person gets a second activation even if they move away from command with the granted ability (unless they reveal as a Cylon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
InfoCynic wrote:
although I am now considering convoluted scenarios involving SoE to get Command damaged between the first & second activation, now that's a great question...

You don't even need a convoluted SoE scenario; all you need is for Apollo to XO someone who discards a Treachery card (Roslin, Engine Room, moving between ships), triggering Sabotage.

My guess would be that the person on Command still gets their second Viper activation - you can't activate a damaged location, but Command was activated before it was damaged, so I suspect that original activation could still be fully resolved. But it is an ambiguous scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.