Thomas Viguier
France
flag msg tools
Hi guys,

Because I love the Blood Bowl background, I've just tried to figure how could some other teams be, and here the result. I wanted to find a way to keep what was for me the "soul" and the way to play the different teams in the real game. So, it's just my own point of view...

Dark Elves Lineup (12 players - Total Star power : 24/8)

In my opinion, they are bad and evil, but also have a running style of play : so, they cheat, have numerous players with pass, but also can hit the weak players.

4x Lineman 1/0 | None | GUARD

2x Runner 2/1 | Cheat, Pass | DUMP-OFF

2x Assassin 2/0 | Cheat, Cheat | Scoreboard Phase: After the Cheat tokens of this matchup have been revealed, but before resolving them, you can choose any one (even from your opponent) and discard it

2x Blitzer 3/1 | Cheat, Pass, Tackle | JUGGERNAUT

For them, I wanted to have some powerful players, as in the game they are quick, have good agility and good armor. I Wanted also reflect their evil side by the ability to hit the weakest opponents.

2x Witch elve 3/2 | Cheat, Tackle | DODGE

I wanted to represent their capacity to attack in the bloody fights while keeping their capacity to quickly going back in play. I have also maintain their agility and their capacity to avoid the strongest blows.

Norse Lineup (12 players - Total Star power : 26/6)

For this team, I tried to reflect their strong capacity to attack and bring their opponents down, and in the same time the fact that they still have very low armor. For me, they can also show some agility, especially in a running style.

4x Lineman 1/0 | None | GUARD

2x Catcher 2/0 | Pass, Tackle | DAUNTLESS

2x Thrower 2/0 | Tackle | STRIP BALL

2x Blitzer 3/2 | Tackle | None

The "2" downed Star Power represent the Blood Bowl capacities Frenzy and Leap.

2x Werewolf 4/1 | Tackle | Response: After this player successfully tackled another player, roll a single additionnal die and apply the result

For them, because the roster possess two, I didn't want overpower players and try to represent their "beast" side. Their ability isn't a real advantage in most situations, because it increases the risk to fall yourself. The exceptions are against Dwarfs or specials capacities (Sure Hands for example).

Amazon Lineup (12 players - Total Star power : 25/6)

Like the Norse team, the Amazons can't rely on their low armor to avoid the mighty blows. But they still have good evasion abilities, and thus could construct a game based on pass and use of the ball, even if they can't match the elves.

4x Linewoman 1/0 | None | GUARD

2x Catcher 2/0 | Sprint, Pass | SURE HANDS

2x Thrower 2/1 | Pass | NERVES OF STEEL

3x Blitzer 3/1 | Tackle | FEND

Even if they didn't have any special values for their characteristics in the normal Blood Bowl game, the Amazon blitzers still could use the powerful Block - Dodge combo, so I wanted this players to reflect this. And in my opinion, even if the Catcher and Thrower have good capacities, they aren't so efficient as the Wood Elves. And I found funny to have the best players in a team not good for themselves, but act as support for the others (because they must be hit themselves to really help the rest of the team).

1x Unicorn 4/1 | Sprint, Sprint, Sprint | DODGE

At the start, I tried to use the Unicorn really like a "bulwark" against other big guys and attacks in general, for example reduce the Star Power by 1 for every opponing tackles. But it was in my opinion a bit overpower, and we lost the high movement this creature have in the game. So I keept a defensive capacity for the Unicorn itself, and try to find a different way to see this "big guy", differently as just bigger = stronger.

Undead Lineup (12 players - Total Star power : 19/9)

I wanted to keep the variety that this teams could have, and in the same time the large number of weak players. Also, I tried to figure out how to translate the REGENERATION ability. At the beginning, it was a strict translation of the original rules, and you had to throw a dice each time one of your player was injuried. But for the moment, I didn't notice that injure opponing players happen so often, because most of the time to down them is normally sufficient to take the advantage (except for the Chaos teams of course whose gain Fans for this !). Finally, I decided to have this capacity gives the opportunity to quickly recover the tired and injuried players (through the necromancers and dark magic obviously !), so a variation of the Sprint ability. The team is still the one for wich I still have more doubts.

3x Zombie 0/0 | None | GUARD | REGENERATION : Each time a player with this capacity is downed because of an opponent, you can use Sprint

2x Skeleton 0/0 | Cheat | REGENERATION

2x Ghoul 2/0 | Sprint, Pass | DODGE

3x Wight 3/2 | Tackle | REGENERATION

2x Mummie 3/3 | Tackle, Cheat | PILING ON | FEND

In the game, the Mummies are slightly weaker than the real big guys (or slower), but you can have several in your roster. So, I tried to offer the Undead big guys without using the usual 4/2. Also, I wanted to reflect the fact that Mummies still are stronger than normal players (Piling on) and still hard to break (Fend and the "3" for the down value).

Star Players and Necromantic

At the beginning, I worked about the Necromantic, but find that was too many variety. I give you anyway my version of the Werewolf, a big guy not so strong but very fast and capable to hit the weakest opponents. And just an idea for the Hack Enslash, without another use of the dice.

Werewolf 4/1 | Sprint, Sprint, Tackle | Response: After this player successfully tackled an opponing player, he gets the Ball token for him

Hack Enslash 2/2 | Cheat, Cheat | None

So, thank you for reading, and I welcome your comments, even positive ^^

EDIT : Following the remarks, I updated all the names of the players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Böttcher
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

Never heard of the Unicorn ?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minor nitpicks (based off Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition, so I think my LRB knowledge is up to date?) and not going too much off balance, just concept...

DARK ELVES

Dark Elf Thrower should be a Dark Elf Runner.

The Assassin should probably have an ability that lets him forgo a tackle to make a single die roll attempt to injure an opposing player or something like that.

Witch might be better off with two tackles to better represent Frenzy.

I'll do this one race at a time, since I need to get back to work. >_>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Viguier
France
flag msg tools
Thanks for your comments !

Actually, the Unicorn was present for the very beginning (in the 3rd edition if I'm not mistaken), as a Star Player named Lucky Luc. I have already seen on the Internet a conversion of it into a standard player. So, for me it was an obvious one that I had to use it for this team, but indeed I realize that is not ^^ I had the alternative to have a jungle Troll, but I didn't want to introduce in this team a fighting player. But not have any Big guy would force me to have better standard players, and would not represent the weakness of the Amazon team.

For minor changes you suggest, in my opinion, the Blood Bowl Team Manager has to keep the spirit of the game, but isn't a direct translation. I said that, even if I'm really a huge fan of the original game...
Just a few examples of differences :
- the human catcher is stronger than the thrower
- the black orc is only stronger in attack
- the skaven blitzer is better than the orc one (a Sprint abality)
- the skaven runner gutter is "slower" than the wood elf one (1 Sprint versus 2)
- the war dancer, which are among the best players in Blood Bowl, are worse than the human ones (in my opinion)
- the treeman don't possess any rule that represent its slow
- the dwarf troll slayer, wich isn't so different from the witch, has only one tackle ability (and none about frenzy)
So, the goal, isn't to list all the differences, but I think you have to suggest how you use them in a standard game.

What you opinion, perhaps I strayed... And I don't have any idea for the moment for the Star Players or Team Upgrade.

And I dream about blank cards, just to test them ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, following up on your ideas for new teams, I have thought to send mine. Here are the Chaos Dwarves:

CHAOS DWARF TEAM 25/11
5 x Hobgoblin Linemen: 1/0, Guard
2 x Chaos Dwarf Blunderbuss: 2/1. Special Ability: Blunderbuss. When this player is committed, you may choose to use the blunderbuss. Roll the 2 dice and choose the best result:
Star: Blunderbuss player obtains Pass and Cheat skills.
Blank: No Effect
Cross: Blunderbuss explodes. Player is knocked out
3 x Chaos Dwarf Blockers: 3/2, Dirty Player
1 x Bull Centaur: 3/1, Run, Tackle
1 x Minotaur: 4/2, Tackle, Cheat, Run. Special Ability: Response

The Chaos Dwarf team has the disadvantage of having 5 linemen,as Chaos Dwarves are not really very numerous and rely very much on their hobgoblin slaves to do their chores for them (even playing Blood Bowl!).
The Blunderbuss in standard Blood Bowl was only available to a Star Player, but I think in BBTM every team needs at least one or two players who can handle the ball.

I am now thinking about the Chaos Pact team. Let me know what you think about the Chaos Dwarves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CHAOS PACT TEAM "CHAOS ALL STARS"25/8

4 Marauder Linemen 1/0 Guard.

2 Dark Elf Renegades. 2/1. Run, Pass. Dodge

2 Skaven Renegades. 2/0. Run, Cheat

1 Goblin Renegade. 1/0. Cheat. Dodge, The Right Stuff: All players in this team with SPP value of 4 or more, are considered to have the "Throw Team Mate" ability regarding the Goblin Renegade.

Chaos Troll 4/2. Tackle, Cheat. Crush

Minotaur 4/2. Tackle, Cheat, Run. Response: if the Minotaur is downed in a tackle, he may immediately tackle the player who downed him, using his full standing SPP value.

Chaos Ogre 4/2. Tackle, Cheat. Juggernaut

A team with the hitting power concentrated in the 3 Big Guys, no SPP 3 value player. Running skill will probably be important for the Chaos Pact. Ball handling ability is limited to the 2 Dark Elves.

Well, this is an initial idea, not playtested yet. Comments welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ginkhoma, some comments on your Dark Elf lineup. I really like the way you have presented the teams, by the way. And I felt long overdue in sending my comments, as I have "cuckolded" your thread to post my own teams! :-)

If you add the total skills in this team, you have 10 Cheat, 4 Tackle, 2 Pass, and 0 Sprint. I think the Dark Elves are also renowned for being good runners. So I would suggest that you reduce at least 2 Cheats and change them for Sprints.

Assassin: this guy should have tackle instead of 1 of the Cheats. Maybe you could reveal the other Cheat token when making an "assassination attempt". If it is a numbered chit, add it to the assassin's SPP value for the tackle. If it is anything else, resolve it after the tackle roll. If the assassin rolls double POW! (double success) on the tackle roll, the victim is injured instead of just downed.

Witch Elf: I would consider Frenzy to represent their combat style; also to give this team some chance to fight off big guys, since they do not have of their own.

For the blitzers, I like the Juggernaut skill. But Dirty Player would also be very thematic. I am sure the Dark Elf supporters would go mad at the sight of an injured enemy player!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.