Subject: Pikes and quarrels rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game:
Wardens of the West is an expansion set for the Battles of Westeros core game. It adds new units and commanders to the lannister side, comes up with three additional scenarios, new gambit cards and some extra terrain.

Flavor:
If you like the books of ice and fire, this is a must. The new commanders are Tyrion Lannister (who does not like him?), Sandor Clegane (outstanding charakter as well) and Dawen Lannister. Clegane Crossbowmen, Brax Pikemen and some Westerlands Militia join the battle, which definitely increases diversity and flavor.

Equipment:
The figures have to be glued to the bases, but we are used to this from the core game. Some are a little bent, but they are of the same good overall-quality as the base set stuff. The three new commanders come with their own command cards, of course. Additional skirmish cards are provided to integrate the new troops. New terrain and markers complete our new set of game material.

Rules:
Some new traits and keywords are introduced, theese are easily understood and add to the flavor, balance and variety of the new troops. Catapults find their way to the battlefield. A new optional rule to handle momentum is proposed, gamble cards give new tactical choices to players.
Not much learning is required, a quick read-through of the thin rulesbook is enough and one can step right into the sessions.

Gameplay:
I have not used the optional momentum rule so far. To me, it seems a little weird, and not needed for the scenarios. It might work better with skirmishes, where additional tactical choices have a greater effect and could not break game balance as easy.
The scenarios are interesting and fun to play. New units and commanders are introduced one by one. The rules are not too complicated, so i see no need for this and would have liked to play Tyrion, Sandor and my Militia in more than one scenario each.

Balance:
Also only Lannister side gets some reinforcements, both the units and scenarios are well balanced. Playing through the scenarios, we had one victory for Lannister and two for Stark, with all three games exciting till the end. The new units are neither strictly better nor worse than other types, just different.

Conclusion:
If you like to play scenarios, buy this, it has three cool new ones! If you like to skirmish, buy this, more terrain and units and commanders! if you like the books, buy this, Tyrion and the Hound!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit late to thank you... but thanks!

This looks like a more interesting expansion than the Wardens of the North. Maybe that's why it's much harder to find than WotN. It's sold out in several online webshops in my country while there is not shortage of WotN or the base game or House Baratheon. Hmmm... I'll keep looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.