Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about building a boardgame related website
but I'm wondering if there is interest for it

I've got 2 ideas:

boardgamevideos
A website where you can see all the videos posted by people like dicetower, drakkenstrike, ..
you will be able to search for a video
when you register, you will be able to bookmark videos
later I might build a iphone/ipad app for it

boardgameshops
A website where you can see addresses of shops in all places of the world
could be handy if you're going on a trip, and are wondering if there is a gaming shop nearby
shops can add there details to the website
for this site to work - I off course need a lot of shops to put their data on the website
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Aubert
France
TOULON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would pick your second option first as there are already many sites dealing with videos as BGG or Tric Trac
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not sure we need the first option, beside are you sure everybody will be fine by you linking their videos to your site?

If you'll pick the second option, I could already contribute... I don't shop online, but I travel abroad quite often - this year I've been to FLGSs in Prague (2), Leuven (2), Amsterdam (2.5), Bratislava (1), Madrid (1), Warsaw (all closed down...) last year to Berlin (2), Munich (all they have), Hamburg (2), etc.
Thinks to take notice of:
A. User generated content is a must - because when owners start posting and advertising the content might become irrelevant. So be careful how you tread. Maybe I would give comments on FLGSs in 3 categories: visitors (most important), locals, owners/employees. DO NOT APPROACH STORES TO FILL IN THEIR DATA - it takes forever, it doesn't get updated, etc. etc. The most important data comes from people who have seen other FLGSs as well and can give a fair assessment on how good their stock is, how friendly the staff is and overall feel of the place.
B. this kind of site should be simple to compile, I mean FLGSs are few and far between and mostly in bigger cities. You should also note non FLGS stores where you can also buy games (germany is a special case here with a lot of games in department stores, in other areas there are bookstores and comicbook stores worthy of interest as well)
C. Basl has a tread on FLGS stores BTW. (Linking all the other threads).

What I'd love to see is a cite to compile good reviews, but that takes editorial work which means getting paid by someone. (user generated approach is allread here on BGG)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I use BGG.

Why not just improve the standards here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Van den Broeck
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
If you'll pick the second option, I could already contribute... I don't shop online, but I travel abroad quite often - this year I've been to FLGSs in Prague (2), Leuven (2), Amsterdam (2.5), Bratislava (1), Madrid (1), Warsaw (all closed down...) last year to Berlin (2), Munich (all they have), Hamburg (2), etc.
Thinks to take notice of:
A. User generated content is a must - because when owners start posting and advertising the content might become irrelevant. So be careful how you tread. Maybe I would give comments on FLGSs in 3 categories: visitors (most important), locals, owners/employees. DO NOT APPROACH STORES TO FILL IN THEIR DATA - it takes forever, it doesn't get updated, etc. etc. The most important data comes from people who have seen other FLGSs as well and can give a fair assessment on how good their stock is, how friendly the staff is and overall feel of the place.
B. this kind of site should be simple to compile, I mean FLGSs are few and far between and mostly in bigger cities. You should also note non FLGS stores where you can also buy games (germany is a special case here with a lot of games in department stores, in other areas there are bookstores and comicbook stores worthy of interest as well)
C. Basl has a tread on FLGS stores BTW. (Linking all the other threads).

Some interesting ideas !
I'm going to think them over a bit

could be enhanced in the future with a mobile app, showing the nearest FLGS based on your current location

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coscio
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out www.comicshoplocator.com for some ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos D.
Germany
Garching bei München
flag msg tools
vandeti wrote:
boardgameshops
A website where you can see addresses of shops in all places of the world
could be handy if you're going on a trip, and are wondering if there is a gaming shop nearby
shops can add there details to the website
for this site to work - I off course need a lot of shops to put their data on the website

I think there is interest for such a site. Actually if you take a look at this thread, there used to be one called gamestoredb. There is also the google map list which is still being updated from time to time, but I don't know how useful it is if you are looking for a shop in a specific area or if you don't want to look for places in the middle of the ocean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.