Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title says; what, in your opinion, makes one a better game than the other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is better in that it has more depth and more of a feel of building something longterm.

Galaxy Trucker is better because its play time is short enough that it will hit the table more often, because it uses spatial sense, and because it is frantic fun. Galaxy Trucker is also better because it is easier to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildly Different games. (just figured out the link)

Galaxy Trucker: Quick and can even be shorted, simple rules, immediately fun but with limited depth. Not a design masterpiece at all but the ship building mechanic is truly brilliant.

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization: Much longer game, that takes longer to learn and is more complicated, with a good deal more depth and further strategic hidden depth, arguably not immediately fun; fun comes after investing time. Perhaps a design masterpiece but its grand scale does create associated problems.

Looking at your ratings and games I'd get both but start with Galaxy Trucker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages is better because it has a huge variety of different cards.

Galaxy Trucker is better because it has fantastic tiles, boards, and lots of fun bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker is perfect for when its 11:30pm, there's just one more beer left to taste, and no one is quite ready to go home yet.

Through the Ages is perfect for when its raining outside, your chum(s) have finished lunch, and everyone is ready for a serious game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated above, TtA is a long complex game. Galaxy Trucker is a 90 minute puzzle-like game.

Personally, I would pick TtA over Galaxy Trucker, but you have to know your audience. Galaxy Trucker is infinitely more approachable than TtA. TtA is for hard core gamers only and requires abotu 4 hours to play.

All that said, I would recommend another Vlaada game: Dungeon Lords over either of the above; it has some puzzle elements as well as a bit of a "building" theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternately, if your friends want to have fun and then someone wins, go with with Galaxy Trucker.

If your friends can't stand not being in control of their resources, you better go with Through the Ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it worth getting Galaxy Trucker based on its expandability? Or is TtA's replayablity so high it doesn't matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halliday
United Kingdom
Herts.
flag msg tools
Overclock Epic Fail!
badge
Please note I am no longer very active on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:

Looking at your ratings and games I'd get both but start with Galaxy Trucker.

Seconded. And in between buying them you could try out TtA online at http://www.boardgaming-online.com/ if you can find a two or three others to join you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
Is it worth getting Galaxy Trucker based on its expandability? Or is TtA's replayablity so high it doesn't matter?

I played Galaxy Trucker about a half dozen times (and had the big box expansion) and grew bored with it.

I have played over 400 games of TtA, mostly online, and still enjoy every play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
Myoman wrote:

I played Galaxy Trucker about a half dozen times (and had the big box expansion) and grew bored with it.

I have played over 400 games of TtA, mostly online, and still enjoy every play.

Agreed.

TtA's replayability is immeasurable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both.

Galaxy Trucker is pure chaotic fun! If you get the expansion, it is very replayable - but only if you like spatial puzzles. Almost my favorite game of all time.

Through the Ages is much more of a gamers game. Not to my taste (although there are plenty of gamers-olny type games that I love). Kindof long for the payoff. I also believe it has clunky mechanics. I'll play it I guess, but I won't suggest it.

I think both are Try-Before-You-Buy types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.