oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 player.

We started in a gentle pace. No rush for points. What was a kind of "against the odds" was the early reshuffle card in Building Permit deck. Normally the BP deck will be played trough several times. In fact it was reshuffled early twice in a row. - And the "12"wealth was relocated only once, and the "lady Gaga" moves in, card with highest "6" prestige was only played once rather late.

Town deck will generally put approx half of the other value markers in play. You will not find events or high swing cards in this deck.

My priority was vocations and the Mayor, grabbing the tie breaker Media vocation and was pretty sure to keep the Mayor card rest of the game.

In this first gentle pace we gave priority to money, and we were even when we hit the City deck or the Disaster deck.

First a flood hit the town. I had lost the Media marker to White who gained his usual points for disasters. And the Mayor lose 9 points! I literary (almost) went back to square one!

Due to the early reshuffle of BP deck 2 Renewal (demolish) cards appeared. Union Boss (White) grabbed those (8AP) and the protection of Contractor was unfortunally somewhere in a distant future.

I was lagging behind thanks to the Flood. But my income was good. Vocations and well placed buildings in a golden block was a safe income. Money was not an issue for me in this game. I started to go for VP`s. No problem. I was very pleased by the speed of VP income. I decided to go for it! Grabbing as much VP as possible and hope for good lead that will last whole game.

My score was approx 65 while White and Pink was back around 45 when the game really turned against me. I had lost two vocations and with the Media marker gone, I lost the Mayor card.

Situation:
Pink one point ahead of White and owning one Political card. And now the Contractor appeared! White owning the rest of the Political cards, inclusive 8 AP Union Boss, and 2 Renewal demolish cards!

And one point behind Pink he also owned the Contractor!!!!

Me - well ahead could only hope for a quick race, and gain the Contractor. But they just nibbled VP, shifting Contractor almost each turn.

Boy -this hurts! And advice: NEVER build three singles in your golden block! Not be greedy and spread out. Less money - but demolishing 3 of your buildings in a single turn, means that you probably will lose the game.

Finally White rushed past me, and I was waiting for Pink to catch up, and get some protection as a Contractor.

Now we were even once again around 75 points. White holding almost all Politicians seems to be in position to win. But I demolished and build the most valuable Civic building, and build the Bus Terminal with double vocations. With two ballots showing up I would have both the Mayor and District Attorney.

But the ballot box did not show up. No panic yet. The Metropolitan stack seems still rather high.

My turn. Fifty bucks, two BP cards on hand, a badass build card in Favor box, and not to forget the Contractor title, and no doubt both the Mayor and D.A. will be in my pocket at the end of my turn.Maybe it not as bad as it looks.

Just the top card of Metropolitan deck to be flipped, Just one card and it is my turn. Start to plan....

OLYMPIC GAMES!!!

I could not believe it! So early!!! We counted the remaining cards - must be something wrong. 22 cards. O.G. was topmost card possible.

In short, White with almost all poltical cards ended up around 130 points. Pink (one political card) just passed 100 point, and me slightly less than 100 points. (no political card)

Analyzing - it is not as bad as it looks, O.G.being the topmost card possible, and I was just a single card from doing my turn.

White would then had 13 points less and I 13 points more. Possible ruin his "6" row score by demolishing and some VP from building effect - the game would end up much closer.

White would no doubt win anyway, but probably with approx 10 point, and a close race between me and Pink.

I consider this game still a close race - and great experience!

Awesome game!
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Rehaug
Norway
Ler
flag msg tools
badge
Hi! I'm Macaos. A cute, kind, sporty and fun Bearded Collie. I enjoy lying under the table when Macao is on the table.
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup I'll be glad to play this one more!

P.S. I was playing pink!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pyr-shep wrote:
thumbsup I'll be glad to play this one more!

P.S. I was playing pink!

A great play by you. Too bad you was short of money most of the game. Epic fight for money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:
My priority was vocations and the Mayor, grabbing the tie breaker Media vocation and was pretty sure to keep the Mayor card rest of the game.

That's my favored strategy, as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:
and the "lady Gaga" moves in, card with highest "6" prestige was only played once rather late.

That little bit of imagination makes the game a lot more fun. Jokes about "Occupy" protesters when the Protest card comes out or the latest action film when the film shoot comes up, etc. make the game fun. Of course, the players have to add their imaginations and cut ups and there are many who don't and see this as nothing more than an abstract. That's too bad. A games fun factor (to me) is increased when it's the inspiration for the players to have a little meta game humor and fun with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kemp
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am waiting for the obligatory '....so I traded it away comment' on this thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
eker wrote:
and the "lady Gaga" moves in, card with highest "6" prestige was only played once rather late.

That little bit of imagination makes the game a lot more fun. Jokes about "Occupy" protesters when the Protest card comes out or the latest action film when the film shoot comes up, etc. make the game fun. Of course, the players have to add their imaginations and cut ups and there are many who don't and see this as nothing more than an abstract. That's too bad. A games fun factor (to me) is increased when it's the inspiration for the players to have a little meta game humor and fun with it.

Yes - and when rock concert in the park is build later (usually in the worst slum) of course Lady Gaga is the main attraction, this generates some laugh and comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geir Harald
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a good game, I played white.

Compared with my previous play (4 players) it felt much less stressful. Maybe I just got lucky with the chaos. But it sure is fun when you have the wind in your back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Boy -this hurts! And advice: NEVER build three singles in your golden block! Not be greedy and spread out. Less money - but demolishing 3 of your buildings in a single turn, means that you probably will lose the game.
Next time demolish your own buildings with a 3 or 4 building to protect yourself.

How was OG the top card of the deck? That's not possible unless you're playing some variant.

And then I traded the game away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Quote:
Next time demolish your own buildings with a 3 or 4 building to protect yourself.

How was OG the top card of the deck? That's not possible unless you're playing some variant.

And then I traded the game away.

Demolish own building seems to be a good idea. First milking them as long as you dare. Then demolish. You will lose one or two buildings anyway, but the alternate is far worse. In my case I was in the lead with no renewal cards, no option for me anyway in this game.

O.G. was the top possible. Counting cards - the O.G. was the 22. card from bottom. It must have been on the top of shuffled prep deck (7) adding fixed 15 bottom cards = 22.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pulinski wrote:
I am waiting for the obligatory '....so I traded it away comment' on this thread

Clyde is your friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.