Elder Sign» Forums » Variants

Subject: Higher Difficulty Variant without Mythos cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justaguy Gaming
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Came up with this system to avoid explaining special rules for Mythos cards to new players and why they were implemented. I was finding I was adopting too many exceptions so I came up with this idea and sealed away the Mythos cards. Plus, I think rolling for an effect, places a bit more interest/tension than just flipping over a card granted...

Each stroke of midnight is an automatic Doom Token.

However, the lingering effect is based on a dice roll.

Magnifying Glass 1-3 = Next stroke of midnight, a Monster appears! (Could make a 3 = 2 monsters as the game progresses or at the start) Place the Monster token next to the clock as a reminder until it is time to place it on an Adventure card.
Scroll = Next stroke of midnight, -2 to sanity for all investigators, Place 2 Sanity tokens next to the clock as a reminder.
Skull = Next stroke of midnight, -2 to stamina for all investigators, Place 2 Health tokens next to the clock as a reminder.
Terror = The next adventure card to be resolved is replaced with an Otherworld card. Place the Otherworld card face down below the adventure cards and use it to replace the next resolved Adventure card.

I plan to create a small table in my rule summary as a quick reminder for players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Overlord
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this....a lot. I'd almost rather have doom tokens added instead of the otherworld adventure, seems more terror(y) Ha! new word. maybe make it

1 investigation = 1 monster
2 investigation = 2 monsters
3 invstigation = otherworld adventure instead of normal
combat (skull) = -2 stamina
lore (scroll) = -2 sanity
terror = +2 doom tokens

Actually, I see a potential for an expansion here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justaguy Gaming
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Glad you like it.

Do you mean +2 Doom tokens including the Midnight one? +2 Doom tokens might be too much (depending on any other houserules in place too) with every midnight adding at least one, but I like your variation with just +1 doom token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I really really want this game to be more difficult, I don't like the idea of a doom token being added every turn automatically, and I don't see how rolling a die and referring to a chart is better than the effects that are already on the Mythos cards. The game should be easy enough to learn for new players, and that doesn't really add any complication. What do you mean by "I was adopting too many exceptions"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justaguy Gaming
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Changes to specific Mythos cards. For example, some cards I wasn't a fan of in terms of making sure everyone was remembering the effects for each of their rolls. I can see things from your view as a devil's advocate. There is certainly a downside to it, but I think I will end up preferring this system over the base one. And of course, the great thing about houserules is you get to choose or not choose them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Overlord
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my original thought was a total of 3 doom tokens, but that was thinking only about Azathoth, not any of the other GOO. perhaps a total of 2 would be sufficient. I do however think that whatever is rolled should take effect on the turn rolled (I don't like that the investigators know what is coming at midnight). I think it would add more tension to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justaguy Gaming
United States
flag msg tools
mb
jaybarlekamp wrote:
my original thought was a total of 3 doom tokens, but that was thinking only about Azathoth, not any of the other GOO. perhaps a total of 2 would be sufficient. I do however think that whatever is rolled should take effect on the turn rolled (I don't like that the investigators know what is coming at midnight). I think it would add more tension to the game.

Interesting thought as well. I'll think that over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Overlord
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to play a few solo games tonight with this variant. I'll let you know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
We just plop 1 to 3 doom tokens down at the start, with the monsters that come with them, depending on how close to the edge you want to be. It seems to work fine. Remember that some co-op players want to win 80% of the time and others want to win 20% of the time. Some scaling is needed to make both those groups happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justaguy Gaming
United States
flag msg tools
mb
grandslam wrote:
We just plop 1 to 3 doom tokens down at the start, with the monsters that come with them, depending on how close to the edge you want to be. It seems to work fine. Remember that some co-op players want to win 80% of the time and others want to win 20% of the time. Some scaling is needed to make both those groups happy.

I could probably think of ways to scale the difficulty.

Dark Overlord: Hope it turns out well. My biggest concern with the effects taking immediately are characters with a very low stat, like a 3 for sanity or health. This would mean they would have to be topped off on that stat at all times. I'm leaning toward making the scroll -1 to Sanity and increasing Sanity penalties by 1 on tasks. The Skull would do the same effect with Stamina. Easy enough to mark the Adventure cards with a stamina or sanity token next to the sanity penalties.

Another solution would be the scroll forces all players to discard 2 trophies and the skull is a -1 to both sanity and stamina.

Edit:

Tested out with Yig with the rolled effect being immediate and the task penalty idea above. Keep in mind I had the no purchase of Elder Signs in effect and a 4 hour advancement per turn and penalty. This was done with all the house rules I have been using. Was very lucky with no terror results and the investigators won with 1 Doom Token space that would have been filled within 2 turns. The increase to Sanity and stamina task penalties only really hit one round. I'm going to simplify things a bit.

1 Mag Glass = 1 Monster
2 Mag Glass = 2 Monsters
3 Mag Glass = Otherworld placed on Adventure deck
Skull = -1 Stamina to all investigators
Scroll = -1 Sanity to all investigators
Terror = Doom Token (New alternate, advance the clock as if another player turn passed)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justaguy Gaming
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Tested my Variant with the 4 hour advance for the terror result against Azathoth. With No elder sign purchasing, 4 hour advance per player turn, and equal distribution of monsters. I also tossed in Otherworld cards replacing Adventure cards. The result was pretty close, the investigators winning with Azathoth 3 Doom tokens away but no ES in sight and monsters starting to double up. So in term of my blend of house rules I think I will adopt this variant rule.

Edit:
Changing the die result back to a lingering effect and making some more adjustments. Already playtested and working out pretty well. The reason I took out the Other World result was there are only 8 Other World cards and I would like to see more of the regular adventure cards.

1 Investigation = 1 Monster (Place 1 Monster token next to the clock)
2 Investigation = 2 Monsters (Place 2 Monster tokens next to the clock)
3 Investigation = Adventure Cards with arrows can have their tasks completed in any order, but 1 green die is locked (Place 1 green die next to the clock)
Skull = -2 Stamina or Sanity to all investigators (Place a stamina and sanity token next to clock)
Scroll = All investigators must make a Lost and Found roll
Terror = Advance the clock 6 hours after a player turn (3 hour normal)

Thinking of making a list of these results with ES art and then use a simple marker like a glass stone to mark the effect.

Edit:

After trying out Maik's variant with this and some other house rules, I'm tweaking this along with his awesome variant so they fit well together. The new results using the following house rules, almost all ideas I got from this forum.

1) Monsters are equally distributed and as seperate tasks connected to the Adventure cards. Meaning they do not have to follow an order when a card has the arrow on it.
2) No purchasing of Elder Signs.
3) Otherworld and Adventure cards with Doom icons in the reward area, remove a doom token from the Doom track.
4) When an Adventure card has an Other World icon in the reward area, it is replaced by an Other World card.
5)Maik's variant (Uses the setup with 6 cards, for the first round only, the 3 cards furthest from the Entrance are faced down, movement of 2 cards is allowed but the Investigator will "accidently" drop 2 Trophies or a clue/item/spell)
6) Assist and Focus can be used on the same roll. I found this is so rare that I don't think it's broken at all.
7) My variant (Scroll changed with the addition of Maik's variant)
Result must always be different from the last. Roll until a different result is received.
1 Investigation: A monster appears and the clock advances 4 hours per turn and penalty.
2 Investigation = 2 Monsters
3 Investigation = Adventure Cards with arrows can have their tasks completed in any order, but 1 green die is locked
Skull = -2 Stamina or Sanity to all investigators
Lore = Remove one monster from a card with the most monster tokens and advance the clock 4 hours per player turn and penalty
Terror = Advance the clock 6 hours per player turn and penalties

01/14/12 Tested again with Cthulu as the "big bad." While Investigators did not fail much at all, much thought had to be put into what tasks to take on, when to resolve a task, and how to position players. Defeated Cthulu 13-9 with the dice on the investigators' side for the most part. I should mention that the Otherworld card that gives you 3 ES was resolved. The lingering effect for 3 Investigations was rolled 3, maybe 4 times, and it really does change things up from a strategy standpoint. Meaning tasks that would be normally attempted were avoided and others that normally would be avoided would be attempted (yet not always resolved ). I think I've have hit the sweet spot on the challenge and pacing of the game. It goes much faster now, too fast until I ditched the 4 hour clock movement for player turns and penalties. As for the challenge this can be very difficult, near seemingly unwinnable against Shub if you get too unlucky on the monster spawns. I brought her down a notch with the Lore lingering effect but she is still tough as hell to beat. I think for a game like this, you want a boss that gives you the "we're so screwed" feeling when you have the right group of people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.