Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game of The Thing last night. We jumped right in to 6P. It went pretty well, but the suspicion cards caused me (as The Thing) some trouble.

I lost sleep last night trying to make sense of them. I found this thread this morning, which helped, but I want to make sure I understand everything:

2P: The Thing can only play INFECTED! and HUMAN cards on NPCs.
3-4P: In addition to INFECTED! and HUMAN (for use on NPCs), the Thing can play the multi-player infection cards (IDed by the top white and bottom blue borders and the text "Give this card to a player..." ) on the PCs.
5-6P: as above, but also pass a Suspicion card when passing a multi-player infection card. The rule in the book is: "The Thing can and must only ever give a Thing-suspicion card (of which there is only one) when they also give the target player a Thing multi-player infection card." This rule caused me problems because I thought that I had to pass the Thing-suspicion card with an PC "You are now a Thing!" card, meaning I thought I could only ever infect one PC. However, that rule is not meant prevent passing a regular suspicion card with a "You are now a Thing!" multi-player infection card.

So, to be clear: if you pass a player a "You are Still Human" multi-player infection card, you must pass them one of the 4 regular suspicion cards. If you pass them a "You a Now a Thing!" multi-player infection card, can can pass them either a regular suspicion card or the single "You are a Thing!" suspicion card.

I also couldn't understand the purpose of the suspicion cards, but now I see two:
1) it clogs up a PC's hand (reducing his effective hand size to 4.)
2) a PC-Thing with the "You are a Thing!" suspicion card can pass it to another PC during the "Somebody Blew Out a Fuse" Event. As the above mentioned thread points out, this lets a PC-Thing infect another PC, which is not possible in a 3-4P game (since that size game doesn't use the suspicion cards.)

So, if a PC is passed the "You are a Thing" suspicion card, this will create the unique situation of having a PC-Thing that DOES NOT have a multi-player infection card under his character card. (That was another misunderstanding of mine... I thought the player would also pass his infection card, and that didn't make sense.)

So, strategy wise, as the Thing, I want to infect a PC (and pass him the "You are a Thing!" suspicion card) before the "Somebody Blew Out a Fuse" event so that the new PC-Thing has the option of infecting another PC. Of course, it's probably a good idea to have other multi-player infection cards in play at that point, too!

Is all that right? And is it a complete discourse in the purpose and usage of suspicion cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Suspicion cards confuse me
Seems like you understand it now, Steve.

As you surmised, there were two main design reasons for having the Suspicion cards:

1. To enable a PC-Thing to be able to infect another player.

2. To clog up PC player's hands - so that the Thing player didn't need to draw silly amounts of cards to compete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Suspicion cards confuse me
Thanks, Mark! I look forward to trying it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone had issues with discovery due to poor "hand busoming" by players? That's a fear of mine since the cards are so completely different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
Has anyone had issues with discovery due to poor "hand busoming" by players? That's a fear of mine since the cards are so completely different.

What a brilliant phrase!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did notice that my players would all be poor poker players because they don't conceal their cards well enough.

One--who happened to have nominated himself for El Capitan--was audacious enough to GRAB an infected player's hand during the "Somebody Blew Out a Fuse" event because he wanted to see their Suspicion card. Fortunately, the other player's lightning reflexes prevented the reveal.

Yeah, despite his behavior, we love having that guy in our group. He doesn't mean to be so audacious (sorry, my synonym generator isn't up to speed today), but his competitveness sometimes takes over. We all stay on our toes to keep him reined in. Admittedly, this episode was egregious, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.