Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone places a minion that matches a locations icon for enacting the location ability, is that player required to do the location ability or is it optional?

Are character abilities optional or mandatory? If they are not optional, when a Shadow Agent is placed in a location and there are no opposing minions, would the player have to choose the Shadow Agent itself as the target?

Hopefully this will be the last rules thread from me =]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
If someone places a minion that matches a locations icon for enacting the location ability, is that player required to do the location ability or is it optional?

Yes.

Eeeville wrote:
Are character abilities optional or mandatory?

Mandatory.

Eeeville wrote:
If they are not optional, when a Shadow Agent is placed in a location and there are no opposing minions, would the player have to choose the Shadow Agent itself as the target?

If there are no Minions at the location on either player side, then I believe that the Shadow Agent would need to be removed.

Here are the sentences from the rules that I used to answer your questions:
Hemloch Rules (Player Turns Section) wrote:
When the player plays a Minion on his side of a Location, he performs the Minion's special ability. If a played Minion matches the Activating Icon of the Location it is played on, the player also performs the Location's Special Ability. When this happens, the Minion's Special Ability is always performed before the Location's Special Ability.

Special Abilities are not optional, and are to be completed to the best of the player's ability to do so, circumstances pending.

There is no "may" used in the first sentence above and the last statement sums it up pretty well. Hope this helps!

Edit #1: Bolded rules for emphasis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:

Are character abilities optional or mandatory? If they are not optional, when a Shadow Agent is placed in a location and there are no opposing minions, would the player have to choose the Shadow Agent itself as the target?

Hopefully this will be the last rules thread from me =]

On page 5 of the rulebook it says that Minion and Location Special Abilities are not optional and must be played to the best to the player's ability.

However, in the case of the Shadow Agent I don't think it would target itself. You play the minion, but nothing else happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
As others pointed out, the rulebook specifies:
Hemloch Rulebook (page 5) wrote:
Special Abilities are not optional, and are to be completed to the best of a player's ability to do so, circumstances pending.

So you do have to complete as much of it as you can. But in the case of the Shadow Agent, it doesn't say that it must be an opponent's minion. Shadow Agent says, "Discard 1 Minion of your choice from this location." So yeah, I wouldn't add a Shadow Agent to an empty location, since it would be suicide. You must choose a minion at that location. If your Shadow Agent is the only minion, you must choose him.

The only possible benefit you could get out of such a play would be to play him on The Boneyard, where the location special ability would allow you to draw a potion. However ... I don't think you'd even be able to draw the potion first, since the Minion's special ability is resolved first, which kills the minion before the location's special ability triggers. Maybe you would still draw a Potion though, since you DID play a matching minion there. Either way, there's gotta be a better play available to you than to play a Shadow Agent to an empty location. Even drawing a new card would be a better option!

Interesting question though! It's never come up in my plays of the game. I'd be interested in hearing John's ruling on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bumping the thread and hoping the previous post gets answered

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question!

If you played a Shadow Agent in a location where there are no other minions (on either side), yep, it would kill itself.

However, if you played it in the Boneyard, you would still get the potion for the location's ability, since you did play a minion in the location of the correct Faction.

Hope that clarifies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.