Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmb
I received a lasershot by a robot with the Fire Extinguisher option.

The owner choose not to do any damage, but locked one of my Registers instead. He choose my third Register.

Now how do I indicate that? I did not have any damage. So I cannot put a yellow damage token on the "LOCK" spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, you can--and should--use a damage token to mark that register. When Fire Control is used to lock a register, think of that as targeted damage. You'll unlock that register by healing that point of damage just as you would heal from damage in general (powering down or wrenches).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith W
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just put the damage marker on the card itself, to remind you that it stays there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmb
ellephai wrote:
Actually, you can--and should--use a damage token to mark that register. When Fire Control is used to lock a register, think of that as targeted damage. You'll unlock that register by healing that point of damage just as you would heal from damage in general (powering down or wrenches).

But the Fire Control card states "you don't do damage. Instead Lock a Register."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmb
Nuurgle wrote:
You could just put the damage marker on the card itself, to remind you that it stays there.

that's what i did, but i don't like the solution. it feels "artificial"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the first and second print, you use a "RoboRally"-token (small grey face of a robot) as indicator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tocoking wrote:
I received a lasershot by a robot with the Fire Extinguisher option.

Fire CONTROL :)
For reference, the card says "Whenever your robot hits another robot with its main laser, instead of doing damage you may choose one of the target robot's registers and lock it or choose one of that player's Options and destroy it. (The player can't discard an Option to avoid this effect.)"
tocoking wrote:

The owner choose not to do any damage, but locked one of my Registers instead. He choose my third Register.

Now how do I indicate that? I did not have any damage. So I cannot put a yellow damage token on the "LOCK" spot.

Put it on the card itself, so as to not confuse it with normal damage taken. That solution at least seemed very obvious to us. (or use any other token if you're afraid of getting it confused with normal damage; another robot figure not in use, a checkpoint marker, turn the card sideways, whatever works for you!)

ellephai wrote:

But you are NOT damaged, i.e. you don't recieve one less card, right? And this could quickly get confusing if you already had other cards damaged and locked. Say I get my 3rd card locked, and I'm already at 4 damage. During the next turn I take another 2 damage, locking my 4th and 5th card. If I had placed a damage token "normally" when my 3rd card got locked by Fire Control, it now looks like I have 7 damage, when I actually only have 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
In the first and second print, you use a "RoboRally"-token (small grey face of a robot) as indicator.

In the newer edition, you get many extra life tokens and you could put one of those on the card or near the damage spot. I think we usually put a token on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time that Option has been used in games I've been playing, someone inevitably asks the question "How do I unlock the register?"

It isn't damaged, so there's no damage to remove to unlock it. I've always had to answer "Well, the rules don't say anything about unlocking it."

Poorly written/thought-out card, in my opinion. To me, indicating that the register is locked isn't a toughie, and you've got lots of suggestions here about that. But if you can point me to an explanation of when/if you can get that thing unlocked...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kevinwho wrote:
Poorly written/thought-out card, in my opinion. To me, indicating that the register is locked isn't a toughie, and you've got lots of suggestions here about that. But if you can point me to an explanation of when/if you can get that thing unlocked...

Quote:
Q: When a robot locks a register with Fire Control, how do you unlock that register? Do you have to power down to unlock the register or can you repair it like a point of damage on a repair site?
A: Treat the Fire Control damage as regular damage; you can choose to unlock one register for each point of damage you remove at a wrench site. If you power down, it of course will unlock all registers.
Source: http://roborally.wikidot.com/faq (with original source attribution to WotC)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinwho wrote:
Poorly written/thought-out card, in my opinion.

Exactly. Hasbrolon Hill did that a lot with the games they acquired.

I advise that you treat Fire Control as it was in the original edition. Reword the card like this:

"Whenever your robot hits another robot with its main laser, instead of doing damage normally you may choose one of the target robot's registers and lock it with the damage you do or choose one of that player's Options and destroy it. (The player can't discard an Option to avoid this effect.)"

A robot has ten "hit points", and you can think of them like this:

EC EC EC EC R5 R4 R3 R2 R1 DS

EC = Extra Card
Rx = Register x
DS = Destroyed

Normally, when you do damage to a robot, the damage is applied to the first hit point that isn't yet damaged. Fire Control lets you choose which of the first nine hit points to damage, instead of just the first one available (obviously, the first four are all the same).

And while we're on the subject, robots don't get "healed", they get repaired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmb
Aha! Thanks, I'm going to use this approach now. Apply damage anyway, but choose which slot. Sounds better. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never treated it otherwise. With Fire Control, you do a damage like normal, you just choose where it lands.

(On a different note, I usually ban Fire Control from the game. When playing with Armed and Dangerous, it's much too powerful, as it can blow any robot carrying anything explosive to pieces. Either ban it, or simply say that it can't destroy options.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmb
So this Fire Control card creates quite some discussion...

Isn't that typical for richard Garfield games: "banning cards" ...

Magic: The Gathering whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
In games where different stuff interact, it's not unusual that some new concept causes the old stuff to need revision. Also, RR is such a game where you tweak and such anyways, as long as you feel the game gets more exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd say the mechanical arm is more aggravating in a ban this sort of way than Fire Control, which is generally hilarious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I ban all the cards. The game doesn't need them. All you need is one board, eight bots and eight flags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
I ban all the cards. The game doesn't need them. All you need is one board, eight bots and eight flags.
.. and then what? Just stand around, firing lasers into nothing each turn, looking at each other while the board elements activate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
KenToad wrote:
Yeah, I'd say the mechanical arm is more aggravating in a ban this sort of way than Fire Control, which is generally hilarious.

The three killer options:
Fire Control - destroy a bot in one shot if he's carrying an explosive option.
Mechanical Arm - Specifically the Hasbrolon Hill revision to it, an automatic game winner - Sleepwalk to victory!*
RoboCopter - Really powerful, but not an auto-win

The three useless options:
Superior Archive Copy - Specifically the nerfed Hasbrolon Hill revision.**
Homing Device - So dangerous and unpredictable to use, I've never seen anyone even try.
Conditional - OK, this is a bit of an exaggeration. It can be useful sometimes, but usually isn't.

*The original version is OK, but still very powerful.
**The original version is just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
.. and then what? Just stand around, firing lasers into nothing each turn, looking at each other while the board elements activate?

Run back and forth across the board from flag to flag, bumping other robots, and causing their cleverly crafted programs to lead them into oblivion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Barticus88 wrote:
Gawain wrote:

Run back and forth across the board from flag to flag, bumping other robots, and causing their cleverly crafted programs to lead them into oblivion.

I think there was a little joke in there about the lack of differentiation in your post between program and option cards. Without the program cards, there isn't much of a game to be had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Gawain wrote:

*whoosh*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Moore
South Africa
Grahamstown
Eastern Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tocoking wrote:
Aha! Thanks, I'm going to use this approach now. Apply damage anyway, but choose which slot. Sounds better. thumbsup

For what it is worth, this is exactly how the card is used in the original WOTC version(s).

From the WOTC FAQ (copy is in the files section, last page):

Quote:
Q: When a robot locks a register with Fire Control, how do you unlock that register? Do you have to power down to unlock the register or can you repair it like a point of damage on a repair site?
A: Treat the Fire Control damage as regular damage; you can choose to unlock one register for each point of damage you remove at a wrench site. If you power down, it of course will unlock all registers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.