The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Eleanor and Canceling When Revealed of a Shadow Effect rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Does Eleanor cancel "when revealed" text of a treachery card that WAS DRAWN FOR ITS SHADOW EFFECT?
For example, playing Carrock. Draw as a *shadow effect* "sacked". The shadow effect says to play the "when revealed" text of itself as the shadow effect. Can Eleanor cancel that?
I'm on the knife edge on this one. The card is being drawn for a shadow effect... so it is not being played literally as a treachery card... on the other hand it is labeled a treachery card and the "when revealed" effect has been specifically invoked.
I could not find an answer to this in the FAQ nor on a search here. Please advise... Aragon's life hangs in the balance ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lhughes41 wrote:
Does Eleanor cancel "when revealed" text of a treachery card that WAS DRAWN FOR ITS SHADOW EFFECT?

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Jennings
United States
El Cerrito
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When a card is drawn for its shadow effect, it is no longer considered a "Treachery" card, or an "Enemy" card or anything else. It is just a shadow effect. The only cards that interact with it are cards that deal specifically with shadow effects, such as Hasty Stroke.

Eleanor only defends against treachery cards, so she can't defend against shadow effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Engels
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides, "Sacked!" explicitly mentions (in its when revealed text) that it cannot be canceled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks everyone. I missed the sacked text :-( The reason I thought this was tricky was because the shadow effect says to use the "when revealed" text. Clear it does not apply at all in the sacked case. but thought might apply other times. O well.
Aragon got sacked then and immediately drew the card that kills sacked character. sigh. and we were looking "ok" in the mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you get to choose which one of your heroes is Sacked, why, why, why would you put Aragorn into the Sack? Hard to imagine he is your worst hero at that point, unless the rest were already dead, but since you were looking good, guessing no deaths.

When I played Carrock, Thalin, Dunhere and Theodred were usually the automatic choices in their decks to be Sacked, being the bottom of the barrel out of the three heroes in the decks. Only one where I had a hard time choosing was Denethor, Gloin, Glorfindel deck, everyone is valuable in that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Engels
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though you can't cancel "Sacked!", Eleanor is able to cancel "Roasted Slowly". At least if it's a treachery revealed during questing. If it was a shadow card from the very next troll attack, then you're fried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Think you're right it was 'roasted slowly' so maybe not all is lost :-)
I think I had to pick Aragorn because card said "the attacked character is sacked" as the shadow effect. Would have to doubt check

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lhughes41 wrote:
Think you're right it was 'roasted slowly' so maybe not all is lost :-)
I think I had to pick Aragorn because card said "the attacked character is sacked" as the shadow effect. Would have to doubt check

Shadow effect just says enact the When Revealed effect, no limitation added by the SE text, still just any hero controlled by the first player.

Interestingly, you would Sack your friend's hero if you're the second player, he the first player and you get Sacked Shadow effect for a Troll !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification on shadow effect. Don't think I would win points for sacking my wife's hero ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.