Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the thread for discussing the January 2012 European Maths Trade

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/99329/january-2012-eur...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hélio Andrade
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, can you add the Trade to OLWLG so we can add items from there?
Thanks once again for your precious work with the MTs and happy new year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy New Year, everybody!

Once again I'd like to remind people that EU is NOT the same as Europe. So if you mean "free shipping to Europe", then please write that. Don't write "free shipping within EU" unless you specifically only offer free shipping within the European Union. You being lazy = less chance of your game getting traded.

EDIT: Just to clarify, what I mean by this is that since I'm in Norway (which is NOT a part of the EU), all those entries with "free shipping to EU" will just be skipped by me (and most likely anyone else not a part of EU, unless it's a reeeaaally interesting item). And there are a LOT of you. I can't keep asking everyone "how about shipping to Norway" every single time, as that would most likely quickly take up half the list. Most of the time, the answer is "free to Norway as well, I'm just lazy and write EU, but I really mean Europe" or something to that extent. You might not be aware, but only 62% of the European countries are actually a part of the EU, so you are eliminating quite a few people. So what it basically comes down to is if you think dropping 4 letters is worth alienating all those possible trades.

Good luck to everyone, and thanks again to Chris for setting it up. Been looking forward to it :)

helioa wrote:

Chris isn't the one who does that, he only requests it from Jeff (who runs the OLWLG). It happens when it happens, i.e. when Jeff has the time to do it :)

EDIT: It's up now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
For someone shipping from the UK, what's the difference between shipping to the EU vs Europe, costs-wise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goat Goatington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Depends mostly on the service. For royal mail airmail, 'Europe' is defined as http://www.royalmail.com/delivery/delivery-options-internati... and has the same price throughout. Anything else is outside Europe.

Edit: let's get that right. http://www.royalmail.com/delivery/mail-advice/customs-inform... has all the customs information, but ultimately, non EU means more form fun.

Parcelforce divide on zones, which are:
Zone 4 Channel Islands
Zone 5 Republic of Ireland
Zone 6 Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg
Zone 7 France, Germany, Denmark,
Zone 8 Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece
Zone 9 Rest of Europe
Zone 10 USA, Canada
Zone 11 Far East, Australasia,
Zone 12 Rest of the World

Prices vary, but http://www.parcelforce.com/send-worldwide/non-account-servic... is the cheap one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@cggritt: Any chance you could fix up the entry in the Maths Trade Announcements Geeklist. There are no working links and only partial information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Weaver
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everybody. I'm a relatively new poster and I've been reading up on Maths Trades, and I think I've got it, so I'm looking to get involved in this. Apologies in advance if I stuff anything up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mstrwvr wrote:
Hi Everybody. I'm a relatively new poster and I've been reading up on Maths Trades, and I think I've got it, so I'm looking to get involved in this. Apologies in advance if I stuff anything up.

No worries! Just feel free to shoot away any questions or concerns you might have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Mwa ha ha ha ha
mbmbmbmbmb
helioa wrote:

Hey Helioa (or any other helpful BGGer). How do you add games from the OLWLG. I read somewhere else that you can re-use previous listings too but I have never managed to work out how.blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gritt
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TMVM wrote:
helioa wrote:

Hey Helioa (or any other helpful BGGer). How do you add games from the OLWLG. I read somewhere else that you can re-use previous listings too but I have never managed to work out how.blush

On the OLWLG homepage underneath the name of the trade there are a bunch of icons. The first one (might not be first for you as I have a slightly different view as the organiser) is an orange and white pill with a green plus symbol on it. Its rollover text says "Add/offer games in this maths trade". If you click it it will take you to a page listing your previous MTs in a drop-down box. Select a trade from the box and your items will be listed and you can add them from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Weaver
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
mstrwvr wrote:

No worries! Just feel free to shoot away any questions or concerns you might have.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Δημητρης Βασιαδης
Greece
Ζωγραφου, Αθηνα
Αττική
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks cggritt for organizing another one!

one small concern:
I'd like to point out that for heavy games (e.g. more than 2kg weight) shipping to some countries may cost up to 20-30 eur/gbp. Check with your postal service, it is almost certain they will offer an online cost estimation in their site.

Please do not offer free shipping if you are not ready to meet your cost.
You have NO CONTROL over to where you will be called to ship your games.
The transactions are not mutual, e.g. you do not send to the person you receive from. Do not hope that you will get a trade in your country with low shipping. There are localized maths trade for that cause.

Another concern: please state the condition of the game exactly. e.g. If you are going to ship the game in "perfect condition" but without a box, it is really important that you say so.

And another obvious statement: please DO NOT enter the trade if you are not ready to accept ANY result.

Greetings from Greece and good luck to you all!

PS

I'll steal Goateh's suggestion for UK shipping costs.
http://www.parcelforce.com/send-worldwide/non-account-servic... is the cheap one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Christopher. I never new about this. That saves a lot of time indeed. Nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Weaver
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've put my games for trade on the geeklist, and added my wants to the OLWLG - the OLWLG didn't go quite as I expected it to, I wasn't offered a dropdown list of the games I've got for trade when I clicked on "Add", so I just wrote them into the optional value box. Sound OK?

I didn't see a "submit" button either...

Am I supposed to wait until the geeklist is closed before I put my wants on the OLWLG? That makes more sense now I think about it, as people are going to be adding games up to that point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Mwa ha ha ha ha
mbmbmbmbmb
mstrwvr wrote:
So, I've put my games for trade on the geeklist, and added my wants to the OLWLG - the OLWLG didn't go quite as I expected it to, I wasn't offered a dropdown list of the games I've got for trade when I clicked on "Add", so I just wrote them into the optional value box. Sound OK?

I my experience it is worth waiting for for the TRade list & OLWLG to be locked before adding wants as it will continually update up until that time and things you have added to your want list may have changed. The drop down box should appear when you click add so it might just be that it hasn't updated yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Weaver
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TMVM wrote:
mstrwvr wrote:

I my experience it is worth waiting for for the TRade list & OLWLG to be locked before adding wants as it will continually update up until that time and things you have added to your want list may have changed. The drop down box should appear when you click add so it might just be that it hasn't updated yet.

Thanks - I just thought that might be the case and was editing my post to ask that at the same time as you responded. Your guidance is much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Mwa ha ha ha ha
mbmbmbmbmb
cggritt wrote:
On the OLWLG homepage underneath the name of the trade there are a bunch of icons. The first one (might not be first for you as I have a slightly different view as the organiser) is an orange and white pill with a green plus symbol on it. Its rollover text says "Add/offer games in this maths trade". If you click it it will take you to a page listing your previous MTs in a drop-down box. Select a trade from the box and your items will be listed and you can add them from there.

Thanks Chris. That is really useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
Dublin 14
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi is there a way to see what people offered for an item is the last maths trade? I had 2 items competing for one other item so it did not trade and I would like to see what I might have gotten before adding it back again this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nogser wrote:
Hi is there a way to see what people offered for an item is the last maths trade? I had 2 items competing for one other item so it did not trade and I would like to see what I might have gotten before adding it back again this time.

I'm not exactly sure if this is what you're asking for, but there is a "Who wanted mine" function. It's a simple text-link under the trade, and you should be able to find it quite easily in the OLWLG. If you're talking about the previous Euro one (November 2011), this link should work for you: http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/wantedby.cgi?listid=74302
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like there's not a seperate thread or geeklist to list the games you're hoping people add to the maths trade, so I'll list 'em here:

Promos:
Star Trek: Expeditions – Tribbles! Promo
Ora et Labora: Loamy Landscape
Lancaster: The New Laws

Games:
Glen More (english edition)
Dice Town: Wild West
Walnut Grove
Kingdom Builder
Antike Duellum
Prêt-à-Porter
Dr. Shark
Nefarious
Automobile
Santiago de Cuba
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard,

I have a shrinked Automobile that I'm wavering on. If you have something chunky from my want list I could be persuaded. Maybe even give me a shout directly.

Chris.

rahdo wrote:
Looks like there's not a seperate thread or geeklist to list the games you're hoping people add to the maths trade, so I'll list 'em here:

Promos:
Star Trek: Expeditions – Tribbles! Promo
Ora et Labora: Loamy Landscape
Lancaster: The New Laws

Games:
Glen More (english edition)
Dice Town: Wild West
Walnut Grove
Kingdom Builder
Antike Duellum
Prêt-à-Porter
Dr. Shark
Nefarious
Automobile
Santiago de Cuba

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you should list it anyway. even if i don't list something you're after, someone else might, and if they want something of mine, and you want their game, and i want your Automobile, the loop is complete. The more games everyone lists, the more chances for trades across the boards.

It seems to be a common misunderstanding to only list your games if you see that someone else has listed something you want. everyone should list everything to up the trade loop potential overall, that's how maths trades work

and as an added bonus, the more cool things get listed, the more likely other people are to list cool things...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base the Bass wrote:

http://www.parcelforce.com/send-worldwide/non-account-servic... is the cheap one.

Good comments. However the Parcelforce price schedule gives a scary picture of potential UK postal costs. As you stated - anything above 2 kgs outside the U.K. must go that route and it is expensive. If a person can keep the parcel under 2 kgs. they can still use Royal Mail - much cheaper to virtually anywhere in the world. This should be the schedule people need to look at.

In my case I keep all heavier games for the U.K. Math Trade only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
you should list it anyway. even if i don't list something you're after, someone else might, and if they want something of mine, and you want their game, and i want your Automobile, the loop is complete. The more games everyone lists, the more chances for trades across the boards.

It seems to be a common misunderstanding to only list your games if you see that someone else has listed something you want. everyone should list everything to up the trade loop potential overall, that's how maths trades work

Yep - fully aware of that. My hesitation is simply that I already have a number of entries in the MT and I could have a chunky postage cost if a number go through (presently unemployed, so cautious). As Automobile is one of my " better " offerings, it would firstly have a very short wish list and even then I might prefer to avoid further postage - UNLESS my grail wants appear in which case all restraint goes out of the window.

I have always been a big advocate of throwing the kitchen sink et al into the pot, but sometimes potential downside needs to be considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
Base the Bass wrote:

Good comments. However the Parcelforce price schedule gives a scary picture of potential UK postal costs. As you stated - anything above 2 kgs outside the U.K. must go that route and it is expensive. If a person can keep the parcel under 2 kgs. they can still use Royal Mail - much cheaper to virtually anywhere in the world. This should be the schedule people need to look at.

In my case I keep all heavier games for the U.K. Math Trade only.

You can use other services like parcel2ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.