Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the fellowship enters, moves through, or leaves a shadow stronghold, you automatically draw a hunt tile. My reading of this rule is that it happens at most once per move per stronghold, but I feel that it's a bit ambiguous.

In other words, if the fellowship moves through Moria, they draw one tile (not three, one for moving into, one for moving through, and one for leaving -- that seems harsh).

If the fellowship ends a movement in Moria, they draw a tile for entering it. If they move again out of Moria in another move, they would draw another tile for leaving it.

For ease of reading, I'm using "move" here to mean "trace a path after declaring the fellowship's position".

Is my interpretation of this rule correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
mvkhaos wrote:

Yes, I believe you are correct. You certainly would not draw 3 hunt tiles in the situation you describe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvkhaos wrote:
If the fellowship enters, moves through, or leaves a shadow stronghold, you automatically draw a hunt tile. My reading of this rule is that it happens at most once per move per stronghold, but I feel that it's a bit ambiguous.

In other words, if the fellowship moves through Moria, they draw one tile (not three, one for moving into, one for moving through, and one for leaving -- that seems harsh).

If the fellowship ends a movement in Moria, they draw a tile for entering it. If they move again out of Moria in another move, they would draw another tile for leaving it.

For ease of reading, I'm using "move" here to mean "trace a path after declaring the fellowship's position".

Remember, this rule is only applicable if the Fellowship has been revealed. If the hunt was unsuccessful, no hunt tile is drawn for entering, passing through, or exiting a shadow stronghold when the fellowship's position is declared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsugo wrote:
mvkhaos wrote:

Remember, this rule is only applicable if the Fellowship has been revealed. If the hunt was unsuccessful, no hunt tile is drawn for entering, passing through, or exiting a shadow stronghold when the fellowship's position is declared.

Oh, right. Interesting. So the three possibilities are just to capture all the ways the fellowship could have had its path traced after being revealed by the hunt. Is my interpretation right otherwise (i.e. no multiple tile draws for going through a stronghold)?

Also, it seems like the FP would never move the fellowship through a shadow stronghold after being revealed by the hunt. It would almost always be better just to take a longer path, wouldn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
It's sometimes worth it to go through Moria, since it shaves one or two regions off the path to Mordor that the Fellowship has to go through. Although, there's also the risk of encountering the Balrog...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
It's sometimes worth it to go through Moria, since it shaves one or two regions off the path to Mordor that the Fellowship has to go through. Although, there's also the risk of encountering the Balrog...

Not only that, I've purposely gone through Moria revealed, with the Balrog, simply because I wanted GtG eliminated to bring him back with his action die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsugo wrote:
Desiderata wrote:

Not only that, I've purposely gone through Moria revealed, with the Balrog, simply because I wanted GtG eliminated to bring him back with his action die.

Ooh, nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsugo wrote:
Desiderata wrote:

You should really almost always go through moria--any other way is just too slow against any competant shadow military imho.

So tonight, turn 2 and there's 4 eyes in the hunt box. I move hoping to kill of Gandy. Die, Gandy, Die. Miss. Ok step 3 then. I burn a Ring--yes, I burned a ring to move again against 4 eyes! So he finds me and it's a 0r (only 2 chances in 16) so I'm revealed in D-Dale. Then he uses the Balrog card--Eye (no effect; 5 chances (eyes+0r) in 15). Then for Moria it's the other 0r (4 chances in 14). WTF, why don't you die Gandy?? So I use my will to fricking hide the FSP. What a @#$ waste. So there's only 1 chance in 140 games his doesn't work. Then, just as I predicted, it's some 5 turns later before I finally roll another will and get Gandy--yes 5 frickin' turns--all the while he's rolling 9 dice to my 4. Yes this is one of those horrible FP games w/o a will when you need it. Some 3 hours of pain later, turn 11, it had a happy ending, but only because he had some horrible action rolls (EEEEMMCC and EEMMMAHH) and I had like 5 bites at the Umbar apple including having Strider/Boromir/Merry coming from HD and Gandy from Fangorn and then only after Ships reinforced as well. Ugly finish to and ugly game. And this all really started because I couldn't get Gandy to die turn 2.

But seriously, you should always go through Moria--that's what Gandy and the companions are for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
dave65tdh wrote:
But seriously, you should always go through Moria--that's what Gandy and the companions are for.

I concur!

Except perhaps if you hold "Book of Mazarbul" and some other nice Event cards that will make the north-eastern (DEW-line) part of the board really strong, and the Shadow has made some moves that make you believe he is targeting the DEW-line (like playing the card "Horde from the East" in Rhûn or moving the main Mordor Army north through Morannon) as going through the Goblin Gate and then through the Old Forest Road (this route is only one region longer than the one through Moria).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.