Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had games last 10 minutes and 1.5 hours. Frankly, this is one of the few games I cannot stand.

But I thank you for your review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I've had games last 10 minutes and 1.5 hours. Frankly, this is one of the few games I cannot stand.

And how many of those games that you can't stand but you still visit their forums?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

And how many of those games that you can't stand but you still visit their forums?

Many. I shouldn't. I want to like game system. I can't figure out how to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. Good timing, too. I bought this game today because I think our family group will have some fun with it. I don't expect it to be played often, but will be a crazy departure from our usual games now and then. Your review confirmed what I had assumed from reading the rules.

Fluxx has been around for a while, and it must have a decent fan base, with all the versions now available. I can see that it would only be fun with the right game group, though. We'll mix it with more serious games and hope to get some enjoyment from it, because it is so different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mirkes
United States
La Crosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Papa was a rollin' stone...
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I want to like game system. I can't figure out how to do it.

Play We Didn't Playtest This At All instead. It's what Fluxx aims for but misses: random, changing rules as the game plays out, short play time (consistently less than 5 minutes), and loads of player interaction. There is player elimination, which might be a turn-off, but the game is so quick and they're already dealing you in on the next game before you have time to realize you hate player elimination, so it's a moot point.

[Edited to add the rest of the post that was cut off after initial post/edits. Apparently you can't use the "less than" symbol next to a number, or the system gets confused. Good to know.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx would be better if it was consistently short. As it stands, I don't really understand why people like it, if the good games are short and the boring games are long. Flip-flop that and you'd have a better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunna wrote:
Fluxx would be better if it was consistently short. As it stands, I don't really understand why people like it, if the good games are short and the boring games are long. Flip-flop that and you'd have a better game.

Your lack of understanding stems from your assumption that all people think that long games of Fluxx are boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sturner wrote:
Game Length
The game could end on the first player's turn with a good draw. It could also stretch on indefinitely the discard pile is reshuffled when needed. The box says 5 to 30 minutes, and that is probably a reasonable range for the bulk of the games.

Overall
This game can be a blast with the right group of people and miserable with the wrong group of people. Sometimes it can be real drag and won't seem to ever end. You can see the looks on the other gamers faces that they would rather just stop playing. I've actually played a Goal that let an opponent win just to end the misery at the table. During the bad sessions, you feel that you aren't even lucky enough to get the cards to let anyone win. ...

There is a simple way to handle the long-game problem: make a facsimile of the Meta Rule card Time Limit from Martian Fluxx, or just make a house rule. The gist is that you set a timer for the desired length of the game, and when it goes off the player(s) who is closest to the current Goal wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.