Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hildegunst von Mythenmetz
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

To make it short:
I got alot of games now to play with 3-4 players and even can fill up any evening with 5-8 players but to be honest most of the time I spend with board games is just with my girlfriend. We played alot of games from Dungeon Lords to Backgammon and she likes most sorts of games but the big clue is that she does not like games which are hard to explain and/or take long to play (edit: maybe should say that Dungeon Lords for example is hard to explain AND takes long ^^).

I think our last two games we played most were 7 Wonders and Space Alert since they are quick played once the setting is up. Right now we are playing Quarriors but it seems until we get a hand on the addon in german we wont play it much more now. It would take too long to remember all 2P-Games we have at home so I just ask you guys what you would recommend in first place in this situation. Think of games played under 30 minutes if possible - up to 1 hour (sadly, I wont buy many of the top50 games of board game geek cause of this restriction ._.)

P.S.: if the game is also nice by more than 2 players, it's fine of course But as mentioned: I got a nice set of games already for more than 2 players

Thanks already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Downfall of Pompeii works very well 2-4.
Jaipur for 2

Both are under 30 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aton is a great 2 player, takes about 15-20 minutes to play. Almost no setup time and about 5 minutes to explain (the rules are 2-3 pages long). Nice depth of strategy, language independant, and multiple paths to victory. I think your GF will like it.

Also, my favorite short 2 player game would be Mr. Jack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick 2P games that have hit our table recently

Maori-
20 minutes, 2-5p. Carcassonne with control
Oregon-
30-45 minutes, 2-4p. Worker placement with hidden depth

Both quick, light enough & easy to explain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at the Kosmos two-player series. Lots to choose from!

+1 Jaipur
Utopian Rummy
Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League
Oceania
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
ZÈRTZ
quick to set up, quick to explain (if they have ever played draughts before) and quick to play.

Hamsterrolle
i love this game and it's great with two or more players. very hard to find at the moment but there is meant to be a re-issue soonish.

Thebes
A little longer to explain, but being a queen games game the rulebook is excellently written and makes explaining easy. plays pretty well with 2 players and more. once you have the hang of it you can burn through a two player game in 40mins (or at least we can). I play this with the wife pretty regularly and the kids love the tile drawing aspect of it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconding Aton. Great game.

If abstracts are ok, check www.nestorgames.com.

"Hippos and Crocodiles" and Linkage are both good and easy to learn. (Disclaimer: I'm biased since I designed Linkage, but most people who play it like it)

Many of the games there are cool, but these are the two I've played the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
Also, my favorite short 2 player game would be Mr. Jack.

Mr. Jack Pocket is also very good, and quite portable to boot. You can probably play several games in an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two player games under 30 minutes? That's our specialty, at my house.

Somewhat bulky but my own favorite from this category is Summoner Wars. Slightly less theme-y but similarly combat-oriented is Yomi.

I have a hunch you are looking for something maybe a little more abstract, or not quite as combat-oriented. Hive and Hey, That's My Fish! are both great abstract games for two. I recommend Hive between those two, though I like them both.

From the world of Euros I recommend San Juan, which plays very well with two.

I *love* Race for the Galaxy, but that is too much of a punch in the eye for someone who does not want to play something rules-heavy.

All the games I linked here play great with two and under 30 minutes. I particularly recommend Hive and San Juan for your personal needs.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

If you guys like Quarriors, I'd suggest King of Tokyo, which I thought was a lot of fun and low-impact... the kind of game that you can pick up and put down, or play in situations that you might find yourself occasionally distracted.

Easy to learn, fast set up, and mostly quick to play (though I haven't seen it played with only 2 people).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive
Lost Cities
Kahuna
Odin's Ravens
Balloon Cup
Caesar & Cleopatra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age is a real hit with me and my significant other. Not too complicated, lightly tactical and fun, and done in 20 minutes or so. There's a free expansion too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Wilson

Almonte
Ontario
msg tools
Battle Line
Lords of Scotland
Biblios

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
bayLor wrote:
...she does not like games which are hard to explain and/or take long to play...

Here's a few you should check out that my wife and I are playing. She too likes shorter and easy to explain games. She has to be in the mood for the longer/more complex games and that mood doesn't show up near enough for me! But I'm not complaining. She more often than not is up for a two player game even during the week after work!

Dominion - We think this game is great with 2 players. And once you get familiar with the cards, it's quick. We have all of the expansions and aren't even close to playing all of the cards yet. We tend to play with familiar cards and add one or two new cards each game. (We're methodically working through our collection of Dominion cards!)

Thunderstone: Dragonspire - And because she likes Dominion so much, it doesn't surprise me that she test-drove this one at BGG.CON this year and loved it. I think it's the theme of this deck builder that drew her in.

Innovation - One of the newest additions to our collection since BGG.CON. We like the mechanics and the theme. I think it plays well with 2-4 players, although I think it gets a little too long with 4.

Times Square - Kind of chess-like, but shorter. The rules can sound confusing at first, but honestly once you understand how the 6 characters move the game flys. We usually end up playing it half a dozen times in a sitting. Plus it's cheap! It's under $10 on Amazon right now, but I caught it several months ago under $5.

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age - It might be the handsome wood components of this game (the cribbage-like player boards and the cool wooden dice), but this game makes it to the table more often than I thought it would when I bought it. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game, but we really like the components!

Lost Cities - Our first 2-player only game and we still pull it out and play it regularly. Once again, we'll play several times in a sitting.

Battle Line - Finally picked this one up after several recommendations. Getting a little more play than Lost Cities, probably because it's newer.

Jambo - Just picked this one up about a week ago. Only have a game or 2 played. Don't have an opinion yet.

Hope you find something in my words that helps. Good luck and Happy New Year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
"Short 2P with simple rules" = abstracts. My wife and I particularly like Hey, That's My Fish! and Blokus Duo, but there are so many that are good.

If abstracts aren't your thing, some other shorter 2-players that we enjoy are:
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation The special abilities can be a little much at first, but it's not really too complicated (not sure quite how simple of rules you need). Plays in ~30 minutes as long as you don't get bogged down worrying about whether or not your guess is right.
In the Year of the Dragon Most people play this with more players, but we really like it with 2. It takes us 30-45 minutes, and packs a good amount of strategy into that time. Again the rules aren't super simple (and a little bit hard to sum up), but not too bad.
Vikings Nice little eurogame with both basic and advanced rules. Perhaps a little bland, but satisfying. Takes us around an hour to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
Several good recommendations here. You may also want to check out Dragonheart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your looking for two player co-ops you could try,

Lord of the Rings LCG

Sentinels of the Multiverse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aether Captains: Triad
Balloon Cup
Carnival
Creature Clash! Card Game
Fzzzt!
Hemloch
Kamakura
Pecking Order
The Boss
Triumvirate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hildegunst von Mythenmetz
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much so far!

There are some great recommendations already and I suddenly feel like we should bring Dominion on the table again soon My GF preferred Quarriors over Dominion because you dont have to shuffle so much
Btw King of Tokyo is told not to be so good with only 2 players so I better try some of the other games. Having an eye on Aton and Summoner Wars right now but actually I didn't nearly check all the games mentioned yet.

Thanks again, maybe I manage to sum up all the games in the first post so you don't have to review the full posts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.