Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb McClune
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Gamers,
My name is Robb, I work at a group home for boys in Edinboro, PA. We help boys on their path to becoming men that come from troubled pasts. We are a non-profit and rely heavily on donations. I am huge game player with my family and have used this borads for years to decide what games to purchuse for my children and myself. I know I am not a big poster but trust me you guys have been wonderful for advise.
My unit is in need of board games for our client as when I went through them I found most had a great majority of the pieces missing, Before I could try and get peices possibly donated by the companies that produced the games, My supervisor took my information to mean they were no good and throw them out.
A little background of the type of clients I work with, They are normally Lower fuctioning in some regard. Some have MR with IQs in the 60's others have social problems or mental issuse they are learning to deal with. We are a specialized Unit on campus. We recieve the same limited buget as other units but with the type of clients we have we often have to do alot more replacement of everyday items do to damage from abuse during anger outbusts. This has severly limited our ability to replace items.
If you have a way to help with appropriate games for this type client you would be god sent. We need nothing new or in great condition just playable.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this,
Robb
Hermitage House Unit 1
Provide Link for more information about us
http://www.hermitagehouse.org/index.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Which games got thrown out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb McClune
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thrown out was our Risk, Mouse Trap,Sequence, Taboo, Operation, (the Following I had Donated and they seemed to have disappeared before a certain staff was gotten rid of) Munchkin, Apples to Apples to go, And old edition of Settlers with 6 player (Not all the clients really grasped this game well), before I need to upgrade to get the current stuff to fill out my wants of everything LOL

We still have Clue, Monopoly, Sorry, Battleship Life and Yahtzee. May sound like a lot but these Guys spend most of their days on-grounds and only leave for special reasons. They do get outside but winters are harsh in this part of PA ( with the exception of this year)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb McClune
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also like to note that if there was any old game that you were willing to lets us have but it was not on the list, If it was easy to learn they would love it. They love games, I try to get them playing everything trying to show them all the cool things that are out there. I have brought in Gamesform my collection(not up to date on here) just to expand the idea of what is out there. Showing them alteratives to Video games so they socialize more. Plus they are strongly limited to how much time they can play video games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to work at a group home for older MRDD men, and we did have some games there... though that particular group never would've really been appropriate to spring a lot of the 'gamer' games on (many of our clients were mostly-illiterate but could handle small numbers), the games that seemed to work the best and that saw the most play were of the tile-matching sort: Dominoes, Tri-ominoes, and... well, actually, Carcassonne worked quite well as long as someone was on hand to help with scoring and... I can't remember exactly how we dealt with the confusing farmers rule, but I think we ended up just not using farmers at all after the first time.

Of course, like I said, there's also that this group was older (50+) aged, so there was a little bit of pushback against things that weren't the 'traditional' games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can use this version of Risk...

...zap me a GeekMail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb McClune
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That Risk looks great for their needs, I honestly have never played dominion. Some of the clients play Magic, from some old donated cards by myself and other ex players. And they handle it rather well. We do limit some of the real old older rule cards (phasing etc). They play most games with a staff playing also. Some of our clients have anger issuses and need alittle support during activities like games where they could get upset over loosing. Other clients are rather intellegent just have social problems similar to PTSD or RAD. These clients have been capable of being very good chess players. So honestly most or any not super complicated games would be great. Though if it is a game you have to play many times to completely understand then they will lose intrest. After all they are teenagers,
Thanks so much Robb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestions:
* Thrift shops
* PnP Games
* Contacting game stores and game companies for donations.

I would also recommend contacting a local boardgame Meetup group for either donations or to run an annual fundraising event. The Geek Club of San Jose, CA, does exactly this to raise money for water wells in Africa. You can also start a boardgame Meetup group where the "dues" are donations of boardgames by members.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.