Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I thought it might be of some interest to post an after action report of a recent game that Larry Sisson and I played. I have not been too active here on Board Game Geek since I have an exclusive folder for the game on Consimworld. But I realized that some people do not frequent that board, so I'm going to try to place more information here and see if there is any interest. Please feel free to ask questions or make comments. This report is rather long and informal so I will break it up into four parts. Below is the introduction and we pick up the action in the Spring of 1813. The first year of the war has already been fought as I didn't keep any detailed notes for that.

SPRING - 1813

In the Northwest the British have Fort Mackinac
Harrison's army has just destroyed Tecumseh, Proctor and the whole Indian confederacy

Ft. Malden is in American hands, on top of the that Harrison's army is still advancing, the situation is lost in the west.

The British have control of Lake Erie but that will be lost as soon as Perry builds his fleet.

On the Niagara Rensellaer has captured Ft. Erie but Brock has captured Buffalo. Brock is going to have to get out of there though.

In the east Prevost has captured Burlington and Highgate.

The Americans now have a 5 point lead and it remains to be seen if the British can recover.

We are now well into 1813 and Larry's Americans have made amazing progress. He seems to be strong on nearly every front. Presently he has a 17 point lead. Western Upper Canada is over run with Harrison's forces although this turn I have managed to land a small force at Frenchtown to cut off the entire front.

I have a tenuous control of Lake Erie which is allowing me to do this. As soon as he builds a fleet with Perry he should be able to sweep me from the lake. I'm hoping that he either doesn't have the cards to build the fleet quickly or that it will buy me enough time to counter some of the other fronts.

My Niagara front has been shored up fairly well but he is tying down my forces near Montreal and Kingston. I have Prevost in the Lake Champlain Valley but he is too weak to advance. The American are clearly in the dominance but if I can hold on until 1814 I may be able to salvage the situation.

End of 1813 Summary

Yo! The British are hard pressed. The year ended with the US player with a 13 point lead. The winter was really rough for both sides because we had kept each other so busy with critical moves both armies were out of position and suffered accordingly.

The only thing that saved the British from a total collapse in the west was the 'Contrary Winds' card that kept Perry in port. With British control of the lake I was able to starve Harrison's advance a bit but in the east my armies suffered too. The Americans are over 'over all' in strength everywhere and the British are spread mighty thin.

Only in the Lake Champlain corridor are they capable of large offensive moves. 1814 is going to be a 'feverish' year for both sides. If one side gets a lot of good cards like “heavy rains” or “Contrary Winds” if could stifle a whole campaign. The other question is if the British will get some 'event cards' that can cancel out points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really looking forward to this one. I hope we see it printed in this bicentennial year! Sounds like the cards are really important.

I understand that the players play from a common deck. Are they split in any way so that events can only be played by one nationality or the other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hello Mike:

There are actually 'three deck's. An 1812, 1813 and an 1814 deck. There is also a 'pre-war' phase where players pick cards individually one at a time and play or hold them for limited movement within their territory.

There are no 'wasted cards' in the sense that a card if drawn can't be used for anything. Much like other CDG games, the card can be used for the 'event' or the operations. The event cards are marked with a 'flag' to indicate which side can use that card for the event.

Some events can be used by both sides and two particular events are 'hard wired' and must occur. "The Declaration of War" card, which ends the pre-war phase and "Treaty of Ghent" which could prematurely end the war.

Play testing continues but the game looks pretty solid to me. I have been working on it for nearly 3 years now and it was my hope that it would be published in 2012. But with GMT's 'busy' schedule I can't see it happening now. For Canadians the Bi-Centennial will last for 3 years so hopefully it will be out in 2013.

The 'naval' aspect of the game is emphasized too with every individual named vessel that sailed in the war. From the little one gun "Chippawa" to the Ship of the Line "St. Lawrence".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gil. I'll just have to be patient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.