Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I swore I wouldn't get any sets until I found a way to store all my cards in one box, and I was finally able to solve that particular problem, so it's time for me to pick up another Dominion expansion!

I presently own Seaside and the base set. It seems like Intrigue, Prosperity, or Hinterlands would all be great areas to expand into. I don't really have a preference for "feel" of set - so long as there are interesting options and unique gameplay, I'm a happy camper. I know Intrigue gets billed as a bit more choosy/interactive, Prosperity is supposed to be EVERYTHING IS BIGGER, and Hinterlands seems a bit of "a bit more of everything, now with on-buy effects and abilities that trigger in interesting ways." I'm leaning Hinterlands, but I'm not an expert on expansions or Dominion and figured I'd be able to make an educated decision from the opinions of those with more experience than me. In short: which expansion would you recommend I purchase next and why? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go Hinterlands next. It changes things enough to be worth it and is a full box set but isn't as game changing as Prosperity which I would save for last to give you something big to look forward to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Olson
United States
Troy
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intrigue is my favorite set, sometimes even edging out the base game. The cards "fit" in all different scenarios, so I feel it's a great choice early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest looking through the cards of each set, noting which cards look like they'd be fun to play with (taking your play group into consideration), then getting the set with the most such cards. That's what I've done so far, and I've been pleased with the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
binaryeye wrote:
I suggest looking through the cards of each set, noting which cards look like they'd be fun to play with (taking your play group into consideration), then getting the set with the most such cards. That's what I've done so far, and I've been pleased with the experience.

That's certainly very reasonable advice, and by that metric, I'm favoring Hinterlands. I just know I've heard many expansions spoken of quite fondly and want to ensure I'm not missing out on something I hadn't considered. Should the new addition prove popular enough, I'm sure it won't be too tough to sell the group on another expansion after that... and after that... and after that...

I will say one thing I enjoy about the Dominion expansions is that it's quite easy to fit several of them together with little to no trouble in doing so (exception: Alchemy requires a fair bit of focus for it to be useful) due to the modular design and the fact that it's easy for the cards to "talk" to one another without requiring other cards from the same expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Snipafist wrote:
(exception: Alchemy requires a fair bit of focus for it to be useful)

Even Alchemy doesn't really require extra focus; we generally play with all cards at random, ignoring the 3-5 Alchemy cards recommendation, and don't run into problems. Most of the Potion-costing cards are strong enough that it's worth considering going for them even if they're the only card costing Potion in the set. If Familiar is the only Curse-distributor, or University has a strong 5-buy or two to farm, or Transmute is the only trasher, or there's enough trashing around for Scrying Pool's draw power to start exploding, or Golem has anything remotely resembling an interesting combo... most of them are attractive enough to be worth going for even without others.

Really, the only downside to having only one card costing Potion around is that the game can be quite swingy depending on whether your hand containing Potion meets that exact threshold cost. For example, of we both open with Potion at the start of the game to go for Familiar, and I end up with 3+P in my and hand you only have 2+P in your hand, then you're at a very large disadvantage - I get myself a powerful Curse-distributor, and you can't even afford Silver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Brokoli
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The simplest : Intrigue
The most popular : Prosperity
The most difficult (but interesting) : Hinterlands
My favorite : Cornuccopia
And the expansion that I like least : Alchemy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation: Hinterlands (both my favorite expansion and the one you seem to be heavily leaning towards anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
BaconSnake wrote:
My recommendation: Hinterlands (both my favorite expansion and the one you seem to be heavily leaning towards anyway).

I'd like to tack a question onto this thread, if I could.

I have the base, and intrigue. I've played Alchemy and didn't like it. I don't like having a special currency for specific cards only, and the obligation that I feel to have more than just 1 or 2 of Alchemy's cards in play.

I realize my feelings on alchemy aren't a universal truth. But based on how I feel, are there other expansions I may feel the same way about? Or is Alchemy the only one where the cards are sort of tied to each other?

My preference is when you can just take a totally random group of 10 cards from any box, and still feel happy about it. Am I pretty safe with any of the other expansions?

Edit: Eric, I see you basically answered my question (that all other expansions DO mix well). Anyone disagree?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they all mix well. If you don't want player mats or tokens/coins to mess with than there may be an expansion or two to avoid in your eyes, but they aren't quite as "in your face" as potions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes108 wrote:
BaconSnake wrote:

I'd like to tack a question onto this thread, if I could.

I have the base, and intrigue. I've played Alchemy and didn't like it. I don't like having a special currency for specific cards only, and the obligation that I feel to have more than just 1 or 2 of Alchemy's cards in play.

I realize my feelings on alchemy aren't a universal truth. But based on how I feel, are there other expansions I may feel the same way about? Or is Alchemy the only one where the cards are sort of tied to each other?

My preference is when you can just take a totally random group of 10 cards from any box, and still feel happy about it. Am I pretty safe with any of the other expansions?

Edit: Eric, I see you basically answered my question (that all other expansions DO mix well). Anyone disagree?

From what I've seen, this is pretty much the universal opinion.

I suspect I might like Alchemy, actually, and am looking forward to picking it up. I just wish there was more alchemy cards to make even more use of the potions and stuff. But given how unpopular its been, I doubt its being given another expansion.

Almost any large expansion is going to be good and mix well. The small box expansions are a little... special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
I think they all mix well. If you don't want player mats or tokens/coins to mess with than there may be an expansion or two to avoid in your eyes, but they aren't quite as "in your face" as potions.

Thanks. Yeah, I don't mind adding some complexity. I did dabble very briefly in Seaside and didn't have a problem with the mat, the the continuing effects, etc...

lordrahvin wrote:

I suspect I might like Alchemy, actually, and am looking forward to picking it up. I just wish there was more alchemy cards to make even more use of the potions and stuff. But given how unpopular its been, I doubt its being given another expansion.

Almost any large expansion is going to be good and mix well. The small box expansions are a little... special.

Yeah, maybe an option to convert potions into coin, or vice versa might have helped. Something where the potions were not 100% required, but more of an alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
Holmes108 wrote:

It's far from universal, but it is prevalent.

Alchemy combines better than most people think, and the recommendation to play with several Alchemy cards in the set can be ignored after you get some experience with it. Alchemy cards generally combine with themselves, so you can usually justify going for potions even if there's only one Alchemy card in the set, if that card supports a strategy you want to pursue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For your needs, dear OP, I'd recommend Hinterlands, too, for reasons already discussed.

In defense of Alchemy, by the wayside, I'd like to add just a couple of points.

It does thoroughly mix with the other sets completely. Some people feel it should have more cards requiring Potions or none at all but that is something that they either prefer because they like it that way, need to get over because it is holding them back from enjoying it the way they enjoy all the rest, or simply something they'll avoid ever dealing with and won't --and don't need to-- fix.

What the Potions really do as a specialized Treasure is set apart the Potion-playing players from the non-Potion-playing players. This is only really evident when only one or two cards in the set require Potions to acquire. If 3-5 cards in the set require Potions, then everyone will be getting Potions (the cards are all just so powerful!) and the opportunity to buy Potion-required cards causes more swings. With just 1-2 cards in the set require Potions, some players will lean toward them and some will prefer to make a go of a steadier deck and accept that they won't get those Potion cards. Now you have some players that can acquire certain cards and some that cannot.

This adds an important element of privilege for those who invested contrasted by the have-nots who got off to an earlier start by using immediately useful stuff. While playing any game of Dominion, there are often moments where you think to yourself, internally, I hope, "That guy doesn't have any +1 Buy cards so the best pace he can make is one Victory card per turn," or maybe, "That guy doesn't have any +2 Action cards so at most, he can play only one terminal Action per turn (so I'm not worried about his two Torturers)/(so he can't play a Militia + Masquerade combo)." That changes quickly when that other player just picks up a Worker's Village. When it comes to cards that cost Potions, though, you know that the player without cannot buy cards that cost Potions without getting a Potion first and this allows you to strategize how better to compete with that deck over the next several turns, at least. "That guy doesn't have a Potion and (there are no +1 Buy cards out there so he cannot get Cities as fast as I can if I get Universities)/(there are no +2 Action cards out there so I can outpace him in Actions if I get Golems)."

Potion Treasures make it possible to shut someone out of buying certain, powerful cards if you manage to trash their Potions with your Pirate Ship or Thief. To get back into the Alchemist rush, that player needs to buy a new Potion first. Discarding someone's Silver with a Spy becomes a measured decision depending on if that player has more strong Treasures or more weak Treasures. But choosing to discard someone's Potion is dependent upon if you want him being able to buy those certain cards in the near future.

Potions made it possible to introduce some very powerful cards to the game without being too ridiculous. Possession seems unreasonable at any price but with a high cost and a special Treasure requirement, it isn't a matter of getting a big payoff at once to buy one because the opportunity presented itself but a premeditated decision to try for them. Familiars are a really strong attack but it is nearly impossible to get one in play before turn five and very difficult to get to play two in one turn before turn eight or so, which also assumes that's all the guy is trying to do. For these really strong effects, either a special restriction was needed or else they are just a bad idea and we never get to see such strong cards in the game.

If Potions were just more coins and not a different form of currency, none of this could happen.

That all said, I'm actually quite disappointed that none of those cards ever cost more than one Potion at a time. I really think that Alchemists should just cost 2 Potions. They are powerful enough to warrant such. Consider, they are Laboratories on crack. If that Potion were a Silver instead, you could buy a Laboratory any time you could've bought an Alchemist, assuming both were available. For their stronger effect, Alchemists should be harder to get, not just different. Besides, if there is any card in the Alchemy box that you don't mind putting more than one Potion in your deck for, it is Alchemist. As it stands, there really is never any necessity to ever put more than one Potion in any deck.

I'm glad as anyone that we're not seeing more of this kind of thing in other boxes. It is Alchemy's unique thing and it is a good mechanic. What usually turns people off to it is the self-perpetuating problem of thinking that Potion-required cards need to appear in bulk and that means Potions are must-buys. With a variety of Potion-required cards, any time you get a Potion with any amount of coins, you can buy something good. There is no decision and deck-precision needed. Especially since very few cards with Potions on their price tag even share the same coin cost, having two of the same exact cost in a single set, even with 3-5 Potion-required cards is rare, indeed. Insisting that half of the cards require Potions (and certainly the best few piles of cards will require 'em) you either go for a boring money-based deck or you get those powerful Action cards with Potions. If you don't insist that half the set is from Alchemy, you free the players up to choose whether to get Potions or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.