United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chris and Cherilyn,

I played a couple times with my wife this weekend and we had a question:

There were a couple times I played the #3 dice and stole cards from her hand and made my wife wind up with less than 3 cards in her hand.

When it became her turn she had less than 3 so we decided she would be able to draw up to 3 before her turn.

I did not see anything in the rules that said to draw back up to 3, but we decided to add that this time around.

What is the official rule on that scenario?

Also another thing that happened is I rolled 2 fives and another number being forced to play the five for a turn.

My wife had nothing in her Midway but I had two cards. If we can't legally make the play work as a trade for a trade would we just ignore the fives that we rolled that turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part 2 of your question is answered here
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8112477#8112477
You would skip the entire dice action if you can't do any part of it.

As for part 1 There are a few grey areas in the rules. I am looking forward to a FAQ soon to put all the responses in one place.

That said I do enjoy the game. Even played it with my 6 year old and he got it and enjoyed it. He wanted to play again after we finished a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SKirkham1967A wrote:
When it became her turn she had less than 3 so we decided she would be able to draw up to 3 before her turn. I did not see anything in the rules that said to draw back up to 3, but we decided to add that this time around. What is the official rule on that scenario?

You only draw up to five cards at the end of your turn, not at any other time. If you have less than 3 (edited from 5... typo) cards when it's your turn to play, you just make do... or else spend a ticket to block the other player from taking a card.

SKirkham1967A wrote:
Also another thing that happened is I rolled 2 fives and another number being forced to play the five for a turn. My wife had nothing in her Midway but I had two cards. If we can't legally make the play work as a trade for a trade would we just ignore the fives that we rolled that turn?

Basically, yes... ignore. Officially, if you cannot complete any part of an action you ignore the entire action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Kirkham
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hgcoleman wrote:
SKirkham1967A wrote:
When it became her turn she had less than 3 so we decided she would be able to draw up to 3 before her turn. I did not see anything in the rules that said to draw back up to 3, but we decided to add that this time around. What is the official rule on that scenario?

You only draw up to five cards at the end of your turn, not at any other time. If you have less than 5 cards when it's your turn to play, you just make do... or else spend a ticket to block the other player from taking a card.

SKirkham1967A wrote:
Also another thing that happened is I rolled 2 fives and another number being forced to play the five for a turn. My wife had nothing in her Midway but I had two cards. If we can't legally make the play work as a trade for a trade would we just ignore the fives that we rolled that turn?

Basically, yes... ignore. Officially, if you cannot complete any part of an action you ignore the entire action.

5 Cards??? I thought the rules said 3...and yeah, I saw the rule at the end, but I was thinking that there was some reason you had to have 3 cards in your hand when you started your turn. This may be the only time that you would have less than that number. Potentially the player could have 0 cards when they started their round if the player previous rolled triple 3s and they could not block. Hmm...could be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SKirkham1967A wrote:
hgcoleman wrote:
SKirkham1967A wrote:

You only draw up to five cards at the end of your turn, not at any other time. If you have less than 5 cards when it's your turn to play, you just make do... or else spend a ticket to block the other player from taking a card.

SKirkham1967A wrote:

5 Cards??? I thought the rules said 3...and yeah, I saw the rule at the end, but I was thinking that there was some reason you had to have 3 cards in your hand when you started your turn. This may be the only time that you would have less than that number. Potentially the player could have 0 cards when they started their round if the player previous rolled triple 3s and they could not block. Hmm...could be interesting.

Typo... will correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
SKirkham1967A wrote:
Hey Chris and Cherilyn,

I played a couple times with my wife this weekend and we had a question:

There were a couple times I played the #3 dice and stole cards from her hand and made my wife wind up with less than 3 cards in her hand.

When it became her turn she had less than 3 so we decided she would be able to draw up to 3 before her turn.

I did not see anything in the rules that said to draw back up to 3, but we decided to add that this time around.

What is the official rule on that scenario?

Also another thing that happened is I rolled 2 fives and another number being forced to play the five for a turn.

My wife had nothing in her Midway but I had two cards. If we can't legally make the play work as a trade for a trade would we just ignore the fives that we rolled that turn?

Hey Shawn!

Glad you got a chance to play this weekend. As for your questions, Harold answered them correctly - you only draw up to 3 at the end of your turn, and if you can't complete all of a Dice Roll Action, you can't legally perform any part of that Dice Roll Action. This can result in players having less than 2 Dice Roll Actions in a turn - but this can often be mitigated with Tickets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:
As for part 1 There are a few grey areas in the rules. I am looking forward to a FAQ soon to put all the responses in one place.

We'll be putting together an FAQ in the next week or so, and will upload it to BGG and the official dicehatemegames.com website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nivet
Ireland
Cork City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say that the responsiveness and the support provided by Chris and Cherilyn since the game has been announced has been tremendous!

Kudos guys, and many thanks! I can't wait to play my first game..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.