Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I´ve played Twilight Struggle 5-6 times, got an OK grip of the rules and tactics and have now learnt the basics of the TS Game Engine (the Excel file). I´m looking for a game with someone who preferably has some patience with a newbie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ordinary Evidence
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a noob too.

I received the game for Christmas.

What I have been doing is playing games online using the Vassal engine. It works really well, and for my first tries my opponents were very forgiving and patient. I kept my rulebook and cards handy, and I liked that the Vassal module performed some of the dice rolls and calculations that I am still learning.

My advice, give Vassal a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Wargamerroom.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I have checked out both the Vassal module and Wargameroom. The thing is that I prefer playing PBEM versus "live" which I think the Game Engine provides the best answer to, but perhaps I´m misunderstanding Vassal and Wargameroom?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for pbem games, you might try seeing if the Automated Card Tracking System (ACTS) at Warhorse Simulations will work for you.

This site deals out the cards and keeps track of your hand and your opponent's hands. You go to the site, play what card you want to, resolve any die rolls etc... The system sends you and your opponent emails for verification as well as keeping a log onsite.

The downside if one wants to look at it as such, is that the site doesn't have any graphic bookkeeping abilities, nor does it know any of the rules except for card and hand management. You have to be able to either keep a game setup at your house, or do what I do and use the Vassal module to manually keep track of influence points while playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StocktonDave wrote:
If you are looking for pbem games, you might try seeing if the Automated Card Tracking System (ACTS) at Warhorse Simulations will work for you.

This site deals out the cards and keeps track of your hand and your opponent's hands. You go to the site, play what card you want to, resolve any die rolls etc... The system sends you and your opponent emails for verification as well as keeping a log onsite.

The downside if one wants to look at it as such, is that the site doesn't have any graphic bookkeeping abilities, nor does it know any of the rules except for card and hand management. You have to be able to either keep a game setup at your house, or do what I do and use the Vassal module to manually keep track of influence points while playing the game.

Mr. Lanphear, everything you've described can be handled by the spreadsheet (and more). In fact, the Game Engine is a perfect companion to playing on ACTS although ACTS is completely unnecessary as the spreadsheet can handle all Card Management tasks (including Our Man in Tehran) thank you very much!

As for Mr. Ekberg, I'm the designer of the spreadsheet and I'd be glad to "show you the ropes". I sometimes scratch my head why more people don't see the value in using the spreadsheet but I'm likely to be biased.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll get the balling rolling. What Superpower would you like to be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts too, the Game Engine does all that. But thanks to StocktonDave for explaining ATCS and its relationship with Vassal, I will explore that some more as well

Troy: PM sent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Colica
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also prefer a PBEM-like method to play this game, and actually think the best is the combined use of ACTS (to perform actions, very clean and simple to use, yet good enforcing of rules/deck managment/die managment) and Vassal (as sheet to track board status).

I'm also a n00b, less than 10 completed games so far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano, if you want to play a game I can give ATCS a try too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kaufman
United States
Rosemead
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got about the same experience level and game for a game, PBEM ideally. Pick a side and drop me a line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Colica
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Engelbrekt wrote:
Stefano, if you want to play a game I can give ATCS a try too.

Hello David,
I have actually 2 games in progress, I don't have the time to manage more then this right now.
When first game end, if you'll be still available, I will be really happy to play with u.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel: message sent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.