Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband helped my son pick out a present for me in TKMax, and the result was Quelf, a new party game for our collection. We play a lot of party games with the right crowd, so are always on the look-out for something new and different. This was new, and as it proved as the game went on, was definitely rather different!

Pretty much the first thing to happen was that Matt picked up a card telling him to make a snorkel from household objects before the start of his next turn. After a few false starts, he headed for our scrap paper pile, and managed to locate a large elastic band too - hey presto, one snorkel. However, he did have to wear this until the rest of the game - and paper disintegrates when it gets wet..... Yum (not!).

Sami's turn seemed quite tame by comparison, then I had to get up and spin around 7 times with your eyes shut - at which point we realised the point in the rules of "If you can't do something safely, don't do it!". I cleared enough space to do my spins, and then it was my husband's turn to do them too. We very nearly ended up with a major water spillage as he spun into the full water jug, but luckily he missed!

Next Colin had a card that meant everything he said had to be questions. Not too bad you say? It turned out to be surprisingly difficult especially in the red card rounds. Red card rounds you say? Go round the table naming things that satisfy the card until someone fluffs or takes more than 10 seconds to think of one. For example, words that rhyme with enormous - or maybe not - my husband seemed to have a mental block here, and came up with lots of words, but none of them with the right ending! Not as funny as colours with one syllable though - "Blue", "Red", "Er....er....er.....er.......I give up, there aren't any more". "Pink, Black, White, Grey, Green, even things like mauve?". "Ooops". Things with cheese was just as bad - "Cheesecake", "I was going to say that, there isn't anything else is there? Dolcelatte?" "That is cheese! What about pizza, your favourite food?!? Or fondue, or.., or...". Suffice it to say that we weren't on the same wavelength as this game for red cards, and given that we regularly play Pass the Bomb using cards from Tell Me: The Grand Quiz Game, and also play games like Them & Us or Tension: The Crazy Naming Game, I'm not quite sure what the problem was - it looked like it should be just the same!

The Quelf effect cards were definitely the most painful though. Matt ate bits of his snorkel at intervals during the game - the paper was about two-thirds of its original length by game end. I had to put my thumbs in my mouth and touch my shoulders with my fingers - which involved crossing your arms, and also gave me painful sores on my mouth by the end of the game - not to mention hair problems, as my hair got messed up with it all! Colin had to pretend to be a woman, which was quite amusing as he basically imitated me, including the giggling fits!

A key skill for this game does seem to be remembering childhood games. Matt challenged Colin to a thumb war, and Colin didn't knoew what he had to do - I'm not sure the results would have been allowed in any official thumb war tournament, but it was fun to watch! And despite having three kids aged 6 and under, I was unable to correctly remember the words and actions to either pat a cake or the teapot song - in my defence I knew the words or one and the actions to the other, just couldn't manage the complete deal either time.

I think we were all getting quite hysterical by mid-game, and even the smallest things set us off. At one point there was a really loud "Meoooow" all of a sudden. I jumped in surprise, "What was that?". My next statement of "Oh, it's a cat" in tones of real surprise just meant that none of the rest of the table were able to participate in the game for nearly five minutes for laughing - it wasn't just any old cat that had wandered into the room, it was our cat, and it was quite natural for him to meow to be let out!

I won, and Matt and I in particular were very glad to get rid of our Quelf effects, but I think we'll be back for more pain, as well as lots of fun. (Stand as a star until your next turn - don't play with AP players!!!!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My 15 year old daughter loves this game.It seems to be a good game for a group of teenagers and maybe some adventerous adults.The red cards are the worse part of the game to me as the answers given can be hard to prove or know sometimes like one of the red cards has you name movies that are in black and white.So someone can give some name of an old movie and no one might really know if it is really in black and white or not.It just seems there have been arguments in some of the games we played regarding the answers to the red cards.Other than that it is a fun game to play.I like the rule cards the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like you had a really good time playing this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Briggs
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I know what you mean. A hilarious subject is what you throw away in the trash bin you must retrieve from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.