Strike of the Eagle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Recon orders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
What is the rationale for requiring every phase to include at least one recon order? I understand the deception element, but generally it seems a bit useless for the first few phases after set-up (especially if there hasn't been much movement).

My son and I tried dispensing with this order (i.e. issue a recon order only if you want to) and it seemed to be a bit more satisfying ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Prieto
Spain
Viladecans
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mandatory recon orders grant uncertainty since the opponent must think about the position of the bluff; moreover, having only one order to choose and not two (as you played) means that shortage of orders is more stressing and playing cards for orders is more necessary. In addition, playing a card for reinforcements for example means that you´ll be playing just 1 order of your choice, so decision taking is more severe and has high costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fjordi wrote:
Mandatory recon orders grant uncertainty since the opponent must think about the position of the bluff; moreover, having only one order to choose and not two (as you played) means that shortage of orders is more stressing and playing cards for orders is more necessary. In addition, playing a card for reinforcements for example means that you´ll be playing just 1 order of your choice, so decision taking is more severe and has high costs.

What he said. Much of the tension in the game comes from these agonizing choices. There's nothing like playing no card for orders, then watching your opponent flip for 4 extra orders. This leads to much sweating and biting of nails as you wait for the hammer blow to fall. Ditching mandatory recon orders makes it far easier to make the choice to hold the card, which is not, IMO, the intent of the design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that you get a mandatory recon order for the purposes of recon... it's that you get a free order that you use to confuse the enemy as to your true intentions. If you place the inverted recon in such a way as to suggest it is an attack order, your opponent might be fooled into wasting time preparing his defenses in the wrong sector of the line.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way rule 7.11 is written even doesn't make clear the mandatory recon order each phase per se but just to mention it in the example that follows. Otherwise, I would have thought the recon order is only required when the player decides not to play the card to increase operation points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DGonnerman wrote:
What is the rationale for requiring every phase to include at least one recon order?

Besides the game mechanic of pinching your Orders (ramping up the tension factor) and the bluff factor, there probably is a historical justification that ties in as well (post-WW1 era conflict where intel was at a premium).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Messages received -- thanks, everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.