Subject: Game takes too long? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Jones
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 5 player game and never made it to 400 points- people werent exploring because they were too scared of bad stuff happening to them so the game took longer... I was wondering how 5 player games went for other people? Also the punishment for your ship being destroyed doesnt look that bad so maybe you should explore every turn?

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If people are too afraid of exploring, then they aren't playing the game properly! After getting a few diplomacy points from the star base into your hand, the first thing you should be doing is exploring and hoping to encounter a lower-ranking ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Jones
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they treat the game like its resident veil where its bad to explore if your not ready

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I do recommend early exploring. I don't thing the bad things that may happen are that bad, and on top of it, the advantage of defeating a small ship early is massive (war events you win due to the early ship advantage are always worth 50points = nice).

An explored ship may defeat your ship and end your turn, which means nothing more than you wanna buy stuff before your early explore (and thus you cannot make use of the mission benefits that reduce the price, but what the hell ...).

The only bigger disadvantage of early exploring is that you serve an uncompleted mission to your opponents ... who are however in the similar situation as you (not that many resources), so not a big deal really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to General

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
qurgh lungqIj
msg tools
My play group often explores on the first turn. As long as you have 2-3 speed and 2 diplomacy, you can get 75% of the 25 point ships (which is your early explore goal). I've seen someone have 11xp, a 25pt ship and a mission completed on the first turn because they explored.

There's only 2 cards in the Space deck that can kill you outright and then those cards will do that in the middle of a game just as easily as on the first turn, so there's no real loss from exploring first turn(unless you pull a war and everyone gangs up on you).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game designer recommends playing a 200 point game if you want to shorten things. He said play to 200 points, take out 3 75 point ships, and the 200 point Q.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.