• [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Oh college. I was never that guy but I knew people who were. The worst were the people going for teaching. They were ALWAYS looking for an extra point here and there and would argue with the teacher.

One teacher finally showed one girl I knew how pointless arguing over one point was, because in the end that one point was worth about .004 percentage points in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
I stressed over my grades for the past seven years, no longer. I'm finished taking classes and only have two years of research left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Amy, I can see why you are worried about your grade.

Since you've become a professor your postings to Chit Chat have fallen off. Sure, sure, it happens to everyone. But YouTube postings aren't the way to make up points.

Kid Stories
Recipes.
Anecdotes.

I'm sure you can pick things up this semester. You can do it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bribed a business teacher in college with a six-pack of Coors beer (at the time unavailable in Iowa). I got the A and made the Deans list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I bribed a business teacher in college with a six-pack of Coors beer (at the time unavailable in Iowa). I got the A and made the Deans list.

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

soblue

I was only 3-4 points away from it anyway and was a senior. whistle

I know you couldn't be bribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
One teacher finally showed one girl I knew how pointless arguing over one point was, because in the end that one point was worth about .004 percentage points in the long run.

Indeed, one must realize that being respectably on a professor's good side by the end of the semester can be worth up to 2 percentage points as they decide your final grade at the end of the semester. Its worth letting go of a few opportunities to grub for points along the way to stay in a professor's good graces. Especially in graduate school where everything's made up and the points don't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
God, I'd **HATE** to have that teacher! Too strict for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

Did you make the beer run in a black Trans Am?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meredyth
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I passed my statistics class by becoming friends with the Teacher Assistant (TA).

The professor starts the first day of class; "By the drop date - half of you will have dropped, by the half way mark - I expect to have only 10 in this class, by the end of class - 5 of you will pass."

Luckily, I was friends with two of the pretty girls in class. We knew there was no way to pass this class (cause the professor was a douche) and found out that the TA did all the grading. We used to bring him lunch and hang out with him during his office hours. He turned out to be a really nice guy and we ended up as friends. He always gave us extra credit and extra points on our assignments. He is the only reason we passed. I wonder who the other 2 people in the class were that passed and how they managed it?

Thank goodness for beautiful friends and typical college boys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an acting teacher who accepted ... favors ... for extra credit.

Yeah. Favors. Let's go with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
I only discussed 2 grades with any teachers in college. One teacher refused to help the students AT ALL. He wouldn't even answer the question I asked him about the D I got on my take-home test. I simply asked him to re-explain a concept I had misunderstood (thus, basing all my essay answers on bad information), not change my grade in any way. It happens, and I wanted to learn, not beg for charity.

The other teacher was more like the student. I was taking Western Civ II. The teacher was the department head. He barely taught anything useful in class. He yammied on about the bad traffic on the way to the airport over the weekend, stuff going on on camplus, blah blah blah. One classmate (a friend) and I were the only two students getting an A. The rest of the class were lazy loser types who didn't do the reading or study. I was an English major, so I was weighed down with something like 20 papers and essays that semester.

One day close to the end of the term, the biggest loser in the class started whining about extra credit to keep from failing. It was obvious why he was failing, but no one said anything. After a few minutes of this, the prof assigned us an extra paper!!!!! My friend and I raised our hands at the same time to ask why he was doing this. Then I asked if it he could make it optional for those not having a problem. Nope. I got a B on it because, wait for it, he didn't like my footnote form, which had come straight out of the MLS handbook. I went to see him, and complained bitterly that: A) I shouldn't have had to write it in the first place, since research papers have to be included in the term syllabus; B) my footnote format was solid; and C) because he was the department head, I was getting the shaft because I had nowhere to go to pursue the matter.

Didn't really have to worry. My friend and I both aced the final, blowing the curve for all the lazy students who failed. Years later, I realized he only did it to try and improve his stats as a teacher. All I can say is that it was lucky I knew a lot about the French and Industrial Revolutions before I took the class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludocrazy wrote:
I only discussed 2 grades with any teachers in college. One teacher refused to help the students AT ALL. He wouldn't even answer the question I asked him about the D I got on my take-home test. I simply asked him to re-explain a concept I had misunderstood (thus, basing all my essay answers on bad information), not change my grade in any way. It happens, and I wanted to learn, not beg for charity.

The other teacher was more like the student. I was taking Western Civ II. The teacher was the department head. He barely taught anything useful in class. He yammied on about the bad traffic on the way to the airport over the weekend, stuff going on on camplus, blah blah blah. One classmate (a friend) and I were the only two students getting an A. The rest of the class were lazy loser types who didn't do the reading or study. I was an English major, so I was weighed down with something like 20 papers and essays that semester.

One day close to the end of the term, the biggest loser in the class started whining about extra credit to keep from failing. It was obvious why he was failing, but no one said anything. After a few minutes of this, the prof assigned us an extra paper!!!!! My friend and I raised our hands at the same time to ask why he was doing this. Then I asked if it he could make it optional for those not having a problem. Nope. I got a B on it because, wait for it, he didn't like my footnote form, which had come straight out of the MLS handbook. I went to see him, and complained bitterly that: A) I shouldn't have had to write it in the first place, since research papers have to be included in the term syllabus; B) my footnote format was solid; and C) because he was the department head, I was getting the shaft because I had nowhere to go to pursue the matter.

Didn't really have to worry. My friend and I both aced the final, blowing the curve for all the lazy students who failed. Years later, I realized he only did it to try and improve his stats as a teacher. All I can say is that it was lucky I knew a lot about the French and Industrial Revolutions before I took the class.

I tried to talk to 2 professors about my grades. It was a waste of time. The first one gave me a C on the first test and when I discussed it with him, he insisted that I did not answer or explain stuff that was NOT included in the essay question and that I should have known to go well beyond the content of the question! The second professor gave me two C's on a paper and a final which dropped my A average to a B- for a final grade. When I spoke with her, she defended her position and I did not pursue it. Basically, she wanted regurgitation on exams with no creativity whatsoever yet expected to "see" my voice and interpretation on the research paper. What could I add or know about 12th century wedding practices? I had no input as I was learning about this material and tying it to the literature we were studying. Totally ludicrous and unfair. I took my B- and stewed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Did you get an A?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Did you get an A?

I think he got A's both times he took the class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my biggest beef as a teacher. It's amazing how many students blow off attendance and work, but suddenly in week 14 they're worried about their grade.

Where did the idea that all grades are negotiable come from? As an undergrad, I only approached one prof about a grade: he made an addition error on an exam. As noted already, I can see going to the prof if clarification is needed (not to change the grade, but just to understand the concept). But to flat-out ask for grade changes? No way. (But I still get students asking "Can I have a B?").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gpa is wildly overrated. I had a poor one in undergrad and a great one in grad and neither did me anything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the manatee wrote:
This is my biggest beef as a teacher. It's amazing how many students blow off attendance and work, but suddenly in week 14 they're worried about their grade.

Where did the idea that all grades are negotiable come from? As an undergrad, I only approached one prof about a grade: he made an addition error on an exam. As noted already, I can see going to the prof if clarification is needed (not to change the grade, but just to understand the concept). But to flat-out ask for grade changes? No way. (But I still get students asking "Can I have a B?").

Carry Post-It notes.

B

There you go. Anything else, you'll have to earn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
Gpa is wildly overrated. I had a poor one in undergrad and a great one in grad and neither did me anything

Long term GPA probably doesn't matter. Short term it matters quite a lot. I have to have a minimum 3.0 to stay in my Grad school program. I need at least a 3.75 to maintain maximum funding on one scholarship. I need at least a 3.5 to apply for some other scholarships this spring and to have a good shot at a PhD program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I am well aware of the ratemyteacher site. Today, I don't really care what's posted ... but the first time I say my poor rating, soblue

I assure all that high schoolers are no different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Sisson wrote:
the manatee wrote:

Carry Post-It notes.

B

There you go. Anything else, you'll have to earn.

I like it! (But then, I also give a single Tic-Tac to trick-or-treaters who are in a lame costume).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Screw grades. I quit some stupid MIS program at VPI because the accounting professor included the answer "none of the above" on a multiple choice question, and then, when the "correct" answer was not actually a correct answer, I bitched about it and said something like, "if none of the other answers is technically correct, how can 'none of the above' be incorrect?" to which he replied, "B was the most correct of the non-correct answers." What the???? Screw you, professor, and the MIS program in upon which you rode!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
FWIW, I am well aware of the ratemyteacher site. Today, I don't really care what's posted ... but the first time I say my poor rating, soblue

I assure all that high schoolers are no different.

Rate My Teacher, I'd not heard of. But of course there's a site called that. Rate My Professor, however, I'm quite aware of.

The problem with rating systems on the internet: Only those who a) think something is beyond exceptional and b) especially those who are just completely ticked off will bother to rate something on the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:

Your Rate My Professor Thing wrote:

She doesn't use a lot of powerpoint slides

CAN YOU TEACH ALL MY CLASSES

I don't use any. It's all whiteboard and wild gesticulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.