Popular Tags: [View All]
Omar Germino
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had not owned Puerto Rico but have played with friends' copies, so when I heard of the anniversary printing, I felt it was high time to get myself a copy of the game that for so long claimed the top spot on the 'Geek. These are my first impressions upon receiving the game today.

corn The box design makes it look like a book, which makes it fitting that I store my games vertically on a bookshelf.

indigo The photo of the game components on the back of the box is so obviously Photoshopped from the German edition that it's sort of painful to look at. After overlaying the English versions of all the plantations and buildings, they left in the German building board. Compare the German back to the English back. Would it really have been that difficult to set up a shot with the actual English components? But I suppose I should give some credit, as more effort was put in than on the original Puerto Rico English edition back.

sugar Upon opening the box, I was greeted with exceptionally thick cardboard pieces. I mean exceptionally thick. Nearly twice as thick as the pieces from Elasund, which I had felt to be quite thick to begin with. I'm sure these pieces will stand up to any amount of play thrown at them.

tobacco There is no compartmentalized box insert like the one that comes in the original Puerto Rico. Everything is just bagged, which I can live with. Out of the box, the doubloons, colonists, nobles, and goods are all in their own bags, and six additional bags are provided. After punching out all the cardboard pieces, I came up with the following bag allocation: (1) VP chips and ships, (2) plantations and quarries, (3) all non-expansion small buildings, (4) non-expansion large buildings and role cards, (5) "New Buildings" buildings, (6) "Nobles" buildings.

coffee I know there are some strong feelings regarding the copper color of the new doubloons, but I for one don't really care that they look more like pennies. They're metallic, which in itself is a great improvement over the cardboard coins of the original Puerto Rico. It makes it feel like we're trading in actual currency.

I hope to be able to get a play in soon, as it's been some time since my last game of Puerto Rico. I look forward to the clinking of metal coins, the shipping of wooden crates, and the handling of hefty cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First Impressions Upon Receiving the English Edition
ogermino wrote:

indigo The photo of the game components on the back of the box is so obviously Photoshopped from the German edition that it's sort of painful to look at. After overlaying the English versions of all the plantations and buildings, they left in the German building board. Compare the German back to the English back. Would it really have been that difficult to set up a shot with the actual English components? But I suppose I should give some credit, as more effort was put in than on the original Puerto Rico English edition back.

I have been very disappointed with the lack of quality of Rio-Grande’s translations recently. From the major mistakes in the Famiglia and Black Friday english rules as well as the Stone Age Style is the Goal english rules… and title (Really that’s the title???) and now this. I know that the back of the box doesn’t affect game play but then again neither did the original edition of the game. The reason that you pay the high cost for the anniversary edition is to get a high quality version. But here we have yet another poorly reprinted German version.

This is slipping down my wish list very fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First Impressions Upon Receiving the English Edition
ogermino wrote:
tobacco There is no compartmentalized box insert like the one that comes in the original Puerto Rico. Everything is just bagged, which I can live with. Out of the box, the doubloons, colonists, nobles, and goods are all in their own bags, and six additional bags are provided. After punching out all the cardboard pieces, I came up with the following bag allocation: (1) VP chips and ships, (2) plantations and quarries, (3) all non-expansion small buildings, (4) non-expansion large buildings and role cards, (5) "New Buildings" buildings, (6) "Nobles" buildings.

What I found humourous was that, although they generously gave a number of baggies, they seemed perfectly just the wrong size. Like, if they were a smidgen bigger, everything of like type would fit in perfectly and you'd have spares. But they're just too small that I have to split things into multiple bags, and if I split them logically, there are too few of them.

Not a big deal at all, I can supply my own. Still, I found it humourous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry
United States
carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Not sure why so many people are whining. We played the anniversary edition last night and it looks great. The coins are fantastic too.

Job well done, and a worthy limited edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Overall, I do like the Anniversary Edition... the illustrated building counters were LONG overdue, and I do like how thick/durable-looking everything is. And ships that now look like ships, instead of cards? Gotta luv that.

But yeah, the copper doubloons for the US version are pretty much a travesty. As in, "Arrr ye matey, pass me some... pennies?"

A strange fail in what is otherwise mostly a pretty nice (albeit pricey) release.

Others have noted that the included baggies aren't really up to the job, and that's probably true... I got around this by using a Plano box for most of the stuff, with just a few baggies on the side.

Plano boxes r the best. thing. EVER. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP on all points. If you don't have PR already (like me, who had sold my copy long ago), this is the edition to get. You get all things Puerto Rico, with HUGELY upgraded components and one rulebook, for about $20 more than if you bought vanilla Puerto Rico and the Treasure Chest to obtain the same thing. Since it's a limited edition, even if you play it and hate it, your copy will keep its value or even appreciate a little bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too agree with the points. I couldn't help but stare at the boxes and their components. let's not forget about the new box smell...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy is in the mail - can't wait! I did not own the original but played friends copies. I'm sure I'll be plenty satisified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.