Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently took delivery of a shipment of several long-awaited games from Essen 2011, including the cute little abstract tile-laying game Mondriaan 2020 from Cwali. (I don't know where the 2020 fits in here, either). With not a long time to spend, and wanting something with quite simple rules, we pulled out the cute compact box and got going.

Rules are a few seconds to explain, scoring possibly a bit longer, but a couple of turns in, it all becomes very clear. The tiles are complete symmetric, but randomly assigned, and there are some tiles which simply aren't as useful for scoring. With an open 10 draw, though, you have every opportunity to box your opponent in and try to make some of their tiles unplayable.

In our first game, we started out with a large central yellow area, happily contributed to by everyone until other colours started. One note was that B, playing the yellow square, didn't lay against this early big yellow concentration and so was forced to take late-game evasive action to ensure that

We started playing the game gently, but it quickly became a race to extract the most possible points from a created long run before finally cutting it off with a new colour and denying the other player further points.

C found playing her red square quite easy (lots of red around the periphery) but ended up with a single unplayable tile due to incaution. Can you spot which one in the picture below?

The final scores of our first-ever game were B (starting played) 73 to C's 65.

Second game was quite a bit more thoughtful. We were both far more mindful of scoring opportunities given away, so none of the other colours were much developed around the central huge yellow scoring area until later. Both of us were keen to get shot of our single-colour squares after the last game.

Blocking off runs was the order of the day, but B managed to pull ahead of C's 5-point starting lead and despite several scoring setbacks eke out a 1-point 85 to 84 victory in this second game. All tiles were played this game, and I'd expect this to commonly happen (as we start to plan placements more) in most future games.

So, what's in this cute little box? 21 23 brightly coloured tiles, a set of super simple rules, and a game which is both interesting and quick to play. I'm really happy I managed to get hold of a copy of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.