1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How often have you actually worn out a game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been making more "to sleeve or not to sleeve" decisions lately, and it got me thinking.

I have not damaged or worn out a single game in my life. At least not in a way that sleeving, laminating, etc. would have prevented. This covers the period of my childhood where I was much rougher on games (and also frankly played them much more often).

It makes me wonder whether we really are paying a material cost for no real purpose.

What is your experience? Have you really worn out games just through ordinary play (i.e. excluding truly stupid cases of abuse)? Have you worn out any that would justify the common cost of paying an additional $5-10 (or more) per game to buy sleeves and other special treatment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
For me, it really depends on the quality of the components.

I got into WoW:TCG when it first came out and I sleeved all of them, knowing that I would probably be selling them shortly after I had started (as with all CCGs I had "started").

But now, I know I'm not going to be wearing any game out that is made up of decent components. Mainly we're talking about cards here... if they are super thin, then I would sleeve them if I really liked the game. Otherwise, I don't think there's any real need in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm in the minority here, and a blasphemer to some, but I like to buy the .99 pack of sleeves from Meijer. If they don't fit, are white bordered, or not "in hand"- I don't bother.

----I've pretty much resigned to the notion that someday, in 20 years, I might have to re-buy 2-3 of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No I haven't. But I sleeve my GDG's as any marks or wear may give away what the cards are, not because I think they will fall apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved the role cards for Meuterer because the game wears them out quicker than the other cards.

And I wish I had sleeved the cards for some games because certain players forget and bend the cards (or put them in their mouths) instead of treating them properly. It really only takes one folded, bent or otherwise marked card in a game for sleeves to be worth it.

But in general, no, I don't sleeve cards. I guess I'm just taking my chances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I haven't "Worn Out" any games necessarily, certain cards in card games have become more worn than others causing playability issues.

In Dominion, the money cards can become more warn than the rest of the cards because they are used in every game. This makes it easy to tell from the backs of the cards which are which.

In Citadels, playing with the standard role cards a lot, and occasionally adding the expansion roles in can make it very apparent who has the expansion cards, which can severely affect gameplay in a hidden role game like that.

If cards are used with uniform play, then I don't think sleeving is too much of an issue, but if the cards are somewhat flimsy, or can be work in an uneven manner, then even a slight amount of "wear" can be akin to having marked cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have worn out one game. The skill cards in BSG got to the point that I needed to replace them compared to the expansions I was adding to them,

None other have been played to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
blakstar wrote:
----I've pretty much resigned to the notion that someday, in 20 years, I might have to re-buy 2-3 of my favorites.

I don't think that many, if not most, of the games I own (and other BGGers, as well) will be available in 20 years. That guides me to sleeve those games that get regularly played or I especially enjoy so that I know I'll always have them in a good state.

Unless they get consumed by a stream of molten lava. Or a swarm of locusts. Or vampires
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjell Wiqvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
When I grew up, long long time ago, we had an old "Finans" game that was played untill the papermoney was so thin so they fell apart, the rest of the cards was also very well used.
I got a "new" game on a auktion site for a few $ , in near new condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
University Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have worn out Tichu.

It must have seen 200+ plays.

Frankly, for $12 - $15 for a new pack, I just buy a new set rather than worrying about sleeving.

I DID sleeve my Combat Commander cards, but those are not going to be so easy to replace if I needed to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
blakstar wrote:

I don't think that many, if not most, of the games I own (and other BGGers, as well) will be available in 20 years.

If you search the market place you'll find plenty of games published prior to 1992 for sale, some even new.

...anyways, from what I have heard the 16th edition of Panic Station (2028) will have playable rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
tbh i despise playing with cards in sleeves, it really annoys me. all of my games are out of sleeves and none will ever be in them.. i figure that if cards get so badly damaged you can't play with them any more then i could print a new set and use those.

even if it wasn't possible to replace the cards somehow, i think i would rather play a game till i wear it out and savour the memories of it, than not enjoy playing it in the first place because of stupid sleeves..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not cards, but I have worn out the (poor quality) die from A to Z and almost all of Trötofant. That's after replacing the "trunks" a few times and gluing some of the branches.

There's a spare Loopin Louie squirreled away in the closet because Louie is likely to bite the dust at some point and we don't want to live without him. We have duplicates of card games that we were playing to death and that I purchased at a time when I knew they were headed out of print (Roma, Nobody but Us Chickens, and Loco!), but somehow in those cases the second copy got opened before the first died, so neither copy has worn out. Only the spare Kupferkessel Co. got hidden before being opened, but I may have taken pity on some poor-Kupferkessel-deprived friend and given the spare away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
SlyFrog wrote:
What is your experience? Have you really worn out games just through ordinary play (i.e. excluding truly stupid cases of abuse)?

Yes. Cards are usually the first to go and I have gone through decks in some games and many others show wear. Games with printed pieces can take abuse as well.

Quote:
Have you worn out any that would justify the common cost of paying an additional $5-10 (or more) per game to buy sleeves and other special treatment?

I don't sleeve. I'm pretty happy when I play a game enough to wear it out. I appreciate it when I can get replacement parts. Otherwise I can buy another copy of the game or create replacements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Briel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Wallop !
mbmb
I wore out the role selection cards to Citadels (1st edition) to the point where each one was easily identifiable. That was just due to constant shuffling and general use. I got the expansion which came with a replacement set and sleeved just those cards.

Outside of several decks of actual playing cards I've worn out over the years (especially in high school and college), I can't think of another game I've actually worn out from use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Pit is mostly destroyed. It's cheap, so I'd probably just buy another copy rather than try and sleeve what I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through four Pocket Box editions of Car Wars and Ogre (two each) and two copies of Intruder. I don't think anything I bought after the late 80s has worn out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle for Hill 218

with over 350 plays the cards are starting to split apart a bit, I think I can get another 100 plays out of them easily, maybe more. i will gladly buy another one when I can, heck 2 of them the game is so good.

as above - for Citadels it is a good idea

for ascension i thought it better to wear them out and buy a new one then pay 50% more for sleeves, since I added the expansion I could see the sleeves helping a bit, but just playing the crap out of it and the expansion cards are getting the worn look and are good to go now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamine Allen
United States
Grand Ledge
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a copy of dominion sleeveless enough so all the staple cards (like coppers, estates, etc) had edge wearing....the black border was turning white....but then i have another copy thats been played almost as much but has been sleeved before first play and no sign of wear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of friends and I have gone trough multiple copies of Settlers and Tichu. There´s one deck of Tichu a friend owns where everyone knows what the Dog looks like on the back

Other copies have been ditched completely. But then these are cheap games we like to play when boozing and barbecueing so yes, they were treated quite mercilessly in comparison to how I would treat most other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do not like playing in cards with sleeves so i do not try to sleeve them.I did sleeve the cards in my avalon hill blackbeard game because you constantly shuffle the deck every time a random event comes up so i did end up sleeving them because they were getting worn and i did not want to go out and buy a second game just for the cards.I have worn out decks of regular playing cards already.I am considering buying a second diamant game(but the inncan gold version just for the cards) because the cards are getting a bit worn after 50+ plays.Someone else mentioned PIT and i do have a second copy of that game because one set i had was pretty beat up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SlyFrog wrote:
It makes me wonder whether we really are paying a material cost for no real purpose.

You indeed are. If the cards are uniformly played, they don't need sleeves. The only Dominion cards I saw that needed sleeves were at a game convention. And, of course, if you have cards of poor quality from the pre-Eurogame days, sure, sleeve. I have some Up Front cards which I really wished the previous ownwer sleeved.

I have more box corners than cards that are damaged, and only one damaged game board, of a game that I've played every month for several years. I sure with there was a way to "sleeve" them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elmsley4 wrote:
I have worn out Tichu.

It must have seen 200+ plays.

Frankly, for $12 - $15 for a new pack, I just buy a new set rather than worrying about sleeving.

I DID sleeve my Combat Commander cards, but those are not going to be so easy to replace if I needed to.

I have worn out three Tichu decks. The nice thing is the new Rio Grande edition comes with two new decks for about 9 bucks (online). I bought two of those (4 decks) in my last order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve cards with "other than white" borders (Dominion).

It's a shame the publishers don't run a bunch of extras and sell just the cards. That would be a nice service.

When my refrigerator filter goes bad, I don't but a new fridge, I buy a new filter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlyFrog wrote:
Have you worn out any that would justify the common cost of paying an additional $5-10 (or more) per game to buy sleeves and other special treatment?

$5-$10 PER GAME? WOW! I purchased a large box of penny sleeves 4-5 years ago. They ended up costing me roughly $.15 per pack, so I'm spending around $.15-$.45 per game. I'm just now about to run out of sleeves. I think I have 5-6 packs left.

Expensive sleeves may be nice but are totally unnecessary imho. My penny sleeves are holding up just fine after 4 years of use. I sleeve everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.