BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Southeast

Subject: game store in douglasville ga rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Murphy
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Does anyone know if there are any game stores in Douglasville Georgia? Moving there this week. Even a small store would be great. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not aware of any in the Douglasville area. Probably the closest I know of would be Titan's Games & Comics in Smyrna, though to my knowledge they primarily carry comics and RPGs. A bit further up 75 is Dr. No's in Marietta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brown
United States
University
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best bet is to cruise over to Marietta. Dr. No's on Canton has a great selection, though they are pricey (10% markup from retail on a good number of games). I prefer a little shop called the Raven's Nest-goofy name, solid selection and lower prices.

Also, Newnan has a shop called Heroes. Light selection, but the owner is very friendly and runs some good periodic specials. We got some good stuff for xmas from him this year due to a 25% markdown.

Best of luck (do you have a gaming group yet...?)

:)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Murphy
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Thanks. I do nothave a gaming group but I would love to find one for d&d or pathfinder or whatever. Smyrna seems like the best bet so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Hobbytown USA in Kennesaw, they're on Barrett Parkway. They've got a decent selection of gaming stuff in there, head to the left side of the store to find the gaming department.

There's also Gigabites Cafe in Marietta, which has a lot of minis games and some RPGs, I think those are mainly on Saturdays.

Raven's Nest has a selection of boardgames and LOTS of Magic. The boardgamers tend to meet on Tuesdays, and we also play the Call of Cthulhu LCG. However, there's a new place called Secrets Factory further south with probably the best boardgame group in the area and we're starting to alternate locations. I haven't been to Secrets myself yet but will be going this Saturday and possibly next Tuesday. Raven's does have lower than retail prices which is nice.

Warning about Dr. No's, I haven't been there for quite a while but they used to try to charge you to play games there if it wasn't part of a store-run event. And that's why I haven't been there for a long time

Also, not sure if you'll be here yet but this weekend is Atlanta Game Fest, which is a 4-day local boardgame con.

Can you tell us a little more about what kinds of gaming you're interested in? Might help narrow things down better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brown
United States
University
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Check out Hobbytown USA in Kennesaw, they're on Barrett Parkway. They've got a decent selection of gaming stuff in there, head to the left side of the store to find the gaming department.

There's also Gigabites Cafe in Marietta, which has a lot of minis games and some RPGs, I think those are mainly on Saturdays.

Raven's Nest has a selection of boardgames and LOTS of Magic. The boardgamers tend to meet on Tuesdays, and we also play the Call of Cthulhu LCG. However, there's a new place called Secrets Factory further south with probably the best boardgame group in the area and we're starting to alternate locations. I haven't been to Secrets myself yet but will be going this Saturday and possibly next Tuesday. Raven's does have lower than retail prices which is nice.

Warning about Dr. No's, I haven't been there for quite a while but they used to try to charge you to play games there if it wasn't part of a store-run event. And that's why I haven't been there for a long time :)

Also, not sure if you'll be here yet but this weekend is Atlanta Game Fest, which is a 4-day local boardgame con.

Can you tell us a little more about what kinds of gaming you're interested in? Might help narrow things down better.

Didn't know about Hobbytown. Will have to check that out next time I am in the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Murphy
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I have been to doctor No's before. I would love to.find some d&d or pathfinder, board games are great. Settlers of Catan, Arkham horror and smallworld come to mind. Casual magic is nice too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Gigabites group may be doing D&D, I've never really poked my head in to find out what RPG system they were actually using though. You'd have to check.

Both Gigabites and Hobbytown run Magic events, but I don't know if they do a weekly thing, again you'd have to check on that.

I do know that Raven's Nest does have regular Magic, I think there are people in there several nights a week for it.

I'm only just getting back into boardgames so my group research is incomplete but so far I think the Secrets Factory is the biggest group nearby. It's unclear at this time if those of us who've been showing up at Raven's Nest will merge into that group or not. One of the guys (Lee) has run Arkham Horror games from time to time. Don't know about Small World, although I have the earlier version Vinci. I'm not sure Settlers still shows up, it's been superceded by so many better games by now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Murphy
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Looks like the one in Smyrna will be closest, which is ok. I can drive a bit. More important than a store is just getting to know some people, I don't know many people in the area. I'll have to find a gaming group. Thanks, these stores will be worth checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Finn
United States
flag msg tools
If you get a chance, come up to visit us at Giga-Bites. We have a large gaming group and are open 7 days a week for regular minis, magic and board games. You can also visit our we Kate and introduce yourself and organize games - www.gigabitescafe.com/forum.

Hope to see you soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Starr
msg tools
mb
For RPGs, check out these two meetup groups:
http://www.meetup.com/Atlanta-Dungeons-and-Dragons/ ( mainly at Gigabytes )
http://www.meetup.com/savingthrow/ ( in Midtown )

There is also a one day game day on Jan 28th that is all RPGs. They have 4e, Pathfinder, Dresden Files ...:
http://warhorn.net/narpga-game-day/schedule/day.php

I believe they have some RPG games going on at Secrets Factory also.

There are numerous Board Game meetups in Atlanta. They meet several nights a week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
my group research is incomplete but so far I think the Secrets Factory is the biggest group nearby.

I have several friends who swear by Secrets Factory in Smyrna. I just live on the other side of town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter-Michiel Geuze
United States
Hiram
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure what you are looking for in a game shop. If it is for board games or people to play with, try looking up CLS Games/Rob Solow on BGG. He sells a large collection of games and can turn you on to a number of game groups to play with. If you are looking for an RPG/Miniatures groups the list already includes a number of great groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Murphy
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Sorry which list is this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.