Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there's a dummy mechanics to make it work well with 2, but is it really good or have these rules been added to accomodate rather than make it an enjoyable gaming experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardgamemuse
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I have ONLY played it with 2 amd it is excellent! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mahmut Dural
Germany
Bad Lippspringe
flag msg tools
Sorry for my english. I played this Game 8 times in 10 days even with 2. Its brilliant. I think its the Best from essen 2011. Its very tactical and strategical with 2.

We dont want to miss this Game. Hope to see many expansions for this excellent Game.

More Artefacts, Cages and Monsters please !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Delalay
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salut Fardoche! :-)

C'est super le fun a deux. La seule chose qui change, c'est que certains "imps" bloquent des actions differentes a chaque tour. J'aime mieux ca que quand on doit jouer un dummy player. La, ca va vite. On a seulement a bouger les imps "neutres" a chaque tour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Allen
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is excellent. Better than Dungeon Lords in my opinion when it comes to how the two player variant works.

At the start of the game, six imps in a non player colour are placed on certain action spaces, blocking them in round 1. At the start of each round these move on one space, blocking different actions each round.

It is a simple and unobtrusive mechanism, whereas in Dungeon Lords players need to choose cards for a dummy player.

One of our favourite two player games currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MJ Kuchenbrod

Cary
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have my 2P review up likely before the end of the week, but the answer to your question is a resounding "yes". It scales to 2 players REALLY well, especially with the moving imp in the marketplace. I was very impressed how they made this an accessible 2P game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zrobin
Italy
rome
flag msg tools
mb
delalaym wrote:

C'est super le fun a deux. La seule chose qui change, c'est que certains "imps" bloquent des actions differentes a chaque tour. J'aime mieux ca que quand on doit jouer un dummy player. La, ca va vite. On a seulement a bouger les imps "neutres" a chaque tour.

in french noone can understand you !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
In case you haven't decided yet, yeah, it's really good with 2.

With Dungeon Lords, there's a huge drop-off from 4p to 2p, and then again a nudge down from 2p to 3p. This is because a lot of the fun in Dungeon Lords is conflict caused by the blind selection of actions.

With Dungeon Petz, there's still a blind element in the building of your groups to determine the *order* of selection, but most of the fun is in the actual drafting of the actions which is not blind. It's a fairly small drop-off from 4p to 3p and 2p; with more, the competition for the exhibitions is more interesting. Unforunately, as most of the stall time is in the two simultaneous phases (building drafting groups; assigning need cards to pets), you don't get much benefit in decreased downtime or playtime when you reduce the number of players. However, you still get the increased chance of winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miner Willy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
in most other worker placement games, the 2 player restrictions tend to feel a bit "oh, yeah, this game doesn't work with 2 really.. erm.. block these spaces? will that do?", so I know exactly what is concerning you.

Do not be concerned... I've only played it with 2 and it feels to me like it was always designed this way. I'm genuinely curious to see if it can possibly be as good with 3 or 4!

What has really impressed me with dungeon petz is how cleverly the 6 "dummy" imps work. There's a really well-designed elegance to the way they move around the board, the way certain turns the imps just happen to co-ordinate to significantly deny one of the two food types, or the way the pet buying squares seem to open just as every is getting desperate to buy new pets.

Dungeon Petz has turned me into a total Vlaada fanboy overnight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite frankly, DP's dummy players this is the model that all worker placement games should use to tighten up the board. The auto-roving 3rd & 4th player are brilliant, much more tactically interesting and deep than a permanent "close off half of the worker placement spots" you see in other games. Brilliant, in short, and fantastic to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zrobin wrote:
delalaym wrote:

My French is quite rusty (born if France, left when I was 12 to the US (40 years ago)) - so please forgive me if I translate this wrong. But the best I can tell, he said:

Hi Theophilus! :-)

It's great fun for two. The only thing that changes is that some "imps" block different actions each round. I'd like it better when [played without] a dummy player. The [game?] goes fast. We only move the "neutral" imps each round.

-SK

EDIT: Changed "with" to "without". Thanks you to Fardoche
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it works very well with 2!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
zrobin wrote:
delalaym wrote:

My French is quite rusty (born if France, left when I was 12 to the US (40 years ago)) - so please forgive me if I translate this wrong. But the best I can tell, he said:

It's great fun for two. The only thing that changes is that some "imps" block different actions each round. I'd like it better when [played with] a dummy player. The [game?] goes fast. We only move the "neutral" imps each round.

-SK

Actually he says he likes it better when NOT played with a dummy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
sargonkid wrote:
zrobin wrote:
delalaym wrote:

It's great fun for two. The only thing that changes is that some "imps" block different actions each round. I'd like it better when [played with] a dummy player. The [game?] goes fast. We only move the "neutral" imps each round.

-SK

Actually he says he likes it better when NOT played with a dummy.

O.o! Thats what I meant too! I can see why I should NOT be a langauge translator!

I will correct my original post.

Thank you for the correction! : )

-SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.