Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering what kind of board game related geekslang any of you have come across OR you can take this chance to share a geekslang term you have created yourself. Please Include the word(s) or phrase and a brief description for each item.

Examples:

A Boardkiller: A player who always seems to break or loose a piece of your game or table...(damn it Gary)

A ChronoNOT: A player who takes WAY too long to finish their turn. (So much so that you want to stop playing).

Uber Board-Blitzing: Playing multiple games within a very short time frame.

Turning Tricks: When you play a trump game with tricks (its bad I know)

Meep Peeps: Fellow boardgamers or boardgame group.

Others? Please Share

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
King maker- someone who deliberatly helps another to win a game when they cannot

King Slayer- someone who deliberatly stops another winning the game because they cannot win

monkey- repeatedly doing something for the good of the group i.e. executive order monkey- continually playing executive order from the brig in Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

Cylon- performing any traitorous action

Munchkin- Power Gamer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eigen
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We have a CardBender and a GreasyHands, although these are fairly self explanatory.

And VERY annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Doing a Brendan" - after the name of a gamer in our group who occasionally points out a good move to another player, usually to his own detriment, then slaps himself for opening his mouth

"Monkey see, monkey do" - uttered when someone exactly copies your move/strategy in a game

Oooh - thought of another one :

"lose cannon" - a player who's guaranteed to make at least one wild and/or crazy illogical move during a game. When you play BSG or Saboteur or such with him disregard the very first weird move he makes, he's not the traitor, he's just a lose cannon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
"A Stanley" = taking two bricks from a tile in Settler of Catan (Stanley Two-brick).

More as I remember them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Show us yer Moat!" - used to announce the playing of any Attack card in Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
exparrot wrote:

This is in use in our gaming group, whether were playing BSG, Resistance, Panic Station or any other game with hidden teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
exparrot wrote:

This is in use in our gaming group, whether were playing BSG, Resistance, Panic Station or any other game with hidden teams.

On that note...

Classic Cylon Move - Used to describe any move or action by another player in any game (with or without traitors) where the logic behind the move is not immediately apparent to the speaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
badge
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mbmbmbmbmb
Beste vakje ooit! = Best action ever!
In a euro game, when in doubt, pick the action you can't go wrong with and state "beste vakje ooit!"

Quarterbacking - telling people what to do in a co-op
Ragequitting - Quitting the game after you get backstabbed in A Game of Thrones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
in one of our groups we have the 'Shannon' - someone who tries to stop someone else winning rather than trying to win themselves. (differs to the king killer as they are not in a losing position before doing it)

named after Jack Shannon, the guy that does it regularly (but only ever to one person in particular).

there is also 'pissy' - someone who when gaming round your house seems unable to get it all in the toilet..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Reconnaissance by Fire: taking an action "to see what will happen" rather than to achieve an specific result. Introducing chaos in complex games simply to observe the effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timmy - Someone who will go for the big & expensive thing, even if it's not any good (MtG origin)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
DeePee wrote:
exparrot wrote:

Lol

we use it in all games, especially games with battles i.e. twilight imperium, when a player breaks an alliance / makes an unprovoked attack etc or when you buy a card in thunderstone etc that your opponent wanted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
"Show us yer Moat!" - used to announce the playing of any Attack card in Dominion.

Actually with the release of new Dominion expansions, more cards besides the moat can be used to defend against an attack card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
going bibbley- when someone makes a crazy move .... comes from arkham horror losing all your sanity

nerfing- specifically playing to end a game prematurely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Military Muskrat wrote:
Fwing wrote:

Actually with the release of new Dominion expansions, more cards besides the moat can be used to defend against an attack card.

By the time those expansions came out the saying was already established
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainChaos - playing like a "sabtoeur" in traitor type games when you aren't one.

Doing a Bruce - this has a couple of connotations in our group, but it sticks with me for one - punching someone else's game without asking them first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stamp collecting: buying one and only one (thus liability-free) share of all the other players' companies in the 18xx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teams/alliance/agreements aren't really necessary for me to call someone a Cylon. I'll do that anytime....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Righty - The name of a player who is weak and so best to keep on your right when playing the likes of Puerto Rico. What's nice is when everyone uses this as the player's nickname and they have no idea why.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Righty - The name of a player who is weak and so best to keep on your right when playing the likes of Puerto Rico. What's nice is when everyone uses this as the player's nickname and they have no idea why.

whistle

Meanies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Playing a "Rick James": Someone who celebrates a little too much after winning a game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eigen
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A lot of these seem to be named after people in the game group - I enjoyed yours, so I'll add mine!

"The Gordon Rule": Voting down the first mission in the Resistance purely because you aren't on it.

"Doing a Jake": Essentially our way of saying analysis paralysis - Jake's moves often take half the game, even with 4 or 5 players...

and now something completely different:

"It's not a wargame!": Cry that is heard when someone tries to play 'aggressively' in a non-confrontational game.
Eg. Deliberately making someone ram you in Formula De so they blow up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster Town - specific to Elder Sign. It's the high difficulty / high failure penalty location where all the monsters that don't have to be placed on another card go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Black Death - particularly in card games, a spectator who invariably grants bad luck to whichever player he/she is observing. This was frequently me during my University days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.