Strat-O-Matic Baseball» Forums » General

Subject: Stat-tracking in Strat-o-Matic vs. Out of the Park Baseball rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Strat-O-Matic Baseball decades ago, and I just received a new copy for Christmas. It's great fun to renew my friendship with this old gem. But at the same time, I'm wondering whether I can go back again.

In recent years I've been playing the computer game "Out of the Park Baseball," which allows one to simulate single games or entire seasons, using historical or fictional or current players. The PC obviously does all the stat-tracking for you, and for me, generating stats is one of the most enjoyable parts of the game. How does one do this in SOM? I've read of iPhone apps or SOM software that can help. But I worry that games like OOTP Baseball have spoiled me. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A few thoughts...

Out of the Park is, at this point, so complex it's more work than fun to play in my opinion. I've been with OOTP since it started though so I keep plugging away.

I wanted something easier to deal with and a fun way to introduce my son to baseball...SOM.

There are 2 versions of SOM now, a VERY competent videogame. You buy the software and then the card sets. Stats are tracked for you and essentially it just keeps track of everything a physical set would do electronically.

Or...

Cards & Dice, which is what' you're referring to of course. A lot of folks have purchased an iOS/Adroid app to help them with score tracking. There are A TON of great choices out there. Many that will transfer the data to some kind of online format so the hard part is getting your teams set up in those systems.

I don't mind pulling together paper though. You don't do daily stat tracking which is kind of nice. I do it on a weekly basis. So you go through and work through a week's games and then just do the counts and throw em into Excel or something else.

There's something really wonderful about reconnecting with baseball seasons on a physical level rather than a virtual level!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your reply! I know what you mean about OOTP. Also, one thing I like about the board version of SOM is that you see the dice rolls. In OOTP, if I send a runner, I have no real clue what the odds are -- just some info on the quality of the outfielder's arm. In SOM, I can make a more informed decision. OK, it may be a tad *too* informed in SOM, but still, games to me are about interesting decisions.

Thanks again for your reply. I'm going to play some paper-and-dice baseball tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Tassinari
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
APBA player here, but stats are stats. Many in the APBA community who want to automate their stat tracking swear by BallStat, a PC program. 20 bucks with free upgrades for life, and it seems to be stable and well-supported. There is a learning curve, so it's probably most rewarding for high volume players, but the results are impressive. You can see screen shots and download a free demo here:

http://ballstat.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob, thanks for the reply. That looks pretty neat. I especially like the look of the BallStat screen, but I wish I understood all the marks. E.g., what do the little filled-in squares on the bottom-right mean? How about the little dots by the diamond? Also, can the system track individual pitches -- total pitches thrown, balls & strikes thrown, etc? (Not that that would help with Strat-O-Matic.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grotius wrote:
...what do the little filled-in squares on the bottom-right mean?

My guess would have been the count (strikes/balls) but i have no way to be sure.

Grotius wrote:
How about the little dots by the diamond?

I assume it indicates which side of the plate they batted from during the At Bat.

Grotius wrote:
Also, can the system track individual pitches -- total pitches thrown, balls & strikes thrown, etc? (Not that that would help with Strat-O-Matic.)

The "All Pitching Stat Lines" screen shot shows "NOP" and "NOS" stats. They might be Number Of Pitches/Strikes, but the data does not help in figuring it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Tassinari
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Paul, you're correct on all points.

The Help file for the application is right there on the site and includes a glossary. Here is a link to the pitching page (you can back up to the Help index from there):

http://ballstat.com/V10Help/hs2860.htm

I admit to owning the program but not using it extensively, although I like what I've seen in my limited use. I go for long stretches between sessions and I find that I forget much of what I figured out last time around with BallStat, which is why I said it's best for heavy dice rollers. I mainly do stats by hand, 1970s style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb

I actually ended up staring at the screen shots after my last post, trying to figure out the discrepancies, and gave up after a while and downloaded the trial version of BallStat/BallScore. The trial also comes with the full help files for both.
It is actually a very cool scoring app! cool

The screen shot was of the BallScore app setup to not count pitches. The default setup is to do so and it would fill in the squares as each strike or ball occurred.

It is definely worth the $0.00 to check out the trial version and even though I have not played SoM in a long time, I am having a hard time not grabbing the $19.99 version and getting the latest set of cards!

My CDO will kill me eventually. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Tassinari
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with it, Paul.

If you get stuck, the author of the program actively moderates a discussion forum over on Delphi:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/ballstat/messages/?msg=2265.1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grotius wrote:
Thanks for your reply! I know what you mean about OOTP. Also, one thing I like about the board version of SOM is that you see the dice rolls. In OOTP, if I send a runner, I have no real clue what the odds are -- just some info on the quality of the outfielder's arm. In SOM, I can make a more informed decision. OK, it may be a tad *too* informed in SOM, but still, games to me are about interesting decisions.

Thanks again for your reply. I'm going to play some paper-and-dice baseball tomorrow.

I was just thinking the same thing earlier this morning...I like knowing more about my hitter than the fact that he has a contact of 6 and power of 7. Strat cards give you more information. The decision making is more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies, folks! Lots of helpful info in this thread. And I'm fired up to play more SoM now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.