Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
First half of 1814 Report in progress

Oh my! Things have happened, and most of them in favour of the Americans. As it had to, Perry's fleet finally sailed, and sent the British fleet under Barclay scurrying for port. Most times I have found it better to retreat back into port rather than have the British fleet destroyed 'for glory'.

I would fight if there is a chance for victory but it is better to have a 'fleet in being' holed up in port than no fleet at all. It's existence keeps the American navy from getting too cocky and also semi-protects Lake Huron and the Upper lakes. This is because in order to take control of Lake Huron Perry would have to split his fleet.

On land the British had a major disaster. This is of 'Saratoga' like importance. In a brilliant move Larry moved a large American force under Scott across the Niagara at Lewiston-Queenston marched to Burlington and rendezvoused with a previous force that had been landed there, then marched through the 'back country' of Beaverdams and descended on the British army desperately holding Fort Erie.

It was a desperate three round battle with Larry using an elite unit battle card and “A” class units. Drummond was defending and also had “A” class units but his army was out of supply and as a consequence was halved. The result was a foregone conclusion but the British fought as well as they could to reduce Scott's army. Scott took the fort and the entire British Centre Division of the army surrendered.

A major disaster and another 4 point swing for the Americans. Barclay's fleet which was anchored there had to quit the harbour and sail to Port Dover as refuge.

Now saw the painful advancing of the Victory Point marker to 23! We almost never have to use the +10 marker but we sure had to use it this time. I responded with a minor operations card and am now in the process of moving a major British army west, under my best commander Brock.

It feels weird to have Brock 'alive' in 1814 and in command of a major army too. It remains to be seen if Brock can clear the American army out of the Niagara. Harrison's army is in the London vicinity but it is sadly reduced and maintaining a long supply line back to Ft. Malden.

For my naval move, I built the frigate “Confiance” on Lake Champlain, and at present unless American construction commences the British should be able to seize control.

I think the Americans have the game in the bag at this point. All I can do is influence the 'level of victory' which I'm going to do. Still, with some crazy die rolls and if Larry makes some mistakes it still could tip, but a 23 point lead pretty well guarantees victory. If he has the 'Treaty of Ghent' card it is a certainty.

To be continued.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.