Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » England

Subject: LIVERPOOL ONE DAY GAMING EVENT - SUNDAY 26TH FEBURARY 2012 - AT THE SCYTHE AND TEACUP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ste James
United Kingdom
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

the Liverpool Lions in celebrating their 5th birthday are holding a ONE DAY Gaming Event near Liverpool City Centre on Sunday 26th February 11am-11pm.

The event will be held at the Sythe and Teacup (a new dedicated gaming cafe in Liverpool) the website for the venue is here http://scytheandteacup.co.uk/

The games cafe offers free entry. Food and Drink is available at the cafe at very reasonable prices so please do not bring any food or drink of your own.

The games cafe is in walking distance of bus routes and of Lime Street Railway Station. The cafe has no dedicated car parking but there is a car park around the corner which provides 150+ spaces - spaces are available for the entire day for £3.

cheers

Ste
Liverpool Lions

-------------------------------------
Expected Attendance

Definites
Ste James
James Cheevers +1
Paul Oakes
Simon Thornton +1
Bill Wicherley
Chris Phennah
Andy Piemont
Nigel Misson +2
Stu Brookes
Stu Pilling & Jen
Mr Parka
Andrew Wadsworth
Sean & Jamie (from Scythe)
Hammy +x (Stockport Gamers)
LieinKing +1 (Andy)

Possibles
Jim & Batjilma
Pete Darby +2
Bolton Gnome 2-3 (inc Chris +3 & Ben Tyrer)
Alex Beaumont
Crawdaddy (Russ)
Keith (LBG)
Matt Atkinson (LBG)
ERGO BGGs 2 Possibles (Cos & Bill)
Mark Campo (Milarky)
Matt Atkinson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Christian will be there too. In fact, it'll probably be a normal Sunday for us at the Scythe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that I should be there for at least part of the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Pilling
United Kingdom
Worsley
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ste, Me and Jen (vinnie3009) will aim to be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Parka
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm going to be aiming to go to this as my first ever board game event. Will be bringing along a friend so I don't end up sitting in the corner talking to myself! blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm going to be aiming to go to this as my first ever board game event. Will be bringing along a friend so I don't end up sitting in the corner talking to myself!

Worry not Mr Parka we are open and welcoming group I expect you ll find plenty of opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wadsworth
United Kingdom
Bolton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste James
United Kingdom
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys

See the link below for publicity information for this weekends event at the Scythe and Teacup - alternatively just visit the Scythe and Teacup website to check location.

cheers
Ste

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wPdDT2Jv-MTeH5PsKm5uF4-nfH2fGhw...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Me (Sean) and Jamie will be there too,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste James
United Kingdom
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys, final preparations are in place and it looks like there will be a high turnout of gamers 30+
Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow.
Ste
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arran Boardman
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy birthday to the Lions! My mate Andy and I will come along to help you celebrate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Brookes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be taking Britannia along if anyone fancies a game. 2 interested so far so another 2 required. See you tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've created a geek list of games played. Feel free to chip in any comments or reflections on the games and the day.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/134921/games-played-at-the...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pymont
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done Ste, Simon, and every one else involved, for organising a great day. I had a great time and most other people I saw there seemed to be enjoying it too. (I even won one of the games I played for a change, although I had to play against 3 new players to do it and it came after the embarrassment of a begging card in Agricola which mostly cancelled it out...)

Hopefully our successful demolition of their entire stock of food will persuade the Scythe and Teacup to allow us to repeat this event in the future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Pilling
United Kingdom
Worsley
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a great day. The venue is similar to fanboy 3 in manchester with respect of the crowd, vibe and style of the place (apart from the fact that fanboy is not a cafe).

The owners didn't expect such demand, and there was problems with the amount of time that it took for food to get to them. They eventually ran out of food and nicely allowed people to bring in take aways for this special occasion.

The food on offer was good value, £2.50 for a bacon and sausage muffin was very reasonable and it was good quality too. You also got a decent sized mug of coffee for your £1. Only instant, but not cheap instant. Some of the other muffins looked really good too.

Would happily make the trip over again and would recommend this to anyone who asks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, really enjoyed it. A good venue and I had lots of fun. Some learning points for next time (there will be a next time won't there?):

- Food: Good prices and suited me but, as Stew says, there was slow service at mealtimes, they ran out late afternoon and the choice was limited for those who don't want fry-up for lunch and tea. All understandable given the difference between us and your average YuGiOh/Pokemon crowd and fairly easy to fix because they will know what to expect from us next time round.

- Venue: Can't fault it for being cheap and cheerful, but you may well get more people next time and there was little room for expansion without displacing the YuGiOh tournament. I can understand why the owners wanted to be sure of having bums on seats this time, but now they know you can get the numbers I hope you do not have to share next time.

- Announcements about not talking whilst the YuGiOh results were being announced. Rather confrontational and probably counter-productive. The results took less time than the announcements about not talking through them...

Anyway, all easy to fix and it was a great time. See you at the Bolton all-dayer on the 25th March.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair to the owners this was originally a 'free' Sunday. Unfortunately as far as i understand it they were compelled to hold the magic tournament as part of some national event. As selling magic card/tournaments is their bread and butter they had little choice. It would have been easier for them to cancel us.

Also the numbers turned out to be greater than expected which in itself made a difference. Still bottom line it's all teething troubles and we will be better prepared next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste James
United Kingdom
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys I really appreciate the constructive critism here - there were problems on the day and I apologise to all. The upside is that the Scythe and Teacup after seeing the turnout want us back for a dedicated BOARDGAMING DAY with no CCGrs and no "little hitlers" shouting for people to be quiet.

Just need to gauge interest now in a session either in 6 months time or 12 months time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jim
United Kingdom
Kendal
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"There are people TALKING through an announcement telling people NOT TO TALK!"

I felt like I was back at school Ste; cheers for dropping me in it. DETENTION!

BTW I'd be interested in coming again; my first 'con' and I enjoyed it very much. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great day, great choice of venue too, wish I was still living in Liverpool. Possible improvements could include a Naughty Corner for people who ignore the No Talking rule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
schkff wrote:
No Talking rule...
Eh? Sounds a bit too eyes-down to me. Isn't gaming supposed to be a social hobby? And didn't it take place in a cafe?

Oh ok, just spotted this:
stejames wrote:
the Scythe and Teacup after seeing the turnout want us back for a dedicated BOARDGAMING DAY with no CCGrs and no "little hitlers" shouting for people to be quiet.
Sheesh. Some people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Pilling
United Kingdom
Worsley
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I reckon 6 months is good. Games days can be more than once a year, look at the bolton all dayer and look how popular that is. There is a lot of gamers in the north west and only need the slightest of excuses to come out and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stejames wrote:
Thanks guys I really appreciate the constructive critism here - there were problems on the day and I apologise to all.
No apology needed (well not to me, I had a great time). There were no more teething troubles than I would expect from any event first time out, just wanted to feed back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
boltongeordie wrote:
the choice was limited for those who don't want fry-up for lunch and tea.

Things have changed since I lived in Liverpool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
boltongeordie wrote:
the choice was limited for those who don't want fry-up for lunch and tea.

Things have changed since I lived in Liverpool.

Not too much. After the fry ups had all ran out, I was still able to buy the solitary salad that had sat untouched in the fridge throughout the entire day, somehow protected from the ravenous attentions of a motley horde of CCG and board gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.